Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crashed (updated with photographer's pics!)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

no_shad
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 04:15 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, does the bike have a steering damper?

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh nasty!

Unlucky Silver, but good that you're not anymore battered, bruised and forgetful than you are.

I'm impressed with the way the kit's held up too. Big thumbs up for the leathers.

Get well soon and get back on the bike! Wink Thumbs Up

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 11:03 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got off quite well really. Confused If the bike had of really flicked you off hard you could of broken bones. Neutral Sad

Let's see the pics of the bike then. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:08 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What codec is that using?

no_shad wrote:

Not sure why you were asking, but if you're not aware a steering damper is unlikely to help at all in a high side.

I managed to highside on Saturday (my first 'proper' highside Very Happy Razz), but came off a lot better.
Clutch lever needed for the bike (only the bobble at the end broken off) and a new helmet for me (they wouldn't let me continue with the old, now rather scuffed, one.)

Was your helmet a good fit?
I got some nasty concusion when I rolled on my head on my not-perfect-fit FM. However this time I was fine, though not sure how hard I hit my head, but they are definitely more scuffs than on yours (probably from a bit of 'scraping' though).

cbrbiker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:14 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver, I've got the same suit as you (Dainese Luce) and I've just had it repaired via Bike Stop in Stevenage who sent if off to official Dainese repairers. I tell you what mate, it looks like a new suit! Cost me £140 and it looks as good as new. The guy in the shop was showing me where they'd repaired everything and even he had to look twice to see what had been fixed!

Looked like a nasty off mate, but thank god you're ok. Good track etiquette from other riders raising hands etc.

Just a bit too much gas. Amazing how little it takes to high side, isn't it? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 11:21 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember there's some deceptively odd camber there on the exit heading up the hill, far less grippy than it looks like it should be... unlucky mate. At least you're ok and got a rather cool viddy out of it Wink

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
What codec is that using?

Just bog standard MPEG2, offered by Adobe Premiere.

G wrote:
Was your helmet a good fit?

Yes. Now I'm slowly remembering things. Not about yesterday, but I remember the bloke buying my bike now and a few others things.

no_shad wrote:

Yes, but that's normally only useful in a tank slapper situation. No-way it's going to stop a highside (although I'd have been bloody grateful if it had).

cbrbiker wrote:
Silver, I've got the same suit as you (Dainese Luce) and I've just had it repaired via Bike Stop in Stevenage who sent if off to official Dainese repairers. I tell you what mate, it looks like a new suit! Cost me £140 and it looks as good as new. The guy in the shop was showing me where they'd repaired everything and even he had to look twice to see what had been fixed!

Have you got their details? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RealNinja
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the crash mate, but at least you are in one peice!

Does this mean you aren't doing Oulton?

I was looking foward to meeting you

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:56 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbrbiker wrote:
Just a bit too much gas. Amazing how little it takes to high side, isn't it? Shocked

It isn't too much gas that causes the high side, it is the back end gripping again when sliding, often caused by the natural instinct to back off the gas when all hell breaks loose.

All the best

Keith

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hobbled outside (my ankle really bloody hurts now!) and surveyed the damage. I am sooooo lucky...

Arrow Both left hand indicators scuffed. Cosmetic only.
Arrow Engine casing worn down (see picture). I reckon with a bit of paint it'll look fine since it very kindly wore down at a uniform angle Thumbs Up
Arrow Front left fairing scuffed (see picture). Again, touching it up will help. Just need to keep checking eBay...
Arrow Gear change is broken (see picture).
Arrow Rear left fairing scuffed (see picture). This will probably be the most noticeable part. eBay is my friend.
Arrow R&G swingarms protectors - if you don't have them, get them! Protected the swingarm perfectly (see picture).
Arrow Crash bung knackered (as is it's job), but bent the mount slightly (see picture).
Arrow Scuffed clutch lever and bar end. Cosmetic only.

Basically I'm lucky because although I highsided, the bike landed on one side and slid. Obviously what normally happens is that the bike flips too. If the bike had turned over it'd have been much worse. Also, the crash protectors at the front and rear took most of the damage from sliding. One thing that amazed me is that the footpeg is fine - even the hero blob is still intact.

