Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nothing Ever Goes Right.. (Rant)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 20:30 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Nothing Ever Goes Right.. (Rant) Reply with quote

attempted to fit a centre stand to the tiger today, it did not go well

the instructions were a total laugh, they would tell you to remove something, do something, refit something, then tighten the bolts hidden behind the thing you just refit, so there is no way in hell there is any access... who the fuck! writes these instructions, do they just tell some chimp behind a desk to come up with something ....

they would also tell you to tighten certain bolts to a certain torque, and then at the end of the instructions they would send you back to those bolts to tighten them to three times that torque, if you tighten something to 10Nm then there isnt going to be any play in it, so why the fuck not just tighten it to 37Nm in the first place?!

throughout the whole process you would come across lots of bolts that use the torx head rather than a standard bolt head or hex head, triumph seem to love this, WHY?!

i bet 50% of you dont have a collection of torx head sockets, i thought the reason for using these bolts was security, but triumph put them everywhere Evil or Very Mad

they are shit because; when you locate either the socket or the head in, there is loads of play in it, whereas a hex head is absolutely solid, the sizing is also dubious which means sometimes two heads appear to fit, but they both end up rounding it off

basically the upshot is, that i was told to torque tighten my rear brake pivot bolt to 37Nm and it sheared on me, the rear brake pivot bolt had one of these stupid torx heads... Evil or Very Mad

which brings me on to torque wrenches, you would think that using a torque wrench gives you 100% protection against shearing or rounding bolts, but apparently not, first off you cant trust it, when sold it will probably be +/- 3% accuracy, then the first time you leave it wound on to a torque and forget about it, you may well have completely fucked its accuracy

on top of that if you dont hold it right, then you are gonna make it misread as well, there are so many variables that im thinking of just not bothering anymore, be better off letting a blind monkey tighten your bolts for you

i followed the manual to the word, and still managed to shear a vital bolt, so why do we fucking bother, i would have been better just guessing

the stand itself isnt impressive, its almost vertical rather than slightly canted, so the slightest knock to the bike and it will just roll of it anyway, and i nearly gave myself a hernia just trying to lift the fucker on to it

it really sucks when something you used to enjoy doing and/or thought you were good at.... goes wrong so much and so often Thumbs Down Thumbs Down Thumbs Down leaves me with not a lot that im good at

its more than likely just me, but all the bikes ive owned seem designed to fail from the moment they roll off the showroom floor Middle Finger
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:38 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Ouch, you do not seem to have much luck.

Once used a torque wrench on a cylinder head bolt and landed up snapping it. Turned out the torque wrench was reading about half what it should have been.

Had a quick check in the TT600 manual and that lists the bolt for the rear brake pivot (presume the bolt you mean is the one on the rear brake lever) to be done up to 27Nm.

All the best

Keith

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 01 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the monkeys writeing the manuals quite often get things wrong, or dont think about them... try to get a workshop manual (official triumph one) and ignore every torque setting you read anywhere else.. EVEN haynes.

Try not to let it get you down, make sure to let the stand maker how shat they are and put it down to experiance.. (theres worse bolts to snap like you can see! Shocked)

Torque wrenches do go wrong like kickstart said, if you overstress it at any point, i.e. seting it to 10nm and tightening with 20nm past its click it will often comepletely shaft the spring/caliberation, even then some are just crap and go wrong of their own accord.. Halfords wrench is (i think) gaurenteed for life, not sure, but they are good stuff anyway... Thats the thing with snap on stuff, even though its bloody expensive you can phone them, tell them its broken, give them the serial number and they send you a brand spanking new one! that is for life.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 17:32 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:
.. EVEN haynes.

ESPECIALLY Haynes....

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 02 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use a torque wrench as they lie like bastards. i did use one a few times but i ended up sheering the rounding bolts.

Now i use a normal socket set. With expirence you can feel when things are about to snap or round and you can feel roughly how much torque you have applied.

If you just just the torque settings as a guide you can figure out of things need to have play in them or not and tighten them accordingly.

Instructions are for women, no man should ever consider looking at them, it violates all the rules we live by Laughing Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

webby
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:23 - 05 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you`re in the navy then just go see the stokers or wafu`s n they`ll have torque wrench calibration equipment which itself is also calibrated, which should mean it`s accurate, but then it is the navy so don`t take anything 4 granted!!!! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1