Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Three 400's, 6 Countries....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 19:00)
View previous topic : View next topic  

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:47 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading this especially as I met you all at Hex's party, and I recently did a big trip for me to aberystwth (4 hours there and 3 hours back).

How many miles or kms were you doing a day ? How many hours a day were you riding ?

Did you ever wish you were on tourers like a deauville rather than sports 400s ? I guess a tourer wdnt have been so much fun around the nurburgring Smile

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice read.... Thumbs Up

somthing iv always wonnered how did you know if you were going to make it to the next petrol station or not. becouse in some of thows place's it didnt look like there would be a farm with in a 100miles never mind a petrol station. Thumbs Up

Marc_Buck
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:06 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesom, can imagine the ferrari part, had the same happen with an m3, theyre just above my league after about 60-70mph Laughing

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:39 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
How many miles or kms were you doing a day ? How many hours a day were you riding ?Did you ever wish you were on tourers like a deauville rather than sports 400s ?

The most we did in a day was around 400 miles, with the average on riding days being something around 300 miles. Some days were a real slog, I can remember doing a couple 8/9 hour riding days in France. On the motorways it can get a pain, but once you're on the twisties and you're moving around on the bike the aches soon get forgotten.

Not sure I'd want to take a Deauville on these roads, maybe something sensible like an R6 Razz

riichy wrote:
somthing iv always wonnered how did you know if you were going to make it to the next petrol station or not.

Yeah that was a major concern in the Alps, especially with Claud's bike typically hitting reserve at 90 miles. One of the reasons we got a hotel that night, we were half expecting he'd have to freewheel a 4000ft descent to the nearest big town Laughing. We need not have worried too much though, in Italy there's lots of automated petrol stations dotted around that are open 24 hours.

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top Stuff - Great Thread Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:40 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some of those roads mysel next year.
Good effort Thumbs Up

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way or another, I too will be out there next year. Cool

Good read. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent stuff. I'd like to get it sorted and do something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tony532
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

good read Thumbs Up

jamie192
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:10 - 07 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it was brilliant, hope to do it one day. Mike you stacked the zxr you fool! Hope there is no damage!

pete-dotphp
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:33 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant stuff, gotta get me my divvy and get out there :up:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask you, how long did this whole trip take and how much money did it cost each of you?

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:44 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

he has already said how long it took and how much it cost

maurice wrote:
gavking wrote:
How long did the whole trip take? How much did you spend? You know if you just have the sports panniers could a pillion still fit on?

We left Claud's house in North London early on the 20th July, and got a ferry back on the 5th August. We actually mis-calculated ending up dossing the last couple days and arriving at Calais 36 hours before our ferry was due to leave.

According to Oxford's literature you are supposed to be able to take a pillion with the sports humpback panniers, though I've not tried it out. If you did I'd imagine you'd need some padding to go on top of the pillion seat as the luggage straps that fit over the top would soon get uncomfortable.

I'm not yet sure exactly how much I've spent Laughing, though I think something in the region of £900 - 1000 including a brand new set of tyres, oil change, travel insurance etc etc. We also ate out quite a lot, you could do it a little cheaper by camping more, but the food was too good and cheap to miss out on, especially in Italy Very Happy.

Dynamight wrote:
What phone and program did you use for the GPS?

It was a Motorolla A1000 pda-style phone I got hold of a couple days before the trip. It uses the Symbian UIQ operating system and has an internal GPS, I was using the freeware 'MapView GPS 2' program. The GPS eats batteries so was used as a back-up to a map if we got lost or wasn't sure which road we were on.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a really good time, glad you enjoyed it.

Couple of comments!

1 - You look so much better with your new haircut Maurice! Thumbs Up

2 - Why does Mike always look so tall in photos? I'm sure he hasn't been on the occasions I've met him. Or maybe he was veering towards the horizontal then? Razz

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

really awesome trip Thumbs Up

If I knew you were coming down near Cannes (I'm in antibes) I would of told you to look me up! Smile

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 15:01 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

top read Thumbs Up nice one

lightfoot256
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:06 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kinda power ouput do those 3 bikes have? Recently passed my test - restricted for 2 years - wondering if i should just wait until i lose the 33bph restriction before i try anything like this... Wouldn't mind having a go though... CB500...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 17:00 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lightfoot256 wrote:
What kinda power ouput do those 3 bikes have?

They're all around 60hp, give or take a couple hp. A CB500 would be fine, though I'd imagine a restricted version could be really struggling at high altitude. You could always remove the washers from the carbs when you arrive at Calais Wink

chris___
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:00 - 08 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread mate, really enjoyed reading that Thumbs Up

Nighteyes
Dirty Bint

PostPosted: 23:15 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up Mau, sounds like you had a blast. Thumbs Up

Razz

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb story Maurice. Me feels envious now. I'm interested i how much was spent in total for the whole trip. It's always been an ambition of mine to do Europe by bike. I was wondering why Claud hasn't made a post for a while!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 01:40 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

£932 for my self, not including tyres. Slightly over what I budgeted for but we did eat out EVERY night for 17 nights and sometimes lunch on occasion Embarassed ! The food over there was so good it was impossible not too Wink

ratcliffe
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:37 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good entertaining read, it sounds like lots of fun was had by all Thumbs Up

Vespa
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:47 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Vespa on 14:25 - 01 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total

Keith
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant write up. Some really good pictures as well.

Nice one, chaps. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3