Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RON HASLAM RACE SCHOOL - Anyone been?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: RON HASLAM RACE SCHOOL - Anyone been? Reply with quote

Im considering booking myself in for a day at the Ron Haslam Race School at donnington sometime this summer.

Has anybody here ever been on a day at a race school, or know anyone who has done it??

Its £150 for a day on one of their bikes (CBR600 pictured on the website here - Rolling Eyes https://www.honda-racing.co.uk/twowheels/britishsuperbike/article.asp?a=1839)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:17 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Re: RON HASLAM RACE SCHOOL - Anyone been? Reply with quote

I haven't, but from what others have said it's ideal for either being able to say "I've been on Ron Haslem's" or for the sake of riding a different bike for a few short sessions.

For a 'serious' track school the European Superbike School is reccomended - more focused tution and a lot more track time.

Have you done any track days?

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 22:18 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposed to be really good. Not too expensive either. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope G, no track days. I havent even passed my test (its booked for the 24th)

Iv heard that its good for teaching riders more about how to ride (braking, positioning, balance, etc etc)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:21 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to have a big bike anyway, I'd get used to it a bit then do a trackday; you'll learn a lot yourself anyway and get a lot more track time. Maybe do a few then look at a school.

If you're looking for a way to ride a fancy bike moderately cheaply it might be worth a go.
(But don't expect much time riding it.)

Come along to a BCF track day and poke people and I'm sure you can get some free advice Smile.

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once iv done my test, il definately come to a BCF trackday. i dont fancy a trackday as i have the impression that everybody is experienced and will be going rather fast, me on the other hand, i think i need some tuition first!

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paying a load to do a race school as the first time you've ever been on a track sounds like a rather silly idea. Getting used to the idea of riding on the track to begin with and then having something to build on would be better. Then you're not wasting your money just on getting used to being flat out all the time and braking as hard as you can for every corner.

There are novices, intermediate and fast groups on track days. There are bound to be plenty of people who have never been on one before.

That's basically just what G said. Whistle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys saying better to do a trackday before superbike school...hmmm...i thought the superbike school was to help ready you for a trackday...IM CONFUSLED! lol

Reevo8
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might do that soon, as I own a 600rr but dont fancy binning it or abusing it on track!

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 22:42 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask joe, he won a day there, think he went on it today
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:47 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammyboy wrote:
I might do that soon, as I own a 600rr but dont fancy binning it or abusing it on track!

I'd be worried about riding it on the road then; all those nasty pot holes, cars and stuff Smile.

Also it's /designed/ to be thrashed Smile.

Apart from that, there's plenty of places that do hire for trackdays.

Note:
It's £150 for the 'on track' course with Ron Haslem; cbr125 or cb500 ; mostly designed for kids I think.

For the CBR600 you need the next one up which is £245.

You only get three session on track as well, while your average trackday would give you six or seven (as does ESS I believe).

Most trackdays have free instructors to show you around as well.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:49 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammy do a Trackday, you are more likely to crash on the road really!

I was unsure about Trackdays, but I read a surprisingly good article on what to be prepared for in MCN last week and now I really want to do one and should hopefully be doing Silverstone in August! Very Happy
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:53 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt wrong with Silverstone as a first trackday, but more 'right' to do other circuits. Had you considered going to the Snetterton (an excellent 'first' circuit, that other BCF are going to?

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:56 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my eyes are failing me, I can't see the thread in O+E. Embarassed
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 23:01 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=44215

A lot easier than Silverstone, though not as fun Thumbs Up

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:06 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really tempted, though I don't get paid until The end of the month, do you reckon there will still be spaces in Novice at the end of the month? Smile

Look at this though...

From Chard,Somerset
To Snetterton Motor Racing Circuit,Norwich | Reverse this route
Distance 247.7 miles | Show distances in kilometres

Mr. Green

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 23:10 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to phone up the organiser and ask. If Jon (the other one) doesn't take up the space in my van he bagsied I can offer a lift from West London as mentioned in the other thread, or I believe Bendy has space on her trailer from Slough - either way a decent cut off your journey...

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:12 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be muchly grateful and can pay petrol. Smile

Anyway I don't wanna hijack this thread. Laughing

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:13 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will die of exhaustion Razz

I wouldn't have thought a track day would have been that fun on 33 ponies.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 23:15 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcatate wrote:
You will die of exhaustion Razz

I wouldn't have thought a track day would have been that fun on 33 ponies.

Not really going for the speed per se, more of improving the cornering and to a certain extent, improve the relationship between me and the bike, currently my chicken strip on the right of my rear tyre is far bigger than that on the left. Something I could improve on a trackday.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:18 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snetterton isn't actually that great for lefthanders; but all it's corners are less 'technical', meaning you can concentrate on the basics.

Also got a lot less corners than Silverstone; so you can have a couple of warm up laps going slowly, one full lap then come in at Silverstone because it's so long. Also more corners meams more to remember Embarassed.

Anyway, sorry for the continuation of the thread hijack Smile.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 23:20 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, i would have still thought though as you got quicker round the track the power issue may become abit gay. Could always take them out for a while though. Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:23 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our first trackday we went with a friend that had a MZ race bike; at Snetterton. They have about 25hp!

Getting the most use of the power you have is a lot more important and a lot more fun that having lots of it in the first place.

I've beaten bikes with 50% more power down the long back straight at Snetterton thanks to good corner exit speed (was in inters though).

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 23:35 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
I would be muchly grateful

Even if you do end up doing 'stone, I was gonna offer my floor the night before as I'm only an hours' ride away (and would probably cave in and do the day anyway). But aug 1st I certainly have empty trailer space as Luke's gonna be away. Thumbs Up

I digress...

Schools and trackdays... do the trackday first, go in novice, fuck what speed everyone else is doing. Try and go with people who know a bit about what they're doing and you'll get advice. Save the school for when you can't go any faster by yourself.

It's like learning to drive. No real point paying instructor rates for kangarooing round a carpark learning clutch control. You pay the money when you need to learn the serious stuff. Thumbs Up

Binning/thrashing on track... binning on the road is generally worse for you and the bike. You might push it more on track, but there's very little to hit, a pretty constant surface and an ambulance that'll be with you within the minute if you get it really wrong.
Thrashing your bike... do you think Mr Honda put the redline there just to make the dial look pretty? Razz

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 06 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you hire a bike to do a trackday?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 330 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2