|
|
| Author |
Message |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:58 - 08 Jun 2005 Post subject: Retail therapy! |
 |
|
<<Please note, this post has very little point, so only read if you're very bored, as I was when I wrote it>>
Been generally feeling a bit depressed recently.
Racing hasn't massively cheered me up; hasn't made me feel down, but if I'd actually consistantly ridden well It would have probably got me into a better mood. Rather unfortunately I had just sold my two DR600s and had a wad of cash in my back pocket. Add in money owed from bills/rent and we're talking around £1k (even though this is money I've actually already spent).
A while ago I had been looking at a cb350 - I wanted a bike to get me to and from work to replace my DR600. Ideally with electric start so I could fit a cheap fancy-pants alarm with remote start (so that I can warm the bike up while still at work - it seems more annoying waiting five minutes for the bike to warm up when it can take less than that to get home.) The idea was something fairly simple and easy to work on that should be relatively reliable.
Mentioning the cb350 on IRC got a torrent of abuse; too heavy/slow, etc etc. While I didn't see these objections as really relevant to my needs, I took them in anyway (peer pressure, eh).
For a few weeks I've continued to look (adtrader the day it comes out etc) for 'bargain' bikes; stull like 500s (cb, gpz etc etc) and anything else that looks like a good deal. As we've got a dead Bros sitting on the drive way, one of them tempted me; also it didn't help that I knew an ok condition would wheely acceptably. However all the half decent condition BROS's seemed to be going for lots of money; 30,000 miles for £800 and more often.
I see a TRX850 on ebay (only 200cc more than the BROS after all ) for a pretty cheap price. It's got a nose fairing held on by gaffa tape, but that doesn't bother me and otherwise seems in pretty good condition. Has about 30,000 miles if I remember, but got proof of servicing etc. I email the bloke with my 'standard' questionaire; basically asking questions about all the
things I would check in person - that way if there's any problems I can quite reasonably refuse to buy it as it's 'not as described'.
I bid on the bike, but have to bid early rather than serious sniping as my connection's playing up and occasionaly disconnecting.
The previous bidder outbids my bid of £1111.11 (which is more than I can afford really, but then there are 'ok' condition bikes of a similar mileage on adtrader for £1800!)
So continue looking for any 'bargain' bikes I can find. Anything from a klx250 (also tempted by a dirt bike) to a FZR1000.
Now we get to the bad bit: it's Sunday afternoon and I've moped about all weekend, hardly got anything done, going shopping for a new front door and coming back with a Mr Whippy with strawberry sauce was about the biggest achievment. So sat at my computer on Sunday afternoon, should be doing other stuff, but being generally crap.
I do everything I completely advise against.
(A) Don't buy a bike on ebay (or anywhere) unless you've seen it first.
(B) If (A) is not possible, send a detailed questionaire to insure that it meets your standards and can be 'rejected' if not.
I see another TRX is fairly cheap still; looks in good condition, but no nose fairing. Buyer will put MOT on if it meets reserve.
It's had a top end rebuild 800 miles ago, with recipts, so technically should be in good condition.
I umm and arr about it, but it's ending quite shortly and the inevtible happens when I've got the possiblity of a new toy - I prepare for a last minute sniping bid. Put a bid of £20 over the current bid to make sure everything's working, then get it lined up in my sights. With about 20 seconds to go I start to make the bid, completing at 8 seconds. I bid £1111.11 again - more because I like the number than it's a good value to bid .
With 8 seconds to go the price gets pushed up to £930, but no one else comes in, in those last few seconds.
Now I wonder if it's a good idea.
I email reply to the seller, stating that I want the promised MOT; apparantly not a problem.
Picked it up last night; the van did suprisingly well, now a bit emptier than normal. Reading to Dartford and back in three and a half hours; including stopping at a services for some food and a cash machine, then doing all the paperwork for the bike, chatting about trackdays and racing etc as well as loading and securing the bike. An interesting (or not) coincidence - the bike was in the village of 'bean'
- where we also collected Luke's track VFR from a couple of months ago.
At least I got a couple of days of new-toy excitement before picking it up, that I don't customarily get these days .
Rode it today and generally seems to be ok, maybe not quite in an MOT-able state, but good enough to ride for until I kill it - whether it lasts long enough for the next MOT is questionable going by my previous record . If there were any not too serious problems there's not much I could reasonably do, morraly at least, and I realised this when I bid. THe seller had also been contacted by someone with a fairing for sale in the right colour, they want £100, including the screen (though I already have one). Not too bad a deal as they are quite rare. With that, this bike's going to be similar to those advertised for £2k or so in adtrader / biketrader.
If I was buying for an 'only' vehicle, I'd have definitely been a lot more careful. However as I do have other means of getting around and it seems to be a pretty good price for what I'm getting, I'm happy that I at least shouldn't lose too much when it blows up next week .
I'd have probably also made a slightly wiser choice of vehicle; though the TRX is quite 'bland' in comparison to my other bikes and has a modertely comfortable seating position. The tarty side of me quite likes it's retro ducati-esque looks as well when it's got it's full compliment of fairing .
Pic from the add:
https://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/34/87/62_1_b.JPG |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Zero-G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Zero-G Scooby Slapper

