Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Luggage advice for touring

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:49)
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 31 Jul 2005    Post subject: Luggage advice for touring Reply with quote

Okay, not a new topic but I used the search function and couldn't find the specific advice I want. There have been plenty of reports of summer touring on the forum lately so i'm expecting sound practical guidance. Plus there is mr Stinkwheel and his ever prolific luggage carrying escapades.

My trip:
Arrow Distance
I'm heading down to Spain so there will be plenty of miles. Will be exploring the country once i'm there.

Arrow Time
I'm looking to be out there for a minimum of two weeks, and up to a month if funds allow. Therefore I need a practical setup that will not piss me off and stop me enjoying the riding.

Arrow Capacity
I'm not doing any camping, and it's also (hopefully) a hot climate so I wont be taking loads of clothes. However due to the latter will almost deffinately want the option of stashing my leathers on the back of the bike, and they are pretty bulky(jacket is huuuge).

Arrow Riding
My bike is hardly quick so will not be riding over 90mph. I'm also hardly Rossi in the twisties either, so stability and how the luggage affect handling shouldn't be problems.

Hard luggage is out of the question due to cost, and also the fact that i'm unlikely to be taking this bike touring again properly.

Soft luggage is what I'd always had in the back of my head since I first thought up this trip. Saddlebags/paniers would probably provide all the capacity I need, and i'd be able to strap my leathers to the pillion seat or a rack if I fitted one. However I can't see this being very practical for when I need to leave the bike, which I will undoubtedly be doing often.

Now here is my current idea, but i'm not sure whether it's practical. Fit a rack to the bike and buy a decent backpack, maybe an army bergen, then strap it to the rack/pillion seat. Should provide all the storage I need for clothes, plus they'd be room to strap other stuff to the back like leathers, or another bag. Leaving the bike wouldn't be a problem because everything would be in the backpack. Can anyone tell me if this is going to work, or whether it will be hard to securely attach the backpack to the bike, or whether it would make the bike feel unbalanced.

Finally, I have a sports tankbag. It's not large, but it's not too obtrusive and can carry your lunch and any other day stuff(camera etc). However i'm wondering whether I would regret taking it with if I do not need the capacity. My bike has a small range(100miles) so there'd be plenty of fuel stops, and it'd also be something extra to carry when leaving the bike. Has anyone any views on touring and tankbags? Useful for stashing things that need to be easily accessed, or just a nuiscance and discomfort?

Cheers.

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 31 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankbag is a definete. Im looking for one for my bike at the mo.

Its amazing the ammout of stuff you will find to put in there. Don't forget if you have soft luggage fitted it will prob mean you can't get under the seat without removing everything.

I had a weekend away recently and I had the tankbag stuffed full. visor spay, wipes, drinking water, disc lock, earplugs, fruit, vasaline, toolkit, maps/directions, camera, walkman etc etc
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:49 - 31 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use suitcase locks to keep people from opening the bags.

Unless your worried about people cutting the straps.

Mantzy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 02:58 - 31 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, hving used my tailpack on the way to london today and my tankbag last weekend i'd say my tailpack is by far the more rider friendly option. strap it on and forget about it basically. while on the ride down it started raining so i got out my waterproofs. Too late however and within 5 minutes the rain had stopped and i was wet anyway. i put them awya but not back in the bag but under the waterproof cover. i then put my bungee net over the bag and held the cover on securely. was an excellent idea. With a tankbag you tend to have to sit up more and this = sore neck. Rode the whole 100 miles ducked under the screen and was fine by the time i got here.

Go for panniers too. Even better, go on ebay and get the Oxford first time stuff, the whole set for 80 pounds plus p&p. good deal

But main things you'll need will be bungees, cargo nets and an mp3 player to keep you awake. also might be a good idea getting some heated grips. I use mine not to keep my hands hot but more to give my hands something to do. Oh, and a chain luber - scottoilers are best and not too difficult to fix

On the leathers front, if you're going fast, no matter the heat, wear them. Even if you undo them, still something is better than nothing i say

R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 04:32 - 31 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

an idea if going to spain is, get the ferry down there and ride back.

someone else posted having done this and it sounded good to me

ebay is good for luggage

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 09:30 - 31 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our little jaunt up north, my panniers proved faster to fit and remove than mark's rucksack-and-bungies method. They're also reasonably secure, in that folk can't just unbungie them and wander off, they'd have to either go through them to get stuff or cut the straps (as they can't take them off without removing the seat).

I'm also not hugely keen on using a tailpack by itself, heard too many stories of them falling off sideways and catching the chain or back wheel. But if you've got the panniers on, there's no way that can happen, so you can load some reasonable weight into the tailpack.

I liked the tankbag, I kept my valuables in it so that I could take it with me at petrol stations and food stops. Also rather handy for containing maps and suchlike.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 31 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still tempted by the rucksack method... I'm thinking about taking an army duffel bag to stash my leathers in, which would also be useful if I end up coming back with more than I left with. Would perhaps be the best place to stick my tools in as well.

