Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Closure of "The Wheel"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Method
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just curious here erm,

Theyve shut down "The Wheel" because of "Public Safety" correct?
Well what about "The Ace Cafe"... from what ive seen, there are regular meets there, and people regularly doing stunts/ wheelies/ overtakes/ etc along the road outside it... so why has "The Wheel" been closed when there is nothing wrong with "The Ace" staying open?

Now dont slate me for this post, im not trying to say the Ace Cafe should be closed, far from it, im just trying to see the reason in the "Public Safety" comment for closing "The Wheel".

This is just something that has occured to me over the last day or so, reading the few posts about it, and also this "Concern" of mine may be completely incorrect, but i have not been to either The Wheel, or The Ace Cafe, so my oppinions may be completely wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the police force that cover the area.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 13:12 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

LH-ER5 wrote:
...depends on the police force that cover the area.

Or apparently how much emphasis they put on local residents' 'phone calls Confused

Picture the scene.
The 'local resident' phones the local cop shop:
"There's bikers meeting at a pub near me"
"Don't worry, we'll have the helicopter out, as many officers as we can get, set up road blocks and video tape everything and we've already arrange to close the pub. I'm sure you'll sleep safe."

...and then you or me phones the local cop shop:
"My motorcycle just been stolen"
"Well, were busy right now, we'll get someone to see you in two or three days"

Mad

Last edited by map on 13:18 - 27 Jun 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:13 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to go but ill see if i get my restrictor fitted by then so im all legal, if i get pulled on my cb500 ill be screwed, if it comes before wednesday though ill be there, its this wednesday right??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 16:18 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My standard can is at the ready...

I imagine the wheel will be rammed this week !!! Twisted Evil

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 22:28 - 27 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
They've only removed her licence to sell alcohol.

I wonder what the pigs would do if we all just carried on turning up and drank coke.

Not true, they can't serve anything, I asked the bar staff.

And as for doing burnouts in the carpark, I wouldn't bother. It only gives the police more ammo in their argument that we're causing a disturbance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 09:25 - 28 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for taking my documents with me, that will take less time for them than if I have to go and present them at a police station.

Besides... someone might steal my bike AND my documents - and we all know exactly how much effort the police put into recovering stolen bikes Wink

I just intend to be as awkward as possible. If I get pulled over, I might see about demanding a female police officer to ensure that I am not being sexually harrassed nor discriminated against, etc etc.

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 09:41 - 28 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
If I get pulled over, I might see about demanding a female police officer to ensure that I am not being sexually harrassed nor discriminated against, etc etc.

oooh.... I think I might ask for the same! Very Happy

You can also ask for their name and police number thing, which they hate giving out.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:10 - 28 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
(how about a hundred bikers make a formal complaint against the head scumbag for shutting down the pub in the first place? It's your right to do so)

That is probably the best thing to do, and might well be worth doing. I want to see how this Wednesday goes first.

All the best

Keith

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 20:44 - 28 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki wrote:
Annabella wrote:
If I get pulled over, I might see about demanding a female police officer to ensure that I am not being sexually harrassed nor discriminated against, etc etc.

oooh.... I think I might ask for the same! Very Happy

Expecting a gay copper then?

Vespa
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:22 - 28 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Vespa on 01:57 - 01 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 21:37 - 28 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vespa wrote:
Are you guys really saying that all the quoted 1,500 bikes were parked legally in the carpark,

No, but there is sufficient parking, and there are volunteers who act as marshalls to ensure that no one is parked obstructing the traffic or views from the junctions.

Vespa wrote:

The landlady is to blame, not the police, as she did not implement any of the changes recommended. Presumably, they would have cost her money.

There have been a huge amount of changes made making it a lot easier to park and far safer. These things do not change over night. I would imagine that the changes the police suggested involving not serving bikers - which they tried to so a few years ago... Confused

To be fair, I can see your point of view as someone who has not witnessed the meet. If the views were that badly obstructed then there would have been an accident a long time before now, and there have been none. The whole thing is a complete farse, there is not real reason for the police to close the pub, and that is why there has been such an uproar.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:43 - 28 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vespa wrote:
Are you guys really saying that all the quoted 1,500 bikes were parked legally in the carpark, causing no obstruction, visual or otherwise, and that none of the bikers was behaving like a complete cnut?

That night I saw none parked on the road. I saw nobody playing silly buggers (and will the overwhelming police presence it would not have been a bright thing to do anyway)

Vespa wrote:
Followed by throwing bottles and bike parts at the police, therefore, justifying the closure of the pub and giving credence to some people's view that bikers really are thugs.

Depends who you listen to. Most seem to say it was plastic beer glasses and that was after they had closed the pub.

Vespa wrote:
Therefore, leaving the police even less time to investigate bike thefts and muggings?

Or less time to get aggressive over another quiet bike meet. The Wheel really is a quiet bike meet, far better organised and far less sillyness than just about any other I have been to.

Vespa wrote:
The landlady is to blame, not the police, as she did not implement any of the changes recommended. Presumably, they would have cost her money.

She certainly did. Several extra marshalls. Seperate field used for car parking. Several extra overflow bike parks. Burger van moved onto the car park away from the road. Fencing installed on the verge to stop people going onto the road when walking past the pub (and a rope barrier in front of the car park for a similar effect).

Vespa wrote:
So, you're saying that obstructing the view is OK? Will you feel the same if you're riding on a main road and somebody comes from a sidestreet straight into your path, as he couldn't see you for the junction having an obstructed view?

No obstructions of view. It was easy to see getting out of the place.

Vespa wrote:
How's she going to pay her bills and mortgage? Oh, I don't know, how about from the highly inflated profits from non-alcoholic drinks that she's served over the years? Boo hoo!

At least she was performing a public service, unlike Shropshire police who are just fabricating situations.

