Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


My bike has no centre stand - problem for the test??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

jimster
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:22 - 09 May 2005    Post subject: My bike has no centre stand - problem for the test?? Reply with quote

I've had my CG125 a week, and I'm going to do the theory test ASAP (already done it for cars) and then book a practical test ASAP. Reason I need to be so quick is that I finish studying at the beginning of July and am going travelling for at least two/three months. So that gives me about 50 days to do both theory and practical! My CBT runs out in about 15 months as well.

Now, I did my full car test last year so I know what they look for in that and I'm going to try and get a day of lessons before doing the test, but probably only one as I don't have the time!

I've seen the incredibly useful post by Slavo (eg https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27360&highlight=test)

Only slight concern - my bike doesn't have a centre stand! (apparently the Honda CG125W didn't have one) - is that a problem for the test? I know how to put a bike on a centre stand, but if I can't prove it, will I fail? Eek!

Also, I think my speedo is under-reporting my speed, as I am always being overtaken by cars when I'm doing 30-35 indicated, although there may just be a lot of speeders in Oxford! How do I get it checked out easily?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minky_monkey
Traffic Copper



Joined: 01 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:23 - 09 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought the centrestand should be an issue.

Do you they actually expect you to demonstrate that on a full test? If they do, surely they would let you do it on another bike.


As for the speedo, have you got a mate with another car or bike. Get them to follow you. It's not foolproof, but it will give you an idea as to whether the speedo is out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:00 - 09 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't fail on the spot checks anyway (nor on the pillion questions as you have already done a theory test) , I remember my intructor telling me.

The worst that will happen on a tell me how , and show me how is you get 2 minors on your test , which you are allowed 15, since you are only going to do 2 checks during the entire test , you can't get 5 minors in this subject area alone ,

though if you get 13 minors and the two for the spot checks you'll fail
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:41 - 09 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

I never put my sr125 on its centre stand and wasn't asked to either. It won't be a problem. Thumbs Up Plenty of people do their tests on bikes without a centre stand Smile

Re: the speedo - you could always buy a cheap bicycle speedo that works by reading the road and NOT the magnet round the wheel trick. That would help to see if it is out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 09 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe lack of a centre stand shouldn't be a problem.
As for speedo if you're having lessons beforehand check with the instructor if they have calibrated speedos on their bikes (some places use ex-police kit that'll have them as standard). Then during the lesson they can let you know how fast you actually do go.

I think you'll find being overtaken at 30 by a car is a sign the car driver is impatient and doesn't want to be held up by a poxy small bike with L plates Rolling Eyes
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jimster
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 09 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
I think you'll find being overtaken at 30 by a car is a sign the car driver is impatient and doesn't want to be held up by a poxy small bike with L plates Rolling Eyes


Thanks for all the helpful advice! That's what I was thinking, but cars do all seem to be going 5mph approx faster than me.

Anyway I've had a good idea on how to solve this problem - one of my friends has a GPS unit that measures speed, so I'll borrow that and see what my 'true' speed is! Bonza Smile

I've decided to get into the habits of driving to test standard (so no more "clutch in & coast to stop" for me!). Tried it this morning already, it's very easy to get into bad practices.

Now off to book my theory test, hope I can get a late cancellation or summat. Can't believe I have to do it *again!* after already doing the car one. All I want to know is, when you can buy a book with all the answers in, how does anyone fail?? And the stupid 'hazard awareness' test, where you jut click a button randomly and pass. Driver-testing policy in this country is obviously designed by a room full of half-asleep baboons whose approach is 'we've been told to make the test better and we don't know how to do that, so we'll just make it uneccesarily complicated' Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nc30 chick
Traffic Copper



Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 09 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not fail for not using a centre stand, i took my test last year and my bike did not have one, the instructor never mentioned it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 4.96 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 54.98 Kb