Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Backing it in...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

ohdannyboy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:49 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Backing it in... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have taken the drz out in the rain for the first time today to get used to the feeling of losing rear wheel traction.

I would really like to be able to turn the out of the blue losses of grip into controlled powerslides.

Any advice on the steps to take to start getting the back out?

Or am I just crazy for thinking about doing this on the road?

Any input at all welcomed as always Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:56 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not intentionally done it myself but I believe a good start would be to learn how to do it on a lighter bike on a loose surface ie moto-x.

Expect to get hurt trying it on tarmac.

Chr!S
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:02 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Backing it in... Reply with quote

ohdannyboy wrote:
Hi all,

I have taken the drz out in the rain for the first time today to get used to the feeling of losing rear wheel traction.

I would really like to be able to turn the out of the blue losses of grip into controlled powerslides.

Any advice on the steps to take to start getting the back out?

Or am I just crazy for thinking about doing this on the road?

Any input at all welcomed as always Thumbs Up

You will fuck up

You will hurt yourself

You will feel like a tit

But

Make sure your on a private road with no other traffic. It's best to practise on a straight section before using this technique into corners. Get some speed up (60mph is fine).

1. Close the throttle, gently touch the front brakes, whip the clutch in and change down into first gear quickly.

2. Feed the clutch out to the biting point. Normally the revs would skyrocket into the red zone but use the rear braje to control them by stopping the rear wheel turning to fast.

3. Idelly the rear wheel should keep turning at about 20 mph while the road is passing under you at 60mph. You can control the direction by steering with your hips and using opposite lock.

4. Once youve perfewcted the technique, you can arrive at a corners apex as the slide dies out and the bike straightens up. youre then well postioned to fire out fast on the throttle.

What can go wrong?

First, this is one for the expert riders only. If you cant do big wheelies, dont try this. It can turn nasty fast. If the bike is sideways you panic and pull the clutch in, it can cause a reverse highside. Not good.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:05 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backing it in comes with speed.. people who try to do it before they are ready usually crash.. when you're ready to back it in you'll just be doing it naturally without thinking about it a great deal. Trying it on the road is stupid IMO and will only end up on your arse.

and jumping on the back brake or slippery wet roads DO NOT count Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:10 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Backing it in... Reply with quote

I got rather horrified posts when I mentioned I went down to first to initiate a slide.
I was told usually one gear down is fine - though my dr600 did seem to need to go to first, but we're talking a bike getting on for twenty years old here, not making a massive amount of power.

And I think I started going into the slide at 40mph or so - it helps to be braking with the front at the time to help relieve the rear of traction. Didn't use the clutch unless something went wrong.

I've been having a play on the TRX, as it's got plastic tyres. Found that I can get a nice little slide going from second to first, but haven't tried to push it to much - just on the way to work etc.

dransy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

just do what you do on a push bike
go as fast as you can and then slam on the back brake Laughing Laughing

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:28 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Backing it in... Reply with quote

G wrote:
I got rather horrified posts when I mentioned I went down to first to initiate a slide.
I was told usually one gear down is fine - though my dr600 did seem to need to go to first, but we're talking a bike getting on for twenty years old here, not making a massive amount of power.

And I think I started going into the slide at 40mph or so - it helps to be braking with the front at the time to help relieve the rear of traction. Didn't use the clutch unless something went wrong.

I've been having a play on the TRX, as it's got plastic tyres. Found that I can get a nice little slide going from second to first, but haven't tried to push it to much - just on the way to work etc.

Backing it in requires use of clutch and heavy front brake as well as lean.. you prob just skidding it sideways a bit when knocking down to first.. ?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:39 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Backing it in... Reply with quote

Quote:
Backing it in requires use of clutch and heavy front brake as well as lean.. you prob just skidding it sideways a bit when knocking down to first.. ?

You mean on the TRX or the DR?

And at what point does 'skidding it sideways a bit' become 'backing it in'?

Remember my DR engine wasn't exactly a masively tuned fire breather. So probably didn't need so much clutch control as something with a few more horses.

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:46 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most likely cause of losing the back end isn't because the tyre is going slower than the tarmac it's because it's going faster. Too much throttle in too low a gear will cause the back to loose grip and step out. Happened to me a few times and is usually controllable unless your right over at the time.
The brownies you see Rossi laying down are spectacular to watch but not giving much advantage because the tyre is losing grip under acceleration.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 18:52 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Re: Backing it in... Reply with quote

G wrote:
And at what point does 'skidding it sideways a bit' become 'backing it in'?

Have a go at backing it in with some supermoto riders on a track and you will soon see the difference between backing it in and skidding the back out a bit..

Mate of mine does it like it's an easy thing to do, the bastid.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:53 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

He asked about 'backing it in'; this technique refers to the rear wheel going to slowly, and intentionaly so.

It would not be desiarble to have the rear wheel going to fast going into a turn - going to slowly the wheel speed will 'catch up' with the road speed, at which point you have grip again.

It can be beneficial to have the rear sliding coming out of corners as well (presuming you're rossi or someone else stupidly talented). They let the bike turn faster and thus the bike can 'sit up' quicker, this means that full power can be got onto the tarmac sooner.

RascalsCustar...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:33 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the final round of the british supermoto champs last yr at lydd. Jeses, those guys are talented. Wheelies?! Pft, you can keep em...learning to back it in is a true skill. (goes off to give worship to the small rossi shrine in the corner)

ohdannyboy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:16 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch guys, Thumbs Up

I think i might have to book myself in with a day at the Yamaha supermoto school. Il post another thread with some pics once I become a master of the rear end. (Take that last bit how you wish)

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:02 - 27 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont want to sound like im bragging here,but i think it depends on what bike you ride. a gs125 has vicious engine braking in 1st gear. braking and leaning over and shifting down to 1st at the traffic lights gets the rear wheel sideways by about 6inches and chattering like mad as it tries to stop itself.
in the wet however..... Twisted Evil
on some slippery pieces of tarmac, it lets go and immediately locks up.i have scared myself sometimes when i have leant it over and it steps out quite far,but when it regularly happens,it feels quite good! Very Happy Cool Thumbs Up
so my way of backing in is to use a 125 with no wieght on the rear tyre....
big bikes i have no clue about Laughing

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 00:01 - 28 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

8316 wrote:
i dont want to sound like im bragging here,but i think it depends on what bike you ride. a gs125 has vicious engine braking in 1st gear. braking and leaning over and shifting down to 1st at the traffic lights gets the rear wheel sideways by about 6inches and chattering like mad as it tries to stop itself.
in the wet however..... Twisted Evil
on some slippery pieces of tarmac, it lets go and immediately locks up.i have scared myself sometimes when i have leant it over and it steps out quite far,but when it regularly happens,it feels quite good! Very Happy Cool Thumbs Up
so my way of backing in is to use a 125 with no wieght on the rear tyre....
big bikes i have no clue about Laughing

thats the rear tyre mate... not the bike
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1