RealNinja wrote:
Does this mean you aren't doing Oulton?

Try and keep me away! Twisted Evil I'm still on about getting it fixed and riding to Donington for the GP. There is no way I am queueing in a car!

cbrbiker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:05 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
Have you got their details? Thanks.

Bike Stop
01438 317038 (not open Mondays)

Speak to a chap called Daniel. Nice bloke and a good laugh! (I only picked my Luce up on Saturday, so he'll probably remember me! He'll probably think those suits are cursed! lol)

www.bikestop.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chriss
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least the bike came off quite well. (As well as you can expect for throwing it down the track).

Hope you're able to get back on her soon.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 14:03 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.

Quite nasty to see you lying there motionless, even though it was only for a few seconds and I know that all is well. I bet you really shit up that marshal!

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:04 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like that hurt. Bikes does look to bad for a highside.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice off, if you're gonna do it, do it in a big way, huh? Wink
Glad to hear you're ok and that the bike isn't too damaged.

Andy99
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:09 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try giving Plastec a go on the fairing panels,they might be able to repair them cheaper than buying new ones,even of ebay. How about getting some kevlar case covers it'll hide the damage a treat Wink

Glad to see you're not too hurt and the bike got off pretty lightly too for a highside Thumbs Up

Give us a PM if you're riding up to the GP and want company,me and Cath will be coming up past Oxford on race day.

Just call me General Crazypaws.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:26 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Crashed Reply with quote

Ouch, looks nasty.

Have you had any other head aches etc from it?

Now this would be worthy of a caption comp:) :

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:44 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Crashed Reply with quote

G wrote:
Ouch, looks nasty.

Excelent Very Happy . I spent ages looking for that frame till I realised youd turned it.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Crashed Reply with quote

G wrote:
Ouch, looks nasty.

No, just the base of my back, my ankle and shoulder. I've been on Nurofen Plus which is working a treat! Thumbs Up

G wrote:

I didn't even recognise that at first! Gave me an idea though, so I went back and looked at the "off", frame by frame. Came up with the attached.

Oh, and I don't know for sure but I think my comment would have been something along the lines of "FUCK!" Wink

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 21:01 - 18 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

third one from the left on the bottom should be you new avatar. Laughing
bet you are glad you had the tankcam on! Thumbs Up
Hope the aches are going
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 19 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something else to bear in mind. I just looked back on the video, and it's a bit difficult to be exact because of the angle but...

Less than 90 seconds after the crash I was in the back of an ambulance.

Now, this year I've done five trackdays (one a month through the reasonable/good weather) and because of this I don't go out on my bike (on the road) just to go fast. I don't ride as fast on the road. Although I've crashed, I have done it safely (ish), in the best environment for it to happen. Regardless of the fact that the same crash would have been so much different (i.e. dangerous) on the road, I wonder how long it would have taken to put me in an ambulance...

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 23:05 - 19 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, glad you're ok, looked quite nasty, amazing how the camera happened to end up looking at you (and still worked).

Just a question, I know you probably can't remember in this instance. But do people usually power on like that in a corner, especially when banked over so far? I've always kept a steady throttle cornering and power on when im well on my way back to being upright.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:20 - 19 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I noticed that you were getting on the power very early - and much more than is needed for 40/60 weight distribution.

Depending on the track and tyres I have got the power on with WOT from the apex while pretty much knee down before (coming out of the esses at Snetterton with Slicks on the R6).

However I usually try to progressively roll on the throttle initially when I've started to sit the bike up, until I am sure the bike can take me snapping it on full.

Of course the trick to getting faster is to pull back those points slowly to the place that you start getting a slide, then always do it just after that point Smile.

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 19 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had the back slide much before, but I can't remember how I was riding on Sunday! Confused Looking back at the tape, I did pass a lot of people!

Ho hum, it's something to bear in mind. Good job there was no space in Inters for Oulton Park next month and I'm stuck in Novice because I'll be halfway down the straight before I put any power on! Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:40 - 19 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably worth watching some other trackday/race people videos of people that are good to get an idea when they're getting the power on.

The video that came with superbike mag is probably a good start Smile.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3