Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This evening I have mostly been...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 17 May 2005    Post subject: This evening I have mostly been... Reply with quote

Doing a track day at Donington Park! Mr. Green (On the Grand Prix circuit too!)

My very first track effort and I loved every second of it. Well, maybe not the 2 minutes I was sat waiting to go out for my first session, I was bricking it then!

Some mates had booked to do the evening event and I went along on the bike to have a look. Simon had said to me that he'd read the regs and it said that leathers were preferred, but not mandatory. So, went down to signing on with them, asked if there was a space in Novices and out came the flexible fiend!

Whay and indeed Hey! Laughing Cool

So, some taped up headlights later and one removed number plate, a short and amusing briefing by lead marshall/instructor Jamie Whitham, and there I sat, at the end of the pitlane waiting to go out.

Weather held off and it was bright, dry and sunny. Took it really steady on the first two or three laps then just found it easy to hold third (what I thought was fourth initially) for most of the lap apart from the two hairpins. It was more a getting to learn the track experience but I amazed myself that I I had managed to lose my chicken strips (all but about 2mm) on my rear tyre after the first session. Shocked Never been that far down on the road!

Three sessions of about 20 minutes each and felt myself pushing progressively harder in each one. Wasn't the slowest by far, in fact, I kept catching most people on the brake into Fogartys and Melbourne. As well as passing teo guys on R1's who just nailed it on the straights and were dawdling big time in the twisty bits.

So, moral of the story is. Find out whether organisers definately require leathers next time!

One of the lads took a few pictures of me in the last session, which I'm hoping to get e-mailed to me tomorrow, so I'll post it if I get chance.

Adam Thumbs Up

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 17 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it Thumbs Up

Now get yourself booked for the full day at the end of June Wink

Never heard of a trackday organiser letting people on without leathers though Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 17 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing you had a textile suit / 2 peice setup?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 17 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Method wrote:
Guessing you had a textile suit / 2 peice setup?

Yeah, it's HG mixture, leather and textile. Mainly textile on the trousers, but mainly leather on the jacket.

I think they just weren't paying that much attention to be fair. There were two other people that I saw without full leathers.

Mine zip together the same as leathers, and if I wear them on the road why the hell should it be different on a track? Rolling Eyes Question

cbrbiker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:36 - 17 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had fun Adam! Very Happy

Personally, required or not, I don't think I'd go out on track without me leathers... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

V4
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 04:21 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there noise restrictions on track days? I'd love to try one, but my faddy daddy can is a mouthy sod Rolling Eyes

LEON
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 09:05 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are noise restrictions on some track days and some not, this is due to the fact that due to planning conditions set by the local council or some higher body, each track is usually only allicated a certain nuber of days that it can have non noise restricted testing/racing. this usaully rises from concerns for local residents. not sure if there is a price difference in noise restriced day or not, but logic would suggest there is, usually when they advertise a day they specifiy a max limit/no limit clearly
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:16 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam_P wrote:

Mine zip together the same as leathers, and if I wear them on the road why the hell should it be different on a track? Rolling Eyes Question

Because you shouldn't be doing over 150mpg on the road? Smile

Donny does have some noise limits now unfortunately, however most of the big tracks don't.
Some of the smaller ones like Castle Coombe do.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 09:19 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Because you shouldn't be doing over 150mpg

I want your bike!!! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:44 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel enfield, supposed to do over 200mpg!... I doubt they're quite so fast on track though Razz.

:Oops:, my bad Smile.

Erm no... I know, actually I was talking about the amount of 2 stroke my rs250 uses Very Happy.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

V4 wrote:
Are there noise restrictions on track days? I'd love to try one, but my faddy daddy can is a mouthy sod Rolling Eyes

LEON

Donington last night was a 98 decibel limit. Anyone that had a non-standard can on was sent back up the pitlane and wasn't allowed out on track until they'd proved they'd got a baffle or they had one fitted at the circuit (about 12.50).

That's set by the council, not the circuit or organisers.

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 15:05 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one adam, will we be seeing you at cadwell in a few weeks?
J

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:39 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. What bike did you use for it and was it your own bike or a hire one? Quite tempted to do one meself in the near future.

V4
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:01 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

Donington last night was a 98 decibel limit.

That's set by the council, not the circuit or organisers.[/quote]

Bloody hell! I got no chance then Sad

LEON

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

V4 wrote:

Bloody hell! I got no chance then Sad

LEON

They do noisy days. They're about £20 more.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the track day was a noisy one, but we were doing the evening one and it was by a different group and because it was later in the day it was quiet.

I used my own bike - Fazer 600 - there was a guy in the novice group using an SV650 too. We had the only non-sports bikes in the entire pit-lane! Laughing

But it was still nice to pass R1's and 636s that were scared under braking and in the corners. But annoying to get owned on the straights. Sad

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 19 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Adam!

Glad you enjoyed it, and donington is such a great track isn't it?

I am determined to get back out there and do it again this year after loving it so much in March!

Speedfreaks/Donington Park Leisure are quite lax about things, they hardly checked anything at the trackday I did with them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1