Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR - ALSO black carbon deposit, but more like chalk...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 18:38 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: NSR - ALSO black carbon deposit, but more like chalk... Reply with quote

I was checking the bike over and noticed that there's a layer about 1mm thick around the inside of my exhaust, of black charcoal greyish powder. I scraped some out with my key and it's got the consistency of chalk.
It's just dry powder and there don't seem to be any oil deposits in the exhaust...

Anyone know if that's unburnt oil, or if something's wrong with the engine?

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 18:53 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soot from the normal exhaust gasses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 19:00 - 08 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally there's some oil in the exhaust - does this mean that my bike's running leaner than it normally should or is it just cos of the hot weather or something? Confused

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:27 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably means you need a rebuild (piston and rings) if there is oil in the exhaust because it sounds like theres oil getting past the piston, not good!

Steve

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 08:08 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bloody hope it doesn't mean I need a rebuild - It had one less than a thousand miles ago.

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

clean the exhaust & exhaust chamber on the barrel . then have a look on your oil pump . adjusting it , is very easy (open the cover , put your handle at max throttle and look if the notches are on line , if not use the adjuster on the cable) . could be also a bad spark , fit a BR9EIX

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

boyle7474 wrote:
Probably means you need a rebuild (piston and rings) if there is oil in the exhaust because it sounds like theres oil getting past the piston, not good!

Steve

It is a 2 stroke! if oil were not coming out of the exhaust it would have seized a long time ago. I would also agree with what alains said, you can clean the exhaust with a caustic soda solution, just block one end up and leave it to soak.

Stevie B
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:05 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i was getting at was that i wouldn't expect to see a load of unburnt oil in the exhaust, i assumed there was only the carbon deposite left in there?.... in which case, as has already been mentioned, decoke the exhausut....

Steve

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unburnt oil and petrol will come out of the exhaust as some of the mixture escapes through the exhaust port when a fresh mixture is drawn in, also not all of the oil gets burnt, it is a brown tar like substance by the time is is spitting out of the exhaust.

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
it is a brown tar like substance by the time is is spitting out of the exhaust.

I've got an NSR, so does my brother, to be honest it sounds like you may have a problem with your bike. Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 326 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1