BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Offroading

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 17 May 2005    Post subject: Offroading Reply with quote

After briefly toying with the idea of getting a GSXR1000 K5 (more through the shock of discovering the insurance was well below a grand as anything else) I've been looking at offroad bikes. I used to do a lot of offroad mountain biking when I was at school (when it was my main mode of transport) and I have a (tragically underused) Orange Gringo sat in the garage now.

The thing that's put me off getting an offroad bike in the past is not knowing where to go. After Korn pointed out (in one of his threads) that there is actually a track about 20 miles away from me I became more interested. Then, at the weekend I discovered a fair sized track 6 miles away Thumbs Up

So, I'm seriously considering chopping in my GSXR600 (trackbike) on the basis that I can use the GSXR750 for road and track.

What should I get? I've been looking round and reading reviews and the bikes that stand out are the Honda XR250 and Suzuki DR350, DR-Z400.

There's a decent looking XR250 at my local dealer; 1993, 5500kms, very clean, £1500. I know it's only about 28bhp, but I'm not too worried about flat out speed as I'll probably spend most of my time falling off it Laughing The reviews I've read say it has plenty of torque to drag you through the mud, lob you over jumps etc.

What do people think?

Also, any advice on clothing (other than the obvious helmet difference)? I don't think I'd need my sliders...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 23:47 - 17 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike? Depends what riding your doing. Just mx tracks then get a 2 stroke mx bike, CR125 or something.. I'd say as a novice a 125 would do you fine.. 125 in MX isn't like a 125 road bike, they are fast off road, 250's are very very fast as are big 4 strokes like the KTM 450/525 Yz426/450 etc a 250 4 stroke is an ideal bike also.. problem is how much you're looking to spend.. a decent 250 4 stroke for mx use is going to cost a fair bit.. an XR etc would be good for messing about on but don't expect massive jumps and fast track stuff...

Also depends how much your spending.

XR's, DR's etc are trail/enduro bikes and won't live up to big jumps/mx tracks unless you're just messing about.

It just depends what you want out of the off road bike as to what bike to get.

Gear wise, get motocross jersey/trousers/boots/gloves/helmet/goggles/armour and you're sorted.. again it depends what riding you're doing.. enduro clothing is different to mx clothing and you should decide accordingly really.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 00:09 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are loads of motocross tracks around, the better ones you have to pay for but it's still dirt cheap (heh) at around £10 for a day. If you decide on a road legal crosser or an enduro you will also be able to go trail riding, which is an adventure in itself so worth thinking about what you want to do. Trails are everywhere - and for my money just as fun as the circuit stuff, though a lot less intense.

As Yams said don't look negatively at the engine sizes, off road is a whole different world and too much power is a hinderance. A cheap 2-stroke 125 or 4-stroke 250 is a good beginner bike to learn motocross on, won't punish you for making mistakes and is plenty fast enough to still scare yourself - especially in the air! Cool

For trail riding it's always nicer to have that extra bit of grunt especially on tarmac roads so ideally I'd say something in the 400cc region of four strokes would be a good bet, an XR400 / WR400 / DRZ400 from the newer lot or maybe a DR350 for something older. As for motocross preferably a two stroke, say an CR125, RM125 or KX125 - going up to 250's if you're feeling very brave.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you find your XR250?

I remember at Boxhill it went pretty well on the road (or seemed to, at least Laughing ) and you seemed to get some decent air on it in your pictures.

I'm not a big fan of two-strokes so would rather stick to a four, but I'll only be using it for mucking about on, so I'm not worried if it's a bit slower etc than some others - as long as it's not annoyingly so.

I would probably be riding on the road too - to and from tracks etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Yeti
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:31 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little bit of racing when i was younger and i had a KX 125, great bikes, i loved mine and i found it to be powerfull enough for track use, there very light and they have plenty of get up and go. IMO have a look at the KX125 great moto x bike.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:39 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trail riding less intense?

Long 45 degree hill climbs - and descents with front brake on full. Getting lost, steep up hill gullies with roots sticking out?

Think I crashed more on the trail riding than the motocross track Smile.

All good fun anyway Smile.

