Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Plymouth - Dakar

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:48)
View previous topic : View next topic  

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Plymouth - Dakar Reply with quote

https://www.plymouth-dakar.co.uk/

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/index.htm?news_id=790

Anyone ever heard of this?

This rally is nothing to do with the larger event inspireing it, the rules are few, one of them being participating cars cost no more than £100 and no more than £15 for preparation (think its fairly common place for them to spend more although they can be disqualified if they really blatantly cheat)

Although this rally is all done with bangers of the 4 wheeled variety..

How cool would doing this on two wheels be! rules would need modifying slightly (most £100 bikes wont get you down the street generally)

I'd love to have the guts to do something like this, think i'd want more experience first + do something a bit more tame before hand.

What do you all think? would you have to be tapped to even think of attempting something like this?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 20:13 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd need a lot of time and I suspect money on your hands to attempt it.

You can't even get a mini-moto for under £100. I'm not sure what you COULD get for £100?! Almost certainly nothing with an MOT.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, £100 is not enough on a bike, like i said the rules would need altering to suit, £500 would be more realistic...

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 20:42 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, £500 would buy you my XJ, which is seemingly indestructable.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:42 - 12 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you all think? would you have to be tapped to even think of attempting something like this?

Considering doing a proper long haul/a year touring trip as we speak.

Buy Dominator or XT600 for £1500 in ok condition. Load it up with a couple of days clothes and plenty of underwear. all the proper tools, maps documents and ride towards Dover. Learn how to stop falling off in forests/desserts along the way.

Dont think im tapped. More intrigued to turn down an unknown road knowing ill get somewhere eventually. Just that this road is the size of the world, and I enjoy camping, and riding. Simple!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1