Top Gear talk of possible new bike noise laws

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 09:52 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gti wrote:

Fucking unbelievable how everyones taking it so seriously, take it for it is, a wind-up for uptight moaning twats.

Agreed.

Every time Clarkson says something vaguely anti-bike, loads of you are all "oooh I hate him, lets write to the BBC".

Has it occurred to you that he's just yanking your chain, yanking the chain of Hammond and May who we all know are both bikers, generally just being 'Clarkson'?

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:06 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^
Yeah that. How can you take any of this old bollox seriously. FFS a Ferrari's tyres make more noise than 75DB at 30 MPH! Laughing

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzz wrote:
I thought it was funny that Clarkson was just talking about how loud the Aston Martin V8 Vantage was - "You can hear it for two miles," and then goes on to say he doesn't want noisy bikers around. Hipocrite Mad

Yes and he was quite rude about it too. Saying he would love the opportunity to shoot a motorcyclist in the face...nice man huh?
Well it has sparked off a reaction on other forums and peeps are rallying around and writing off complaints to all the various tv departments....seeing if they can get a public apology from JC.

Well it would be nice to see if it worked.....!

Last edited by Clanger on 11:13 - 09 Aug 2005; edited 1 time in total

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

But doesn't it make the show more interesting? What I like about Top Gear over similar shows like 5th Gear is all the bickering that goes on between the presenters - the cool/uncool board is another example. Makes me chuckle Thumbs Up

Jamie_ducati
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:19 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

There is no way that the UK can get away with lowering noise limits itself. They are part of EU homologation rules.

However they can quite happily confiscate the bikes. Far easier to hit a rider with an ASBO and confiscate a bike than it is to go out after dark and catch a bike thief.

All the best

Keith

trouble is that it is the european parliament who are trying to bring this in....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:19 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit he does make me laugh. I don't really take what he says too much to heart, after all we always slack off car drivers Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever a tv show is made there can be as many as 30 people in the background out of the camera's field of view - directors, lighting experts, make-up team, electricians, health and safety and not forgetting the people holding the camera's themselves. That we only get the impression it is just Clarkson, 1 camera and a car is a testament to how well they all do their jobs!!

BUT Chance's are many are good friends of clarkson and some may even be bikers themselves. possibly even turned up on location in their biking gear.... Clarkson being Clarkson could just have been having some fun winding them up!!

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 11:25 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

well how about this.

My bike is as standard.

It is an origional 1983 Honda XLs125. The only aftermarket part is the from mudguard.

Now my bike is clearly louder than 87db because its louder than my dads CBR with an Art can on it.

So how does that work then? Confused
How can they confiscate it if my bike is all origional. Its a bit like giving a seatbelt ticket to somebody who owns a 1976 VW Beetle with no seatbelts built into it.

<|Ben|>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 11:31 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone would receive an apology from Clarkson, if he did choose to reply, I suspect it would simply be another of his savagely witty put-downs.

I think he's funny.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:43 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie_ducati wrote:
trouble is that it is the european parliament who are trying to bring this in....

Any source for that, as every report I have seen / heard has been about some UK Lord trying to get the limit reduced.

binge wrote:
How can they confiscate it if my bike is all origional. Its a bit like giving a seatbelt ticket to somebody who owns a 1976 VW Beetle with no seatbelts built into it.

Quite happily if it is being used in a manner as "causing, or is likely to cause, alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public". Doesn't matter how quiet it is. They could probably get you for it if you used a dog whistle for a horn and annoyed all the local dogs without anyone being able to hear it.

And although (fortunatly) nobody ha suggested it, there are example of new vehicle standard being applied retrospectively (rear view mirrors on cars).

And a 1976 Beetle must have seat belts (any car registered since 31 December 1964).

All the best

Keith

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:09 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:

Well it has sparked off a reaction on other forums and peeps are rallying around and writing off complaints to all the various tv departments....seeing if they can get a public apology from JC.

Thus painting bikers as humourless gits who can't take a joke. Go team. Rolling Eyes

Gti
Bendy Groupie

PostPosted: 12:31 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly bendy. Do me a favor clanger and put my post on those boards please or tell me which ones they are.

Nolongerhere
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:20 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your on a bike police have to catch you 1st Wink

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't cars built after 2003 already comply with the 75db noise limit?

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 16:35 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think also that a lot of 2 strokes must be over 75db, my RS says 87db on the frame but i didnt think i was this loud although it is well loud, so if i was stopped most police that test it would say i have done somthing to it or said it was a aftermarket or just generally talk out there arse and get it taken away!

im sure this sort of thing would happen with 2 strokes/older bikes that are standard be taken by the law Tut Tut

i also think that due to motorbikes easing conjestion they should try and give every incintive they can for poeple to have bikes not try to piss bikers off!

Nolongerhere
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:22 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy13_uk wrote:
i think also that a lot of 2 strokes must be over 75db, my RS says 87db on the frame but i didnt think i was this loud although it is well loud, so if i was stopped most police that test it would say i have done somthing to it or said it was a aftermarket or just generally talk out there arse and get it taken away!

im sure this sort of thing would happen with 2 strokes/older bikes that are standard be taken by the law Tut Tut

i also think that due to motorbikes easing conjestion they should try and give every incintive they can for poeple to have bikes not try to piss bikers off!

2 strokes coke up the exhuats and then become straight through pipe u need to soak the inside with cistic soda and will will go quieter!!!

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project9928 wrote:
I think this will just end up like the use of mobile phones while driving, the police will be all over every bike with a loud exhaust for about a month and then just loose intrest.

Shame I wish they would sort out all the boy racers with there big subs and booming exhausts, its all I hear out side my house.

What more can I say? I live next to a set of lights (Pole position).

I think the all police may not be in possession of the necessary measuring device to determine emission.
So unless they are aware of manufacture's specs and know a Micron from Micra. They wouldn't risk a bad call and losing in a court action.
But it's the 'pull' you and any of your mates don't need and the producer/s that follow.
They can do that between doughnuts and coffee breaks easy.

As the 'number plate' thing and the 'speeding' thing and the 'kneedoon' thing.
Don't get caught. That's part of the game too!
Don't rip through town. It can grate just as much as a Lowered Corsa.

Nolongerhere
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:04 - 09 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a loud exhuats and loud sound system in my car!!! Doesnt make me a boy race!!! A boy racer is someone who does up a car not worth working on in the 1st place and thinks they are cool! LOud exhausts on cars are no different to those on bikes!!!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 236 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3