Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Charlie Borman & the Paris Dakkar

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Charlie Borman & the Paris Dakkar Reply with quote

I'm sitting here watching a programme on Men & Motors about Charlie, and (I thought) his plans to take part in next years Paris Dakkar rally.

Bit odd on the part of M&M I'm thinking. Here is one of the worlds best-known participants on off-road & enduro touring, and they decide to help him train for the Paris-Dakkar by......

......taking hin to Ron Haslam's race school at Donongton for a day!

Interesting programme by all means, but relevant to Charlie's plans? I think not.

Minky_monkey
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:36 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

I was watching it the other night thinking exactly the same thing!

Hmm, loads of tarmac on the Dakar........ Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh can't really see how it would apply Confused

I'd be happy if i managed to compete in the dakar and not end up dead, utter madness it is...

Whats the program called btw?

danclarkie
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:50 - 13 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

t'was called full throttle famous on every thursday at 7pm:D jodie kidd rides the same bike i used to Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:55 - 13 Jun 2005    Post subject: Re: Charlie Borman & the Paris Dakkar Reply with quote

I believe there are some tarmac sections; some on-road training might actually help if he's only an off road expert - though not quite the same on a desert-enduro bike Smile.

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 00:57 - 13 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i read in the long way round book, think mr borman has been riding from a kid and knows tarmac fairly well already. both with it under his tyres and skiding across it on his arse Laughing
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 13 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wasn't exactly racing across Siberia though, was he? Any kind of competitive experience, especially taught (obviously on a racetrack) would help I should think, and there are bound to be some tarmac stages somewhere. It must take a lot of balls to do the Dakar Rally competitively on a bike, aiming to do well rather than just finish. People die more doing that than they ever do doing conventional road races from what I can tell.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1