All the best

Keith

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 29 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to be there tommorow, but i dont think a mass extra turnout of angry bikers, isnt going to make the Motorcyclist/Police relationship any better or gain anything.
I certainely when i do next attend the Wheel or any other biker pub night, want to be having to feel that i must fit a legal plate and silencer to my bike, and i won't do so anyway.
lastly i have no insurance or tax atm, so there's no way i could use my bike tomorrow anyway.
When the hayfever season subsides, i will be at the Wheel and the Waterman, probably every other wednesday night until the end of october, and anyway if we cannot get a drink at the Wheel, what about the pub about a mile up the road, going towards Wolverhamton? I presume the police have not closed that pub as well, and if not im sure there will be loads of bikes parked up there, so they wont have changed anything, by closing the Wheel.

catman
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:35 - 29 Jun 2005    Post subject: the wheel o worfield Reply with quote

in response to vespa plod,the so called obstruction of view from the junction by the wheel well once again someones opinion from an absentee.I have never seen an obstruction on that junction caused by any biker parking his/her bike ,however about 3 maybe 4 week ago an unmarked police car parked up on the corner exit of this junction to take note and talk to his colleague's on the radio, it was only when a law abiding bike enthusiast decided to take a photo and remind the officer that he was parked illegally that he eventually left obviously in a sulk cause he called his mates to drive up and down pimping for action.
Also to note that on the night last week it was once again a police motorcyclist that parked his bike up by the centre island of the junction for some time talking to his video men on the central island.
Love to find the bloke with the photo
so who really is causing the safety issue,and now because of heavy handed tactics what has always been a good meet is threatened with a few idiots who no doubt never normally come down and will give the police real reason to haras and limit law abiding tax payers .Well at least at this rate we are going to have no where to go so we will all be at home protecting our properties against the scumbags the police find to difficult to sort out.
oh and by the way on getting home last wednesday I had to put up with 30 youths kicking off drunk and crap knows what else untill well gone 12am with two calls to the police one at 11.20 the other at 12.00 only for a car to turn up at 12.15 spoke briefly to a small group who had started to walk away then left with one rear light out as well (£30 fine if that was a bike)
time to stand tall and get the police to kick the scum arse not the people that pay their salaries.:x :x

beasty1711
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:58 - 29 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

could do the ghots rider thing/... and everyone turn up in full leathers and kiddies bmx's Laughing

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 10:10 - 29 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mention the riot thing along time ago, the public have got to stop being trampled on by these pigs and authority figures, they are taking our pleasures away slowly or making it much harder to have some peace.
Makes me laugh “They aren’t all like that blah blah blah”
Fucking are.
Fuck em
Fuck off

C.U.N.T.S Middle Finger

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 29 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember a different forum went to London Bridge to throw raw sausages at David Blaine when he did his 40 days in a perspex box thing...

They were going to meet in a pub nearby, but had to cancel as the police caught wind of it and could shut the place down for 'citing to riot'.

Now I'm not fully aware of the situation, 'The Wheel' is far away from me, but it could be box hil or even the Ace.

Whatever happens, the crowd need to be sure they are always within the law, otherwise it will become pointless as it will just give plod more ammo the get a permenant closure of the pub.

I hope it doesnt and this mess is all cleared up quickly!

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 13:02 - 29 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Depends who you listen to. Most seem to say it was plastic beer glasses and that was after they had closed the pub.

Just to back this up, i was watching the whole thing from above when it happened. The police HAD just closed the pub and were making there way through the car park. I don't think they were glass for 1. It could land on someones bike and scratch it a fair bit. 2, There was many other bikers around and tbh i don't think the people throwing the bottles would want to miss and cut open an innocent bikers face. 3. I heard no glass shattering. 4. If it did hit the police and cut them, then it would have been a serious case of assault.

Vespa, i don't really see how you can make such judgemental decisions seeing as your going off 2nd hand information and so called facts. You have no idea how the pub is set up and by what your saying it sounds as if you've never been there. One large carpark followed by 3 overflow car parks above each other next to the pub are all used. As for the behaviour, i saw not ONE wheely or burnout last week.

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 13:09 - 29 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right Vespa, the Midlanders bike meets are all boring affairs. Nothing like as good as the Ace or Chelsea Bridge Razz

sychosis
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:40 - 29 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all attending the wheel, should put their leathers on and turn up in cars, see how much room they take up then.
psy?cho?sis (si-ko-sis),n. pl. psy?cho?ses (-sez) ,A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:48 - 29 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was there 2 or 3 weeks ago when the car parks were almost full and some people had parked on the grass opposite.

obstructed view is nonsense as you can always see over and past a motorcycle if no one is sitting on it (unlike a car)

Ive only been 3 times but there was no sillyness burnouts wheelies etc. At the time I was a bit disappointed about this.

In the local paper the police admitted that there had not been any bad behaviour but felt that the sheer numbers made it an accident waiting to happen.

Any gathering of vehicles can be seen as an accident waiting to happen but we dont close down supermarkets because one day there may be an accident due to all the people using the car park.

The police are just trying to stop a potential problem without caring if it ever actually would be a problem.

I wonder if the burger van will still be there this week. I think more burgers were being sold than pints.

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 29 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont they still have that act in place when the raves were dying out in 92 or whenever where by 4 people stood round a car with the stereo playing was considered an illegal gathering?.

they could get you on that.

also how are you going to distance yourselves from the the fair weather biker office worker hooligan element?.

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 00:15 - 30 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a really good turn out, and a good chance to meet a few BCF'ers Thumbs Up
even the ones that figget and jump around a lot Wink
Thumbs Up

beasty1711
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:51 - 30 Jun 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerrang radio mentioned it on the news this am

anyone got any pics of the turnout?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6