Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CG, VARADERO comments?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 20:06 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: CG, VARADERO comments? Reply with quote

ages ago i saw the CG in a bike magazine sniffed at the looks the specs thought it was crap thought no more

i have heard from everyone that the engine is amazingly reliable, and i also saw one parked outside the garden centre where i work, and it really didnt look all that bad, it was blue and well kept, and looked ok, something i could live with

does anyone know what its like, because it would be a good learner, i can over look the bloody terrible drum brakes at both ends, but how fast does it go, whats it like to ride, you think its a good idea?

also the varadero, ive started considering this aswell, looks reasonable, 15 bhp isnt too bad, reasonable specs, anyone know anything about these

i kind of want a road bike, as opposed to a trailie, the only trailie i would consider is the KMX or DT, after finding out the insurance on the supermoto's from husky, and the aprilia ETX 125 is way over a grand, they are obviously fast, but im not paying 1700 for the insurance

i dont really like the look of trailie's they dont look right on the road, and i cant see them being aerodynamic, cos you are right upright, and would fight with the wind constantly on motorways etc, and it would be uncomfortable for long trips

i will go for one if its all i can afford when the time comes, and if people say its worth it

sorry, there are a lot of points in this post, and lots of questions, id appreciate any response about the three/four bikes i mentioned:

varadero
CG
DT
KMX

im also considering the Planet from Cagiva

so anyone who knows about that would be good too

many thanks again
kind regards

Shamrock
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:29 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: varadero Reply with quote

Im thinking about the Varadero aswell cos its in a very cheap insurance group. It looks good and has a comfortable and safer driving position. Its four stroke v-twin engine woudnt be the nippiest but it does sound good! Also like the way the lights and indicators blend into the fairing.
Unfortunately since its just out there wont be any second hand ones for a while. And you'll pay IR£4,500 for a new one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:15 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think you are best off looking at other insurance companies. Although an ETX or the like might well be more than a DT to insure, in reality I doubt it will be any more than an NSR / RS / Mito, and most people seem to manage to get that for a fair bit less than £1000.

The CG is OK. Brakes will not be as good as the NSR, but then it is nowhere near as quick. Top speed is around 65, but some do more (a friend had one that could be persuaded to go over 70 with a pillion). Fuel consumption is brilliant. Build quality is not great on some of the models of CG.

All the best

Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen

PostPosted: 21:43 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at alot of bikes and found that all 4 stroke 125's (like the CG) were just too slow. None of them do more than 65mph- which IMO is not practical for long trips cos up hills and into the wind it will be more like 55mph. I thought seriously about triallies (particularly the DT) but ended up getting a cagiva planet. I love the looks but I've only just got it and haven't ridden it on the road yet, only on some private land but it was quick up to the 40mph I had out of it. My main reason for getting it was that it was a good deal cos it had minor cosmetic damage and little problems- but I've got it running for under £50. If you're willing to do minor repairs yourself you can save alot of money.
You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:28 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: CG, VARADERO comments? Reply with quote

The CG isn't a bad .little bike, I had one as my first bike... thought 'I'll keep this a year or two then get a bigger bike'.
After about four weeks I was bored of it... at least with a two stroke you can derestrict it and get pretty decent acceleration. After a while I even managed to get the pegs down a few times (scary with all-over rubber coated pegs!) I tend to be like this with most bikes but the CG was definatley worse... especially on open dual carriges, if you're using just in toen or on small roads it's not so bad and I'd definatley go for one over a scooter for town use.

Stevo

PostPosted: 23:09 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like G i also used to have a CG as a winter bike. It was slow but fun! 60-65mph is normal, and 55 up hills/ winds etc. Its so cheap to run, easy to service and repair, and practical as well. They do actually handle sort of with new MT65's fitted, and i used to hang off it and get pegs down from time to time. I might even admit to putting a few scuffs on my knee sliders so that when i went out on my zx6 i didnt look like a pussy. My m8's CG had a terminal engine failure at 39,000. A main bearing broke up. It was still running but sounded awful. We got a motor from a breakers and put that in, before thrashing the hell out of it again! You can do the big bike trick of switching off the ignition on the CG as you go under a bridge etc, sort of shotgun sound anyway. I could wheelie my CG, but not as easy as my KMX200, but any prick could wheelie one of those.
My advice is get a road 125 if you really dont like trail bikes, but dont pay silly money. spend no more than £1500-£2000 on a 125, new NSR's aint worth it, unless you have money to burn. A plannet is nice, as are some of the older sports 125's if you find a nice one. A guy down my road has a lovely TZR125, white/blue, its only an E reg but looks almost new.

Stevo

PostPosted: 23:13 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot, the TDR125 is a top 125, and is probably the one that i would seek out, if i was looking, Otherwise a KH125 is a nice commuter, and they are probably a fair bit better than a CG.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 23:21 - 02 Apr 2002    Post subject: what makes are those pls Reply with quote

what makes are those pls

Doddmaster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 03 Apr 2002    Post subject: makes Reply with quote

TDR is an old paris=dakar style big trailie thing - from YAMAHA
KH 125 *i think* is kawasakis competitor to the CG (which is a Honda btw)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:38 - 03 Apr 2002    Post subject: makes Reply with quote

I thought the TDR was a small capacity TDM stylee thing (but with a slightly more super-moto orientation)

Stevo

PostPosted: 21:46 - 03 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, thats right the TDR is like a factory supermoto, with cast wheels, an upright riding position, but it also has a top fairing. Its not as tall as a trail bike, and handles well on road. The one annoying thing is the 18" front wheel, so its a bit restricted on tyre choice. It has the DTR engine which means its slow when restricted, but in full 26hp mode it does around 85-88mph, and is reliable being a yamaha. You can get a rear givi rack and top box kit for it so its even practical, another bonus is the electric start, unlike a trail bike.
The KH 125 is sort of like a Kawasaki version of a CG, but with a fairly responsive 2 stroke motor, that reaches 70mph easily enough, and accelerates faster than a CG being a stroker. It has a quite decent disc brake at the front, so it stops better as well. If you found a nice one it would be a hell of a lot better than a CG to ride. The pre 82 ones had a bigger carb, 15hp, and were about 5mph faster, so it could be made a bit quicker as well if you wanted.

Shamrock
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:45 - 04 Apr 2002    Post subject: speedometers Reply with quote

If bikes like the TDR 125 only do 85ish mph why does the speedometer go up to 110ish mph??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Scooby
Scrappy Doo

PostPosted: 15:20 - 04 Apr 2002    Post subject: does it really matter??? Reply with quote

Does it really matter why the speedo's go up to 110mph???

Might just be an incentive to tune it to f*ck????

---scooby---
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dylan
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:14 - 05 Apr 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only managed to get 60mph out of my moms CG, any tuningadvice????(then agin it is 30yrs old or summin, was the earliest model). The carb seems to be permantly out of adjustment, and the tappets are never right!!!!
Dyl
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1