Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Honda CX 500 and it's Custom variant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

beeblemaster
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 22 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Honda CX 500 and it's Custom variant Reply with quote

I'm contemplating buying a cheap second bike. The purpose hasn't been justified yet and I don't think it ever will be, it's just the buzz of it Very Happy

I really like the look and appeal of the Honda CX 500 with the V-twin engine and shaft drive and I've come across the US Custom version on eBay which I really like the look of.

If anyone has any knowledge or experience of these bikes, does anyone know the differences between the custom and the standard version? It looks like the main differences are the handlebars, seat and the tail end and all else looks the same.

But, because of these differences - would parts and support readily available from Honda UK or my local dealers?

Many thanks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldgit
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:32 - 09 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned one in the early 80s and it wasn't a bad bike for general commuting/touring - they were known as the 'Plastic Maggot' because of the peculiar bodywork. The early ones had a problem with the cam chains and valve seals, but they're cheap to repair. Don't expect a sports bike, 'cos they only make 50bhp, and the standard suspension is soft and a bit bouncy. The engine torque makes them easy to ride, the handling's OK as long as you don't push it and they're comfy on longish journeys. I seem to remember the brakes were s**te and needed to be kept clean, and sintered pads helped. Bear in mind they were designed in the 70's and try to find a decent one (which might be difficult at present). There's also the later 650, and they even made a Turbo version, although I've never seen one. I think the custom ones had shorter rear shocks, a different, lower seat and high bars.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.05 Sec - Server Load: 0.42 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 32.19 Kb