Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

supermoto's safest bikes!!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 22:15 - 15 Jul 2005    Post subject: supermoto's safest bikes!!!! Reply with quote

found this on the virgin bikes insurance website, made me giggle! Laughing

virgin bikes wrote:
Supermoto Safest
Latest figures issued by the Driver Safety Monitoring Body (DSMB) conclusively prove that the safest form of motorcycle transport is Supermoto.

DSMB Press Officer, Barry McCoy, said: The latest statistics (Jan-Dec 04) show that if you ride a Supermoto bike, you're 72% less likely to be involved in a serious accident, 66% less likely to be prosecuted for speeding and 55% less likely to have it stolen.'

On hearing the news an insurance industry insider, who refused to be named, said: ' This comes as no suprise. It's much harder for Gatsos to read your number when your doing a near vertical wheelie and the best anti-theft device ever fitted was a left hand kickstart and 12:1 compression piston.

They're going to be big this summer because they're so cheap to insure, make no mistake.'

Visit www.supermotoracing.net for more heavily biased information.

WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:19 - 15 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rubbish IMO.

Yes less likely to be caught speeding but probably more likely to get done for dangerous driving.

Yes less likely to be in accident but only because most supermoto owners ride them a lot less than a sports bike and take different, quieter roads for fun rideouts..

Also the fact that there are a billllllllllion more times sports bikes than supermotos too..

Supermotos are far from safe.. I've fallen off my moto a few times on the road whilst stunting about Laughing good fun though

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 15 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

72% less likely to be in an accident. Quite true really when the engine spends 99% of its time out of the bike and in a mechanics hands (cheap dig in the ribs at yams hee hee Razz)

SM bikes have never really been on my "wanted" list. Or anything high up really, like a BMW 1150GS or similar. Having said that I didn't hit the reserve on a auction for a cagiva canyon yesterday Sad

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:24 - 15 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
72% less likely to be in an accident. Quite true really when the engine spends 99% of its time out of the bike and in a mechanics hands (cheap dig in the ribs at yams hee hee Razz)

Ooooooooooooo I'll be thinking up ways to get my own back for that one Mr...!!!! Twisted Evil Laughing

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 04 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are really safe bikes though!

Ok i've come off mine 7times now since February but all but one while trying to back it in.

Overtaking is so much safer than a sports bike as you can see over the tops of cars easier, nip in and out of gaps quicker and they stop quicker than any sports bike.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 16:46 - 04 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

valver wrote:
they stop quicker than any sports bike.

They don't. Razz

I saw that article too, made me laugh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
valver wrote:
they stop quicker than any sports bike.

They don't. Razz

I saw that article too, made me laugh.

I'm not talking about any article Laughing Seen it wif ma own eyes matey!

I guess i should change my statement to 'most sports bikes' otherwise i'm sure you'll pluck something from somewhere about some sports bike that weighs F**k all.

All i can say for sure is the my motard with standard brembos stops from 130 quicker than both a new R1 and blade....or if you wanna be really pernickety 'stops quicker than my mates can on there new R1s and Blades' I'm sure Rossi could make them stop quicker.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:57 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

valver wrote:

All i can say for sure is the my motard with standard brembos stops from 130 quicker than both a new R1 and blade....or if you wanna be really pernickety 'stops quicker than my mates can on there new R1s and Blades' I'm sure Rossi could make them stop quicker.

Indeed, I shan't comment on your average new litre bike rider.

The supermoto has got less weight to stop.
However that can be a disadvantage as well.
Presuming both bikes are stopping with maximum braking (so the point just before the back is about to come up) the sports bikes should be better for quite a few different reasons.

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 14:22 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

valver wrote:
I'm not talking about any article Laughing Seen it wif ma own eyes matey!

Sorry, i was referring to the article at the top of the page. Nothing to do with the argument on brakes.

Just because your mates don't stop as quick as you it doesn't mean your bike stops quicker. Razz My rs50 stops quicker than most of my mates rs125's, it's only down to the fact i do harder braking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 15:19 - 05 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportsbikes have a lot more weight to stop compared to supermotos, but they carry their weight lower which makes it easier to use more of the available braking force before the back wheel comes off the ground.

If both bikes were fitted with a 'stoppie bar' to prevent the back coming off the ground I suspect the motard would easily outbrake the sportsbike given their identical contact patches and difference in weight, but as-is I'm not really sure about. Probably a bit of fun to be had testing this theory, 60-0 challenge anyone? Razz

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 06 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 0-60-0 challenge would be more interesting.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 262 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1