Joined: 10 Sep 2002 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:06 - 08 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Buying things is never the solution to problem's. But who cares when you have a new toy to play with
Always fancied one of them, like the trellis frame. Sound nice as well.  ____________________ When A Man Loves A Chicken |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gracie Jones |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gracie Jones Trackday Trickster

Joined: 31 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| RobB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 RobB Spanner Monkey

Joined: 29 Apr 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:13 - 08 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Looks great without the fairing, and in blue. A mate of mine had a red one for years, and absolutely loved it. I only rode it once, when the engine was going wrong and he wanted a second opinion before he took it to a garage. When I took it out, despite having to listen for noises and strange feelings, I thought the handling on it was absolutely superb. All in all, nice purchase matey. Enjoy  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Korn |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Korn Admin

Joined: 01 Feb 2002 Karma : 
|
 Posted: 15:17 - 08 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I thought you said twins were shit?  ____________________ 3516 Miles, 11 Countries |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tater |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tater Renault 5 Driver
Joined: 08 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:54 - 08 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like a good deal G, looks tidy from the pic. I think you should street fighter it as it would look cool, i dont like the trx fairings  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:57 - 08 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Could always get the new fairing and sell it on in a month or so before you get a chance to kill it.
G? Profit on a bike? With his reputation?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Tot |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Tot World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 16:14 - 08 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm tasting a R1 frong fairing on that bike . It's a good choice! ____________________ The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:35 - 08 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I'm sure I saw you getting outbid on a trx, G. Didn't you? I was after the grey/purple trx on ebay at the same time.... It went up to high and I couldn't afford it at the time, totally gutted.your ebay id does have "-"'s and "*"'s in it doesn't it?
I've since moved my plans to a sv650, was really let down by not winning that auction for the trx.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Luke_Retrofly |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Luke_Retrofly Silly Lesbian

Joined: 05 Jul 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 19:25 - 08 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hi
Your still depressed? Thought racing would have made you better than you sound .
Have you ever thought of proper "help" seeing a shrink etc?
I know it sound fruity, ive never been to see one so have no 1st person knowledge, but i cant see why it would hurt?
Anyone here saught professional help?
then theres always the drugs, you like drugs dont ya G (przac)
As for the bike, looks kewl never really heard/seen one of them before, can i have a go? how does it wheelie?
If you get too depressed can i have all your stuff
Luke ____________________ Flounced - Long overdue
Fuck you bitch I'm in the top 10 list I can do the what the fuck I want! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Phoenix |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Phoenix Twisted Firestarter

Joined: 01 Aug 2002 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 01:09 - 09 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Horrible things, yuck, euck.
My first blade had a bottom end rebuild, so technically it should've been ok...that lasted 800 miles.
So good luck  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jonboy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jonboy Trackday Trickster

Joined: 02 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| satans_BIG_helper |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 satans_BIG_helper Nearly there...
Joined: 28 Dec 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:21 - 09 Jun 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
G you absolute fucker i was looking at that one it was a bit too far for me to pick it up tho.....
should you come to sell it in the future running or not running please get in touch with me .....
Fucking awesome choice of bike... set of renegade pipes and it will be awesome.... enjoy it mate top class bike !!!! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 21 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|