Honda XR400

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 11 Jun 2005    Post subject: Honda XR400 Reply with quote

Hello All.

Long time since I last posted and my 17th birthday is not to far away and I have been giving some thought of buying either the Honda XR400 or a 400cc Supermoto bike. I don't know why but I've always prefered enduros / supermoto's compared to sports bikes since I was young, and I'm now finally old enough to get one.

I've now got a few questions , I have been scanning e-Bay for XR400's and they all seem within my price range and some are not to far from where I live , especially an ex-police one Wink .

What has caught my attention is that when people write the summary they often mention about oil changes every two rides and air filter changed after every ride. I'm presuming the owners do this because they take it off-road since they have the capabilitys to go off-road , I can understand changing the air filter since it will be covered in mud. But why change the oil , surly that hasn't got any filth , mud in it??

Also none of the sellers ever mention the top speed of these bikes is that due to them having more low speed grunt rather than top speed ? Do these sort of enduro bikes have a good fuel consumption rate because I would be riding it nearly everyday for college and work.??

If I did buy the bike it would only be used for on road use only! To get me to college , work and back. If I kept it on road surly I wouldn't have to change the oil / air filter after every ride , just when I need to service the bike every couple of thousand miles.

I hope I've just about covered the main questions I need answering , i.e - on road usage , air filter / oil changes , fuel consumption and top speed.

Hope Someone can Help me. If so I would be very grateful since not many people own / talk about them.

Thanks & Bye.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 11 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

On road the service intervals are fairly normal. I used to have an XBR500 which has the same XR series engine.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 11 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My XLR250 will do about 80-85mph flat out. I'm not sure about the 400, but those extra 150cc should push it past the ton fairly easily.

Fuel consumption on mine seems very good (only had it a few weeks) - especially since I ride it with the throttle nailed (on the road anyway).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:39 - 11 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XR400 is a very focussed bike.

I'd be suprised if it'd hit a ton, but it'll be up there.

I had a look at one once, £1850, lovely condition. They have a very high seat height, but I assume that lowers a lot with some compression on the suspension. If the one I saw was a standard XR400 I certainly wouldn't like to ride one every day.

They're a lot more offroad focussed than the XR125.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WalkeruK88
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

an xr250 is more than enough for a commuter bike trust , the xr will hit about 95. changing the air filter etc you wont have to do as much just make sure you keep the bike quiet as most 400 4 stroke offroad bikes make a hell of a racket.

Chr!S
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:07 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

xr400, will hit 85mph max, with SM wheels, your looking at 80mph more or less.

Who wants to be doing 80mph on a supermoto anyway? Motorway work is a big nono on a SM imo, so uncomfortable.

XR400's are good bikes though.

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Sorry to bring up an old post, but I was away for sometime and just wanted some more questions answering.

Quote:
My XLR250 will do about 80-85mph flat out. I'm not sure about the 400, but those extra 150cc should push it past the ton fairly easily.

Also when you say flat out, does it sound like it's going to blow up?

Quote:
Fuel consumption on mine seems very good (only had it a few weeks) - especially since I ride it with the throttle nailed (on the road anyway).

What sort of MPG are you looking at ?

Quote:
The XR400 is a very focussed bike.

Focussed as in, it's built for a specific type of rider / terrain / speed?

Quote:
If the one I saw was a standard XR400 I certainly wouldn't like to ride one every day.

Why Not?

Quote:
Who wants to be doing 80mph on a supermoto anyway? Motorway work is a big nono on a SM imo, so uncomfortable.

Could you explain to me why that is?

So, would it just be a lot less hassle to skip that idea and get something like a GPZ500/Kwak ER-5/ZXR400/CB/R400, etc for a first big bike?

Thanks.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

VivaCity wrote:
Also when you say flat out, does it sound like it's going to blow up?

No, it just had a low 4-stroke hum about it - doesn't scream at all really in any gear.

I'm not sure what differences there between the XR and XLR as Korn has said his XR250 would only do 60-odd mph. The only thing I've noticed is that the XLR has a disc rear brake instead of drum. I'm pretty sure the speed's accurate (or as it can be) since my otherhalf was following in the car (and said the same sort of speed). I was also overtaking a fair amount of things on the M40. It all gets a bit wobbly with some cross wind though! Shocked

Liverpoolrobb...
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:20 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR 250's have some bloody good drunt and are brilliant for offroading even for newbie's to bigger bikes!

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 20:33 - 06 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
I'm not sure what differences there between the XR and XLR as Korn has said his XR250 would only do 60-odd mph.

XLR is the road biased version so the gearing is much taller, as well as having an igniton etc. Mine is geared for 60 in top which it will cruise at on a quarter throttle, but any more gas than that and it starts to sound like it wants to self destruct!

Jonny Boy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:27 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a XR400R in Supermoto trim for nearly 3yrs, so i'm fairly knowledgeable about them.
On 15/39 gearing mine would do about 90mph but that was totally flat out.
Oil and filter changes are every 600miles, they take 1.8/1.9ltr of oil with a new filter, dead easy to do, take about 15mins. You can get away with checking the valve clearances every 2000miles ish.
Oil and filter is REALLY important, change every 600miles as per the manual and you won't have any problems with the engine.
If you need anymore info PM me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1