Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

engine casing urgent!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

matphillipsuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:51 - 03 Jun 2005    Post subject: engine casing urgent! Reply with quote

hi i have a slight problem with the engine casing on my nsr125. the problem is that whilst cleaning the bike today part came off whilst i was cleaning the engine casing. but thats not the worst bit it has actually gone inside. i know that if i attempt to ride the bike any where chances are the chunk of metal is gonna start crunching gears! any ideas of how i can get it out at home? thanks for any help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:56 - 03 Jun 2005    Post subject: Re: engine casing urgent! Reply with quote

More details please.

What fell in?

How did it get inside the engine?

matphillipsuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:59 - 03 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i was cleaning the bike and then as i cleaned the engine casing on the left hand side. part of it just broke off and dropped inside the casing. that any help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:08 - 03 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this the actual engine casing, then I expect you will need to get a new engine casing. (Though not sure how such things work in a 2 stroke).

If it cracked when you were cleaning it then there is some serious problem there so I wouldn't want to be riding with it anyway.

Definitely don't start your engine or do anything until you've got it out.

If it's the left hand side the piece should be fairly easy to retrieve when you get it off I think.

matphillipsuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:22 - 03 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks i just got a mobile mechanic to come round

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:52 - 03 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

On the NSR on the left you have the sprocket cover and the alternator cover. Neither of these will leak oil or affect the running of the engine directly if holed.

However it is not a good idea to have lumps of debris floating around under either of them.

A hole in the alternator cover will allow water in to the ignition, which may well cause problems.

All the best

Keith

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:11 - 03 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the alternator casing then, bit it must have been damaged for a bit to have just *fallen off*. It cannot get into the gearbox from there, however the flywheel, stator and pickup coil live inside that and a chunk of metal won't do them any good if it gets caught up.

If you remove the cover and take out the shrapnel it will be fine to ride as long as it isn't raining. Mine had a leaking gasket and everything was caked in rust.

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 03 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you take pictures of that ?

matphillipsuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:44 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi yeah im gonna upload some later 2day, the hole is directly to the left of the front sprocket and has gone in to the crank i think. mobile mechanic my arse 2 weeks he says i will have to wait i feel sorry for the people that have him as a breakdown service lol if any one could provide step by step instuctions on how to get this left hand side part off and any problems i could encounter whilst doing it. also how much a new case will cost cheers or if any one knows of any more mobile mechanics in the preston area. will post pics in a bit

matphillipsuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:18 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

just done the photos but dont know how to put them on help?

Last edited by matphillipsuk on 20:58 - 04 Jun 2005; edited 1 time in total

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on 'add an attachment' just under where you put the text in for the post.

matphillipsuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:03 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i did that but every time i do this i cant see a pic it just comes up with this [img]?
any ideas[/img]

Last edited by matphillipsuk on 21:07 - 04 Jun 2005; edited 1 time in total

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope Smile

the [IMG] tags are for when you already have the picture hosted.

With the 'add an attachment' button, BCF hosts the picture for you etc.

Email me the picture unrealspud@hotmail.com

matphillipsuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:14 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you get them ? has it helped?

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see in the picture it is just the outer engine casing that is broken (which is good) however there should be a plastic cover over the sprocket, did you remove it?

It's just a guess, but it looks like it has been smashed by a snapped chain, the bolt that holds the sprocket cover and casing on has been sheared off then destroyed the casing (you can see the remains of the bolt in the inner casing) Perhaps the previous owner bodged the broken bits back together.

https://img141.echo.cx/img141/2307/smashed6zg.jpg

Compare it to mine, except the inner crank case is also smashed. Get a replacement outer casing and it will be fine, along with a sprocket cover if you do not have one.

matphillipsuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:34 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks alot how do i get the piece out though ? also how much is a new casing?

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

First trace the connections from the engine to the wiring loom, disconnect the pickup coil (blue/green white) alternator connectors (red/black then the big connector) Undo all the 8mm bolts on the outer casing, then you just need to pull it off. It may be a little difficult due to the gasket, but nothing too hard.

You will need to take the alternator and pickup coil out of the casing, fit that into the new one, buy a new gasket then refit. A new case will be about £30 new from www.davidsilverspares.com. You could try breakers, ebay etc.

matphillipsuk
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:03 - 04 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cheers much appreciaTED

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have trouble getting that alternator cover off, they like to hang on for dear life on the front-most bolt hole (there is a metal guiding sleeve there) it's the one below the bolt that is hard to get at. You will need to wiggle the cover a lot while pulling it towards you. This is the best way to get the cover off, I have found, without damaging it by using a screwdriver or something. The thing is, if you dont care about damaging the cover, you could just use a hammer. Twisted Evil
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1