BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Super Moto

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Super Moto Reply with quote

Ok, I'm not exactly new to biking, but if it's anything other than a modernish (80s+) sporty(ish) bike, I'm pretty much clueless in the world of bikes.

At the moment, I ride a Daytona 600, which is a great, except I've done 17,000 miles in the last year, mainly because of my job, and my previous job. Now, 17,000 miles probably isn't a lot to many of you, however, I don't want to rack up the miles on it, I'd rather have it for fun, and have a bit of a work horse. But I can't stand boring bikes, so basically, I want a bike I can have fun on (in a different kind of way), be cheap on insurance, and if it's good on fuel, bonus!
I'd love to know what options I have for Supermoto bikes (road going version of trials bikes, incase I've called them the wrong things) mainly because as I see it, they're easy to wheelie, as I'm crap at them, they mostly have small engine sizes, which is ideal for insurance for me, and I've been told I could change the tyres, and go off roading with them, and it's a different bike, so I won't be comparing it to my Daytona! So if anyone knows of what bikes to look out for, brand and models then please let me know! If you have one for sale, or know someone who has one for sale, in the Kent area, also, let me know.

Thanks a lot! Sorry for the long post. Sad

Edit: I also want it to be be four stroke, as I could never trust myself to remember to put two stroke oil in, and four strokes are, apparently, more reliable. Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:41 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Re: Super Moto Reply with quote

I suspect most supermotos will handle the miles a lot less well than your daytona, especially 'decent' ones, as these tend to be in a fairly high state of tune.

I'm not too up on the ready made ones, but if you can find one modified from a 600 enduro bike you should have some decent time before it goes bang Smile.

Easy to wheely tends to be partly because they're a lot lower geared with a decent amount of power. Downgear your TT by 33% and it'll be easy to wheely as well Smile.

Personally, I'd be inclined to ignore the supermoto and just get a trail bike with trail bike wheels (can still get some quite grippy road tyres.) This way you've got a bigger choice.

While this sort of bike'll be better for commuting in town, it won't be so great and can ge to be a (literally) pain in the neck for faster journeys.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to have a supermoto, that would be the fun bike. Your Daytona would have to become the workhorse.

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've been missinformed about Supermotos, are they not trial bikes with road going features?
That's what the local Kwacky dealer told me. Sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:43 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are trail bikes (different to trials bikes, but you were thinking of trail not trial when you said it) with road going features.

By the nature of trail bikes they tend to have low gearing (crap for distance but good for short stuff, like green lanes, mx tracks or inner citys Smile ), they also tend to be higher tuned.
It's not that often that people do 17,000 miles off road, while it's pretty common on road.
So service intervals are often shorter, much shorter for a 'serious' supermoto.
The tend to be less good for distance because, like trail bikes they are high and often quite vibey.

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to get a commuter, and seriously mess with the gearing, would that be a wheelie beast too? I guess I want a bike that I can run into the ground, not really care about, but get me 20 miles (nearly all dual carriage way) but also be able to drop trying to wheelie and stoppie on.

Thanks for the advice, is much appreciated!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:09 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at maybe an old 600 sports bike or even say an old fireblade and down gear it.

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are old sports bikes going to be cheap(ish) to insure though? (How nice would life be without having to pay insurance? Sad)

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:37 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends your age etc.
Older bikes are often cheaper to insure, look at spending less money as well, so can go for TPO and it can come out quite reasonable.

For the TRX I paid £240 TPO, but including cover to ride any bikes and my 'history' is now terrible for getting insurance Confused.

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for taking this slightly off topic, but what sort of gear ratios do trial style bikes have? Is it the gearbox where they're short, or is it the front/rear sprocket?

I've been offered a bandit 600 for cheap (although it's heavy! Sad) and was thinking if I just changed the front/rear ratios, it could serve my purpose? I guess the main reason I want a second bike is to wheelie, but I'd use it to get to work, which is why I don't want a 2t, as it's not as reliable.

Sorry for being a pain! Embarassed

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit would have no problem wheelying.

What you tend to find is that supermotos go 25 in first, 40 in second etc. with extremely quick changes. They tend to top out at about 90, but will wheely all the way there, whilst spinning the rear wheel.

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a quote for £400 for a DR400, compared to £550 of a GS500e and £600 for a Bandit 600. Said it was because DR400s can be crashed and have little damage to it?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 16 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when the previous owner dropped the MZ it cracked the plastics in a couple of places and damaged a grip. That's all.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1