Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

gene_cann
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:16 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE Reply with quote

HI guys I have just been on the road with my new bike (hongdou ctm125c) all was fine until at a roundabout some twat stalled on me as we were both oulling away his was a astra Van I hit his back at about 5mph and my forks have bent about a inch backward is there anyway I can bend them back if so how?

Eagerly awaiting your replies

Cheer's

Gene

Sparky
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:30 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me i would take it to a well rated garage and get a profesional opinion, before ya start messing about with it!

Is it really worth it!

ya would need to show pics aswell anyway to give people a clearer idea how bad it is!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gene_cann
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:31 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it ok to ride a bike with bent forks?

Gene

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

gene_cann wrote:
is it ok to ride a bike with bent forks?

Gene

It depends how badly and where they are bent, but in short, no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gene_cann
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:35 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so whats the chances of them being straightend by a good bike shop I would at a conservative estimate say that the wheel is about an inch further back than it should be and they are bent from where they start (the top) I have taken her out and she seems fine ive been doing 40mph max will take her to where i bought her from tomorrow so what do you think the chances are?

Cheer's

Gene

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:39 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Chances are they can be straightened quite easily, but a pretty bad idea to ride around with bent forks. I would expect you to need to do rather more than 5mph to bend them though.

All the best

Keith

gene_cann
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:41 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope i swear i only moved like 2 foot then bang! it was more likely 2-3mph honest! Sad

Cheer's

Gene

gene_cann
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:49 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

also sorry to be a pain but what do you think i would be looking at pricce wise to get them straightend £20???? Rolling Eyes

Cheer's

Gene

2t-Screamer
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:59 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

a gentle 5mph prang bent the front end back 1 inch? well that just shows you how dangerously crap all this chinese shite is that people keep buying

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:00 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

gene_cann wrote:
also sorry to be a pain but what do you think i would be looking at pricce wise to get them straightend £20???? Rolling Eyes

Depends how much work you do yourself. Chances are that if you just took the bike into a shop and told them to do it then it would cost a lot more than that. Taking the forks out and stripping them down yourself, then just taking the tubes in would probably cost you about that to get the straightened (then add on the cost of some oil and probably some new seals).

All the best

Keith

gene_cann
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:01 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

no disrespect 2t-screamer but thats not what i wanted to hear Sad
please can i just have a estimate of repair!

CHeer's

Gene

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:10 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure they are bent and haven't just moved in the clamps? Seems a very low speed to have bent the forks.

Last time I had a set of bent forks rolled straight it cost me sixty quid. That was about seven years ago.

As a bit of a segway, on some of the old production race series where teams were not allowed to deviate from a totally standard bike, a lot of racers used to deliberatley crash their bikes into a wall in the pitlane during qualifying. This was to shorten the wheelbase (by bending the forks) and make them turn in faster. I wouldn't recommend you rode the bike with bent forks though.

Richy
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 02 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to previous replies no dont ride it because the metal has been weakened by being bent and riding on it more could cause more damage.

Its the Chinese copy of the CG125 isnt it, could you maybe try to get a broken one and nick the forks? It would be a lot cheaper than having them rolled.

All th best Thumbs Up

2Smoke
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:40 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

just scrap it... it'll go pop within a couple of thousand miles if youre lucky Laughing

seriously though, look at £20 for an engineer to straighten the forks plus the labour for stripping the forks down (stanchions need to be out) say £50-£60 for 2 hours labour plus new seals £10 plus oil £7.50

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:58 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED PLEASE Reply with quote

gene_cann wrote:
some twat stalled on me as we were both oulling away his was a astra Van I hit his back

Love the way he's a twat for you not paying enough attention/been too close. Wink

As keith has said, if they are bent (how do you know they are bent, is it visibly obvious?) best to take them to bits yourself and take them to be straightened if you want to keep the cost down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

gene_cann
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 02:12 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheer's for all the replys guys I just got myself a new set of forks for £90 and fitted them all fine now!

Cheer's

Gene

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 03:48 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

gene_cann wrote:
cheer's for all the replys guys I just got myself a new set of forks for £90 and fitted them all fine now!

Cheer's

Gene

And what did you learn from this experience? Rolling Eyes

gene_cann
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:49 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont crash into cars Embarassed

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:06 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the phrase is "Only a fool breaks the two second rule.".

"Only a tw@ runs into the back" etc. Wink Laughing

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he'd wanted you up his arse he'd have kissed you first. Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 328 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1