Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Closure of "The Wheel"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BlackSheep
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:36 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a fair point but at the end of the day , who the fuck do the police force think they are to tell people what to do ?
me personally , im sick of the police and government taking away what few freedoms i have left , i would love to go up there and support the landlady and spend some money in her pub ,but its just too far for me to be feasable .

But i do believe those that can get there should go and show the police that sometimes they should just butt the fuck out of other peoples buisiness as no crimes were bieng committed .

the problem in this country is that the government are scared of large groups of like minded people getting together , I wonder why?

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

im so fookin pissed off with this country. would the pub have been shut if 1500 dickhead chavs in shitty chaved up cars with 20ft wide exhausts on turned up? i dont fooking think so, bikes r an easy target for coppas and something needs to done.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:42 - 23 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiN wrote:
Woah there. I think that some people need to take a step back before lunging in...but I've never been to the place, so I could be wrong...

Hi

Could be, but we were there last night and there were no real parking problems. Several people marshalling the bikes to spaces on the car park. Yes there is a queue for the loos, but notwhere near as bad as most night clubs.

That the police spent a couple of hours building up to closing the place down suggests that it was all pre planned.

All the best

Keith

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 01:21 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is discraceful.

I'll be there next wednesday. I'll even put my legal can and visor on so the bastards can't do me for anything.

Liono
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:58 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without ever having been to the meet I can't really comment, however I would guess that there are more public safety issues with many football matches, so will the police be closing these down too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 08:21 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the pub was closed down due to public safety

well then close down all the pubs in the centre of towns on a friday and saturday night! surely its a matter of public safety than people get hugely pissed up and start fights with strangers! Evil or Very Mad
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lastest grapevine news is that MCN should be there next week. I don't know whether it has been posted on their website, but I know they phoned a bloke my mum knows about it.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:15 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article from the Express & Star can be read online by clicking here.
Quote:
Inspector Andy Thomas, of Bridgnorth police, said..."I attended the premises in response to calls by members of the public about public safety and I closed the pub under Section 179 of the Licensing Act,"

As said before, given the level of police presence and the planning and coordination required, this was hardly a quick jump in the car and see what's happening. This was planned and orchestrated well in advance. IMO Andy Thomas is indulging in a little spin doctoring and telling a few little porky pies Confused Mad

<edit>Found news story from the BBC site here
Quote:
Pub closed over rallying bikers
Police closed a Shropshire pub after up to 1,500 bikers congregated there for an unofficial weekly rally.

The Wheel at Worfield, near Bridgnorth, was banned from trading temporarily on Wednesday night amid safety concerns.

Insp Andy Thomas, from West Mercia Police, said the event was "an accident waiting to happen".

He issued a 24-hour banning notice and said he would apply for an extension to the order at Telford Magistrates' Court following complaints from residents.

Insp Thomas added: "The scale of the event has become totally inappropriate for the area, with random parking of machines on the grass verges, pavements and any available space restricting the views of emerging traffic."

The pub was banned from trading from just after 2100 BST on Wednesday.

The biker event happens every Wednesday during the summer months, police said.

It appears the police media officers are on the ball and getting their message across. However, where is the other side of the story, I though the BBC had a mandate not to show bias. Their account of the bike parking is certainly contradicted by Kickstarts (Keith's) account. Perhaps one of the biking organisations (MAG/BMF) should have their say (although probably not, as that'll be confrontational and they do everything by negotiation and compromise Rolling Eyes)</edit>

Thumbs Up

Last edited by map on 12:50 - 24 Jun 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Andy Thomas is a dickhead or those reporting on his words are deaf.[1]

Closures of premises are nothing to do with Section 179 of the Licensing Act - they are covered by S160 - 171. See https://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/30017--i.htm#160

Interestingly enough, according to the provisions of those sections, if there are people who plan turning up next week to kick off at the police, the closure could be made permanent as a result of their actions.

It might be wise to get some press along and warn anyone who's going to be on their best behaviour for the nice cameras.

Not that I expect the dickheads among us to take any notice, of course...

[1] I know which explanation my money's on.

BlackSheep
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:49 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could have sworn we beat hitler in WW2

We did but some bunch of twats recently voted him in to be our prime minister

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 20:23 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are we meeting somewhere else then turning up in convoy on wednesday?

Might be an idea to come in via that B road opposite the pub if people want to avoid getting pulled over, then I propose a mass burnout protest on the car park. Twisted Evil

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 20:28 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
So, are we meeting somewhere else then turning up in convoy on wednesday?

Might be an idea to come in via that B road opposite the pub if people want to avoid getting pulled over, then I propose a mass burnout protest on the car park. Twisted Evil

OK.

You go first. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 20:55 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
It might be a better idea for a few hundred bikes to turn up at Andy Thomas' house at 4am, every night until the nazi scumbag returns the licence

bet they would get you for loitering with intent or some sort of terror law! Rolling Eyes
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The convoy idea sounds good!

Someone needs to pick a place to meet!

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 21:10 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm tempted to head through shifnal then pick up the B road to the wheel, so if someone suggests a meeting place somewhere along there then I'm game.

Ash, you can ride down with me if you want, seems pointless us both heading from stoke and meeting somewhere along the route we're both taking anyway.

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok shaun...dom will be tagging along too!

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 21:13 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dammit, not that cunt again! Razz

ash t
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Ill see if JP and And are coming too!

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 24 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanna go....on my hopefully de-restricted bike Cool
bandit250 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 25 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandit250 wrote:
They have to leave the dirty immigrants alone

Why are immigrants "dirty"? Thumbs Down I really hate people who scapegoat others to hide their own 'trashcans'.

Most bikers regularly brake the law, so it is not illogical for the police to target bikers. Yea, the police often operate outside the law and bank upon the public not realising, and even when people do complain they get away with it due to the corrupt courts(as will probably happen in this case).

So the police are corrupt, the courts are full of crap, and the law itself is a million miles from the reality of modern life. This does not give you the excuse to be racist Thumbs Down What a cunt Middle Finger

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 05:07 - 25 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they wanna close it down because although know one there does anything particularly silly they dont want to have to think about policing it if people did start to be silly.

i have heard that at bassetts pole some bikers on fast bikes goad the police into high speed chases

The police need to feel they could take control if the need arose and with the number of bikes at the wheel they couldnt take control if something did happen so they'd prefer just to close it down so it is never a problem.

Daft cos in a pub near me someone was shot and they never closed that pub down.

A few bikes on a car park and a few parked on the other side of the road and suddenly it must be stopped.

I cant blame locals wanting to have peace and quiet on their roads but they are OUR roads too as we pay taxes to use them.

im not sure i wanna go down if some bikers are gonna do something silly as an act of rebellion and im sure there is something i could get pulled for.

bumper
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:04 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to BJ bike spares on Saturday they have got a sign up in their window asking everyone to turn up as normal.................

So looks like The Wheel here we come............

BRMB are apparently going as well................

So who else is up for it.................

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 11:39 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one will definitely be there, I am going to go and get myself a nice HUGE numberplate so that there is NOTHING illegal about my bike.

They can give me a producer and waste their time and resources as much as they want.

If they are giving out producers one idea would be to try and organise everyone (or as many as possible) to go and present their documents at the same time at Bridgnorth Police Station. Very Happy

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 12:28 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
...They can give me a producer and waste their time and resources as much as they want....

If stopped and asked for documents why not just take them with you?
Obviously there might be a slight delay in starting writing the ticket and you remembering you had them Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6