Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'Not used on track'

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:03 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: 'Not used on track' Reply with quote

Just a musing on something cos I'm bored and hot and want to go home.

You often see in adverts 'bike never used on track' as a positive selling point. But is it really a plus? I can't speak for anyone else, but since I started trackdaying my bike I actually look after it better than I did when I just used it on the road - oil changes are a case of 'I've done a couple of trackdays, better change it' rather than slavishly abiding by the manufacturer's guidelines (the last lot was still pink when it came out!), I check all the odds and sods before every trackday because I'm aware that I'm going to be going very quickly and will need things like brakes to work to their full capacity. So little niggles will be found early and sorted, rather than suddenly making themselves apparent by something going wrong.

Most noticably, given a damn good thrashing seems to clear everything out - it runs much better these days than when I used to commute everyday only using about half the rev range. Smile

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 17:10 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly because not everyone like yourself will carry out maintainance more often. Buyers may think it's been "ragged" around a track, whereas this other one for sale isn't. They may then make the judgement that the none track used one will be less "abused" and "battered." Just my thoughts on it. I wouldn't mind if a bike has been on track, as long as it's not been a trackbike all it's life. As hard regular abuse will obviously put more strain under most components in the bike. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 17:27 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

they should say ' not toured on'
as that makes noticable wear and tear on your bike Smile
as well as making the 'if its mint' bodywork tatty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:28 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
...Buyers may think it's been "ragged" around a track...

Was thinking buyers may think it's been slid across a track as well Wink

Just thinking what Bendy's advert would be, possible includes 'one careful lady owner, regular services...' Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:30 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

More odd is ones that say 'never raced' on a bike that the closest it could have got to a race track is the carpark.

I know they race some weird things, but when you see it on a cx500?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:32 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Most of the wear is from starts, so track use means extra starts and the engine being thrashed hard. Brakes getting some serious abuse, same for chain and cush drive.

Oil changes help, but oil goes black from stuff blowing past the rings normally. Black oil is not worn oil, it is dirty oil.

I probably would prefer a bike that has not been thrashed around a track, but saying "not used on track" tends to make me think that someone has a guilty conscence. However I would still be most worried about the rider and condition. Turning up to look at a bike and having the owner start it and rev it hard to warm it up would be of far more concern.

All the best

Keith

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:33 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
they should say ' not toured on'....

Unless it's a BMW, Pan or an FJR obviously Wink Very Happy

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 17:37 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
so track use means extra starts

Track use made me buy a car. So that's less starts for the bike overall. Smile

In summary, adverts are all bollocks, trust no one.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 17:41 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt say that, you can usuially get a good idea about the bike from the advert.

someone having LOADS of pictures of the bike is allways a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:44 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
In summary, adverts are all bollocks, trust no one.

Pretty much true.

A track day means 6~8 heat cycles through the engine, valves hammering into the head hard (and getting a very nasty time if the valve clearances are too tight).

Be difficult to know what it is equivalent to. Guess wise 100 miles on a track is probably about as wearing as 500 miles on the road, given the number of starts followed with short bouts of abuse.

All the best

Keith

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention a lot of people thrashing the bike before it's warm. What did one of the oil comanies recently recommend? 20 minutes of running before any heavy use? Imagine that on a track... "Right, 20 minutes gone, here we go! Oh, chequered flag, dammit!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 20:34 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not actually moving, but by the time I've faffed about lining up to go out on track the bike's had lots more warming up time than I ever give it on the road. Smile

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you probably don't redline it in every gear all the way to your destination though. Or do you...? Wink

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:49 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Maybe not actually moving, but by the time I've faffed about lining up to go out on track the bike's had lots more warming up time than I ever give it on the road. Smile

The warming up of the oil is very different to the warming up of the engine indicated by the temperature gauge.

Just to frighten you a touch, one study a few years back checked how long it took the oil to get to the top of the engine from a cold start (something like at -30). About 90 seconds.

All the best

Keith

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:53 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first things I look at is the chicken strips. Now most people would think that if they're wide then it hasn't been thrashed. I think it's more likely that it's been owned by someone who doesn't know shit about bikes. Anyone who has put enough years of biking in to know how to look after it isn't going to have 2 inch wide chicken strips

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:06 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even classic racers tear down and rebuild the engine every two or three races. This implies to me that they are taking something of a hammering, they wouldn't do it otherwise. I presume you will be pushing the engine of your bike just as hard on a track day.

Very first thing I would do if I was buying a commonly raced bike (the 350 powervalve is a good example) is to check the sump plug. If there were lockwire holes in it, I would turn round and walk away.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 22:06 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people have bought a low mileage 'bargain' to find that the low mileage is cos the damn thing never works properly?

craig did anyway

How about 'never seen rain' then?

'One lady owner'?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:09 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comes with many spares Neutral

Unfinished project, all complete, requires some assembly for MOT Laughing Laughing Laughing

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:13 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
How many people have bought a low mileage 'bargain' to find that the low mileage is cos the damn thing never works properly?

Good point. Always be wary of Low milage Blackbirds. Once in a while you get one that has very bad vibration. Nothing will put it right. Owners usualy get shot ASAP.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 22:17 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
How about 'never seen rain' then?

'One lady owner'?

Both of which are entirely worthless to me.

Never seen the rain - prove it.

One lady owner - shall I take that to mean that you dropped it a gazillion times and overly stressed the engine by going everywhere at 3krpm? Or shall I take it to mean that it has been used/abused just like any other bike on the planet?

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 14 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS125 adverts always amuse me.

Recent rebuild - 17 year old owner has been doing 100 everywhere
Genuine reason for sale - owner has lost his license for the said 100mph.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1