Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Two stroke rebuild! (bottom end)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 31 May 2005    Post subject: Two stroke rebuild! (bottom end) Reply with quote

Started yesterday, all I need to do now is get the fly wheel off and I will be ready to seperate the crank cases.

At this point the only damaged part is the left centre crank case, not sure what I will find once I get them open. I have a spare one, but the engine has done a lot of miles and I bet the bearings are fairly worn, so a good opportunity to do a rebuild.

Now, the manual states that a puller is not needed for the cases unless they are really hard to get apart. I am thinking a rubber/plastic mallet along with heat will do it. Or if I can get a universal tool cheap then that is cool Smile any tips?

Also from reading various articles the right case slips off the crank and leaves the gearbox in one piece, the next step is to seperate the crank from the left hand case, can this be done without a hydraulic press?

As for bearings, I read that you can put the crankcase halves in the oven and the bearings will drop out/be easy to push out. When it comes to installing, heating the case and freezing the bearings will be the best way to get them in, can I use sockets on the outer race to help drive them in? not sure about the crankshaft bearings though.

Not too sure what bearings/seals need to be replaced really

The honda manual also states that there is a tool for putting the halves back together? If I really do have to buy all these tools, then a replacement engine will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

A brief guide would be good, I could probably do a small write up or something for future referance?

Oh and one a side note, how was she running? when it comes to putting it back in how the hell do you tell which way it goes round, the markings are gone and I was too stupid to take not Laughing There seems to be some brown stains down the side also (shiny bit is where I rubbed it with my finger). It is fully run in and was going really well Smile

https://img200.echo.cx/img200/1595/rebuild28qn.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.K.R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 31 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the two smoke bottom ends ive done (cagiva wmx 250 multiple times, honda cr125 and 250, loads of others), just a bit of faffing about, make sure youve taken all the screws out tap the cases with a mallet to ease them apart, usually crank either comes out one side or the other, and may come from both if your lucky! and yes putting the cases in an oven to take them out but you can get them out normally (sometimes) its better to put the new bearings in the freezer as saves tapping them. Be careful of what youre doing (make sure the gearbox doesnt fall out Exclamation ) Never used a tool for putting the cases together just line everything up.

best tip : take your time!

J.K.R
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 31 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep rubbing over the piston (its just carbon build up) and all of your marks should reappear with the arrow pointing towards the exhaust port (front of the engine) and std or the oversize number (say 0.25 etc)

hth Thumbs Up

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 31 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Just got to wait till my mum goes out now so I can use her oven Laughing

Looking forward to getting started now Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

swampy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 31 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way to tell if you are putting the piston on the right way round is to see where the locating pegs for the rings are. These are nearly always on the carb side of the piston (because the rings never make it as far as the inlet port, and therefore cannot snag on it). This is definitely the case on the NSR (I know 'cos I've just rebuilt the top end on mine Wink )

HTH Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:08 - 31 May 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use a big socket on the outer race of a bearing to drive them in, either that or use the old bearing as a drift. The heat/cold thing works well.

Slowly, gentle tapping with a good nylon/hide hammer, plenty of tea breaks. Draw pictures. Draw on parts with marker pen to show orientation.

If a bit is solid, find that hidden bolt!

I like to draw an outline of the various bits of the bike (eg crankcases) on a sheet of wood then drill holes where the bolts came from. This means I can put the bolts in the holes as I remove them. Similar thing with nuts using panel pins. Makes reassembly a doddle compared to throwing everything in a box, keep the boards for if you ever have to do it again.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started yesterday, I had to drop the engines round to MTC on friday to get the flywheels off, I think they must have found the puller at the end of a rainbow or something because I'll be damned if I could, cost me a tenner for both so Thumbs Up to MTC.

Engine is now in bits, am in the process of cleaning it all up, will probably take a few pics.

One of the main bearings seems to be shagged, rough as a badgers arse. The engine was rattling so perhaps that was the cause, I just thought it sounded like that.

One question, where do I get the crank rebuilt? one of the main bearings needs to be removed and I might as well get a new big end put on. Is this something any engineering place could do or am I going to have to send it off?

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent mine off to stan stephens and its £25 plus VAT + parts.

PJ engineering also does it, so does SEP.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

Will get it sent off to stan stephens soon then.

Another question ( Mr. Green )

How do I draw the crankshaft through the bearings? because from taking it apart I can see the crank is wedged on there pretty firmly. I guess if I had a collar or something then used the thread on the end of the crank to pull it through Thinking Only part I am wondering about really as I have all the rest figured out.

/secretly glad about the engine destroying itself

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanstephens are on their summer holidays now / soon, so if you're in a hurry you might be better trying elsewhere.

Bottom end reassembly. I'm putting mine together using the oven and the freezer. Putting the crank and mains in the freezer and the cases in the oven at (someone else will say) degrees. The heat expands the bearing seats and the main bearings (slightly smaller due to being cold) just fall straight in. Put the cases and bearings back in the oven then drop the crank into one bearing, then place the case onto the other end of the crank. Couple of taps of the ends of the crank and its sorted.

That method works on cagiva / derbi engines, however honda might need special puller tools like rotax engines as mentioned here.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1