I'm quite tempted by something like a KMX220 or even a CRM250; they have a bit wider spread of power than the 125 moto-x bikes, though only slightly more peak power. Need a lot less maitenance and are road legal out of the box, do weigh only a bit less than the more trail style bikes though.

A long time ago I had looked at a DR350 until I noticed the CRM was listed as 10hp more and 10kg less Smile.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:52 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at an XR400 recently, that looked like a whole lot of fun, picked up for about £1.5k

Seat height looked high though, but I guess the suspension compresses alot.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 01:10 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
How do you find your XR250?

Best £650 I ever spent Very Happy

It does the job off road and has been putting up with my abuses, not the latest and greatest by far but it's cheap and pretty bullet proof. Can't fault it on trails, it's light and will get up/through/over most things without effort, hasn't let me down on the long rides through nothingness or complained at being crashed into trees and flipped upside down.

On the motocross track it goes way better than I expected for an enduro, jumps well enough to thoroughly scare yourself silly. Full on MX bikes will have suspension that can take more of a beating but I'm a big bloke and I haven't really bothered it yet. On road you notice the lack of power, I wouldn't like to take it on the motorway for fear of ending up as a grille ornament on somebody's lorry but to be fair that's not what it's for - single carriageways and below are more its kind of tarmac. It's actually quite fun on the road, squirms around on the knobblies but loses grip very predictably so you can get away with taking the piss quite a bit.

If you're looking to play I'd definitely go for a cheap & cheerful trail/enduro bike, best of both worlds and capable enough with it Thumbs Up

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 01:18 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Trail riding less intense?

Long 45 degree hill climbs - and descents with front brake on full. Getting lost, steep up hill gullies with roots sticking out?

Ok, maybe that wasn't the best route I could have shown you Embarassed Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:26 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we extend this thread to include any top-tips for people who have done little or no offroad riding like myself?

I have learned three things which could be usefull:

1) Momentum overrides grip. If you are going in a certain direction, you will tend to keep going in that direction if you loose traction, this is improtant if you hit something like a patch of wet grass. If you look ahead and see the point you will exit the gripless area in a straight line ahead of you, don't panic, you'll make it through.

2) You can go too slowly. Look for areas where you will get grip and go for them, don't concentrate where you won't get grip and slow down, it will be just as slippery at a low speed. Use point 1) to get through the slippery patches.

3) Puddles usually have a solid bottom, you are often better splashing through the middle of a wet patch rather than skirting round the water. The edges are usually greasy mud, the water is usually lying there because there is a solid bottom (or you land up in the shit up to the axles, but if this is the case, going off to one side would be equally as bad).

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:38 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One that Korn's mentioned a few times that I found useful:
You always want the rear to be losing traction. So leave the front alone pretty much.
Coming out of a corner if the rear starts to slide it's a lot more likely to be savealbe than on a road bike. However if the front goes you've got a lot less chance of staying upright.

You want to be landing on the downward slope of tabletop jumps if you're clearing them; completely clearing the jump with your bike angled down towards the approaching ground is a bad thing Embarassed. If it's a jump where you're landing on the flat, make sure the rear goes down first.
After 'analyising' my technique I realised my body was too far forward.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 12:29 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow A few general differences from road riding:

1) The rear brake is your friend, even a locked up rear will stop you quicker on the muddy stuff than grabbing the front. Ever noticed how dirt bikes have teeny front brakes? It's because they're not that useful.

2) Don't be afraid of losing traction. Whereas on a sports bike on road or track slides are definitely a bad thing off road they are part of the fun and much more controllable.

3) Get out of your seat! The reason the seat is so high and narrow is because a lot of the time you aren't supposed to be sitting on it, take your weight on your legs and use them as extra shock absorbers and you'll find this much more stable.

Arrow Some bits specific to motocross:

Entering turns: Coming into a turn that doesn't have a (usable) berm you want to be doing most of your braking with the rear brake and engine braking, tip the bike into the turn and don't be surprised if the rear carries on sliding, this helps you tighten the corner. You want to be finished with your braking/slide by the time you get to the apex, and always have your inside leg ready to stick out and kick the bike back up should the front tuck in or the back get too out of shape.

