Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scotland welcomes bikers...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:59)
View previous topic : View next topic  

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:08 - 22 Jul 2005    Post subject: Scotland welcomes bikers... Reply with quote

Following on from the previous threads of BCF people visiting the north this makes an interesting read...

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4684329.stm

...now I've done Scotland before but will go again Thumbs Up
It also beats competing against all the scameras in Wales (I wonder if the tourist board think they're having an effect on income).

The link to Colin McGregor's site is https://www.scotlandbybike.com/index.asp

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 22 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Scotland.

But i've never seen so many cameras hidden on bridges, with a transit near by.

My works has a depot in Bellshill and the drivers there, say they put their foot down, when they get to Gretna (ie Border with England).

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:12 - 22 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
I've been to Scotland...never seen so many cameras hidden on bridges, with a transit near by....

Fair point, southern Scotland is awful, cameras on the only safe overtaking straight, at the bottom of steep hills, etc.

However, north of Perth where the really interesting scenery begins to take shape they're very very rare Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 22 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah once you pass perth i think there is about 3 cameras from there till inverness. At the moment though the highland police are targeting bikes for anything and they have the vans up on every bit of main road. just means you have to take all the good roads
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:38 - 22 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see a single police car in the three days I was in the Highlands, and the 14 days during which I would get any little surprises from ones I didn't see has just elapsed. Wink

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 22 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

well over the last 2 weeks they have been clamping down my dads mate who runs a training school in inverness says he cant take his pupils out without seeing one or two vans. was coming back the other day from inverness on the aberdeen road and there was one there right on the other side of a corner no signs saying cameras up. Middle Finger Evil or Very Mad Middle Finger CNUT!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 22 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two cameras face North between Inverness and Perth and two face south. Mobile cameras do appear from time to time but you'd have to be very unlucky to get caught by one.

I've been riding around the North of Scotland for 5years almost everyday and do about 12k a year. Only ever had one incident with a camera in that time. Thumbs Up

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:56 - 22 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

babykat250 wrote:
he cant take his pupils out without seeing one or two vans.

You're always gonna find them in the towns, bikes are easy pickings and to be honest, you shouldn't be speeding that much around town anyway. I'm talking about out in the Highlands, on the roads that people actually go to Scotland for. Smile

The Inverness to Perth and Inverness to Aberdeen roads have always been a bit dodgy for getting caught on, but there are more interesting twisty routes anyone with any sense will be taking, and they're usually plod-free. Thumbs Up

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 22 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i no you dont speed around town and i should have explained abit more when he is satisfied with his pupils hell normaly take them for a little country run and teach them about counter steering out of town thats normaly when he sees them on back roads the culloden moore to cawdor road they sit there which is a bitch.

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 09 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i went from Glasgow to Ullapool, nice bit of scenery up there but the A9 is one dangerous road, if you have time go up the coast if not keep your wits about you.

https://www.ullapool.co.uk/

They are a lot of B&B’s and even a hostel if you want to crash but when I went up I stayed in https://www.ullapoolaccommodation.com/ very nice house with a great view. There was a few of us that went up and would really recommend that run. Stop a Perth and Inverness for fuel if you are going right up the A9.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 09 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondeokid wrote:
I've been to Scotland.

But i've never seen so many cameras hidden on bridges, with a transit near by.

My works has a depot in Bellshill and the drivers there, say they put their foot down, when they get to Gretna (ie Border with England).

Load of old cobblers mate, I've never seen one around bellshill!

Besides. Touring scotland isn't going to be going to bellshill now, is it. Laughing

I'd rather they didn't bother coming here. No doubt it will cause more motorcycle accidents/deaths and our roads will have a heavier presence of traffic cops and scameras.

Go find your own roads. Wink

I see traffic cop cars everyday, but then again, it's on the M8, thats only natural.

cc123
Geez a joab?

PostPosted: 22:45 - 09 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Junction 11 and then south on the M74, thats when you need to look out for cameras on bridges.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1