The cost of hard luggage is too prohibitive... I will still keep soft paniers/saddlebags in mind, but unless someone comes up with a good argument against the rucksack method i'm feeling pretty settled on that idea.

With reguards to tankbags: I agree that they are useful, but when you list the things you might keep in it you find that there's no reason why this stuff shouldn't go in a seperate bag strapped to the back of the bike... The map holder bit is useful, but on my tankbag the bag bit can be removed leaving you with only a magnetic map reader. Valuables go in my pockets. Can't see any logical advantages a tankbag really has if I'm bungeeing stuff to the back anyway...

zaknafien

PostPosted: 14:49 - 31 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panniers and tail pack have done me fine so far. The backpack idea just seems like more hassle.

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 31 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very few ways of "securely" storing your leathers or lid while leaving them with the bike, I ended just settling up for wearing over a shoulder or alternatively if in a town leaving them in a luggage locker at a station. For panniers, look for a set of throw-overs. Packs sit either side of the bike with a thick strap running over the seat. On a half decent set the strap has a handle built in, so they can be carried like a suitcase. For a single person on their own this should be more than ample for a couple of weeks Wink

As an aside, look out for a cheap topbox, if you can find one big enough for a full face helmet then that means at least you can leave your lid on the bike while wandering around. Throwovers, topbox and tankbag are enough for two people with a PS2 and assorted food/gear/utterly nonessential crap for a few days away in a caravan, so you should certainly have more than enough space for a jaunt around Europe. Good luck, and enjoy Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:48 - 31 Jul 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definate on the duffel bag, you can get a huge amount of crap in one of them and attach it to your rack with one bungee.

I would go for throwovers myself rather than a bergen. I used to take a bergen on my bike and it was a pain in the backside, straps flapping all over the place, takes up a lot of space on the seat too. Throwover panniers keep all the weight down low, a lot more stable if you have some weight in them.

Tankbag is also handy, I tend to keep anything I need to hand in it, which includes stuff like passport, wallet, mobile phone etc. You can then carry it away with you if you have to leave the bike.

If you are paranoid about your lid/leathers being pinched, you could get one of those curly cable bicycle locks. Run it up a sleeve of your jacket, through the chinpiece of your helmet then lock it to the bike. If you are being extra paranoid, you can put the padlock on the 'tag' of your duffel bag too.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 11:17 - 01 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with above posts on duffel/roll bag and throwovers. The roll bags used by cavers/canoeists are good as guaranteed waterproof. Also tank bag useful as are the ideas for securing your kit to the bike (assuming it's not raining).

However, for your kit you might think about investing in one of the day sacks that have expansion for your helmet. Leave the bag bungied to the bike for riding. Then you can take it off and carry your kit from the bike (or even lock the whole bag to it). If you're locking kit to the bike also think about one of those wire mesh locks that wrap around bags and prevent any straps being cut (pacsafe I think is a brand, see tourist/camping shops like the outdoor shop or interhike).
https://www.theoutdoorshop.com/Outdoor/images/Product/Medium/pac_safe.jpg

If you're into sports riding I'd avoid a topbox as they can affect handling.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 01 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bag-security looks good, but very pricey, and this trip is being done to a budget.

I think getting a rack for my bike would be very expensive unless one was to come up on eBay, so that might be out the question. This shouldn't be a major problem as the army duffel/kit bag should go on the pillion seat without too much fuss, but now I'm wondering about my security chain. Will soft throwover paniers be okay with its weight? Can balance it out by sticking my tools in the other side. It's not massive, but pretty decent all the same. The alternative would be to strap it to the pillion seat, which is not the easiest task in the world.

I'm still not sure on the tankbag though. If i'm out there for a month I suspect it will really start to piss me off compared to a small backpack which i'd bungee down or wear. As said, I would probably take magnetic map holder part, which would probably also be able to take a few thin things if necessary(passport, phone, wallet once I start getting skint Smile).

Am not bothered about a bike-backpack with net for a helmet, since I could either chain it with the bike, or use the helmet holder(my helmet is not very nickable).

Anyone recommend any paticular brand of throw-over paniers then? Think I may try eBay for further economy.

Collier
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:43 - 01 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used oxford sport panniers and a large rucksack for any camping/touring I've done, always worked well, only been as far as IofM though Embarassed

Paul

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:30 - 02 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, My oxford sport ones are pretty robust, definatley cope with a big f-off chain in the bottom (and a selection of tools) and hold more than you would think.

Don't have them expanded when you leave. You'll never pack them that neatly again for the rest of the trip. Leaves you the option of loading them up in a shoddy and haphazard manner as well as leaving space for all the crap you pick up en route.

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 02 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think tank bags are a must for any type of journey where you're not 100% familiar with the area that you're tavelling in - Just the ability to put a map of the area in the clear insert on the top so at least have an idea of your whereabouts is worth it.

Before I bought a tank bag I lost count of the amount of times where I've lost the post it note on the tank showing me where i was supposed to be going Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1