Exiting turns: Once past the apex turn on the beans and get the back tyre spinning up just enough to tighten the turn but not too much as you don't want to be wasting the power you should be using for accelerating out of the corner. If it all gets too sideways either back of the gas or shift your weight over the rear a bit more to give it traction and step back in line.

Berms: Remember that when riding a berm you're being pushed in to it and thus have a shitload more grip available due to being fairly upright in relation to the surface. If you treat it as a normal turn you'll enter it much too slowly and lose the benefit, instead you want to be barreling in to where the bank begins and letting the berm take you round and spit you out. Again the most fun way out is sideways, don't be afraid to get on the power.

Taking off: Don't stay in your seat and don't back off the gas, doing this is likely to see you chucked up in the air and over the handle bars. What you want to be doing is staying seated up until the point of take off then as the bike is heading up the ramp standing up and absorbing the jump with your legs. Always leave a jump on the gas, keeping the power on until the back wheel has left the ground.

Landing: In the air you should be oriented with your front wheel slightly higher than the rear, your arms extended and standing up ready to absorb the landing with your legs. If you used too much throttle on takeoff you'll need to bring your weight forward to bring the front down (example) and if you used too little throttle you'll need to bring it back and extend your arms (example) for the landing.

Arrow Some bits specific to trail riding:

Ruts: When in a rut just stand up, relax and ride it out. Trying too hard to change direction or get out is likely to just wash out the front wheel and send you off. If you really want out slow down, sling your weight back and get on the gas, once the front wheel is out the rear will follow if you tap enough power on.

Water: As Stinkwheel said don't be afraid to cross puddles or streams, but be careful of water you can't see through as there may be a deep hole there or logs/rocks underwater which you can't see. Once in to the water focus on your exit and keep the bike moving, the last thing you want to do is stop/stall and drop a kick-start only bike in 18 inches of water and mud! Laughing

Looking ahead: Don't focus on the three feet of trail in front of your bike, instead try to look ahead and pick your line. This lets you spot any hazards early and correct course to avoid / tackle them, it also makes things a hell of a lot more relaxed as you're not being jumped by unexpected hazards all the time.

Deep mud: Don't be afaid to tackle very boggy ground, a bike with decent off road knobblies can churn through the most unlikely mud. Try to take a straight line through the bog and keep your weight over the rear wheel to give it traction, don't be surprised if you find yourself in one long, slow, wheelspin if the going is particularly bad.

Getting stuck: If you find yourself spinning without going anywhere stop, it's no use digging a big hole with your rear wheel because you're only going to have to lift the bike out of it! Get off and manhandle the bike out of trouble or walk it out on the clutch.

Falling off: Dropping the bike and crashing is part of the fun, if you've fallen off try to quickly get the bike back upright then have a breather or a rest and check for any damage before setting off again. Remember a bike that's been on its side or upside down will be harder to start.

Hmmm, this turned out a lot longer than it was supposed to be Razz

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Just popped into the field where the track is 6 miles from my house, and on my route to work (so how the hell have I missed it for the last two years? Doh! ). They're open Wednesdays 10am-8pm and Sundays 10am-4pm. Cost is £15 for the full day. Unofficial "lap record" is around 1m30s so not too small a track either. Sounds good Thumbs Up

gavking
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:47 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a 'directory' of trails and off road circuits?

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavking wrote:
is there a 'directory' of trails and off road circuits?

I found this the other night whilst having a quick look:
https://www.adrenalintrip.net/forums/viewforum.php?forum=89

If anyone else has any others though, I'd be interested.

Dr Nick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 2 stroke crosser, much more fun than any of them 4 strokes, unless like a competition 4 stroker like a crf etc.

CR250
KX250
Can pick up newish models quite cheap and parts are cheap.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:56 - 18 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Nick wrote:
CR250
KX250

Have you tried to abuse a 250cc two stroke crosser off road?

They bite, big time.
Imagine getting on for a 400cc sports bike power in a cg125 weight chassis. Then downgear it so it's top speed is halved.

Then ride it on ground with hardly any traction.

Personally I'd prefer something a bit tamer so I can push it and feel like I am actually using it, rather than having to pussy foot because I'm afraid of the power.

As Korn mentioned, hit the powerband midair and you can actually flip from the gyroscopic forces. I would be tempted by a 125 version though... but you've still got pretty short service intervals.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1