Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clarkson and Biker Comments (again)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

keti
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this rate someone's gonna have to start a petition to petition the original petition Razz

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are overlooking one fact. Had it been a comment about blacks, asians, gays etc then he would of been out instantly for inciting racial or homophobic violience or some such charge. Fair enough he is funny and most of his views are resonable but saying to put cheeswire across roads to decapitate bikers and that he wants to shoot us in the face. Could you really see him getting away with that about any other group of people. Also the quote about slagging off vauxhaull did he say he wanted to kill then.

Im not saying im outraged but he does have a responsibility to act in a reasonable manner since the show goes out at 8pm. Where do we draw the line on his comments. At what point does it cross over from just a bit of banter to something more serious. He's a loud mouthed hypocrite really. He loves his loud car engines and yet whinges and whines about how he gets bikers coming along past his house at weekends. If he doesnt like it why not move somewhere more quiet. Its not like he's short of money, especially after selling out to BT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:35 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't choose to be black, asian or gay. We choose to be bikers so I don't believe it's a fair comparison.

keti
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, well made!

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point but why should we have to put up with it. Just because we choose to ride bikes does that mean we are fair game to insults and abuse. Maybe some of you see it as a joke but what about the small percentage of people who listen to him. A large proportion of people think Clarkson had a part to play in Rover folding. He has a hell of a lot of influence and if only 1 person acts upon the cheeswire idea then surely thats 1 person too many.

What would you say if he decides all car drivers should sit right up against the middle of the lane in traffic so bikers cant filter. Or if he says they should open their doors when the see a bike filtering. Would it still be a joke just to wind up his co presenters. As i origianlly said, personally i didnt take offence but i can see why a lot of people did. Can you imagine his reaction if the government tried to ban fast sports cars or put a decible limit on Ferraris and Aston Martins. He'd be ranting and raving about how unfair it is and how the guardianistas are trying to take over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone listened closely to some of Ainsleys comments during Ready Steady Cook?

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the guy is quite funny. He acctually slags folk off on the show, just because he can! And you've got to remember, the show isnt live on tv, so the show is scrutinised by producers etc. before it gets aired. Don't you think that if they watched the show and found something offensive they would just edit it out. Like everything else its just a joke, take it in your stride, the man probably doesnt mean anything by it, just wants more of a reaction from his audience.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:13 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashley_46 wrote:
Just because we choose to ride bikes does that mean we are fair game to insults and abuse.

Bikers seem to slag off pretty much everyone else on the road with stunning regularity. I fail to see the difference.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:19 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally... a lot of people seem to take issue with Clarkson slagging off bikes cos he doesn't ride one.

How many of you slag off cars and don't drive?

gavking
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:21 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a car driver focused show. He makes banter about anything that isn't a fast car costing loads. It's no different to a load of the people on here whittleing on about "F**king 'cagers'". It's a rivalry of different groups of people forced to use the same space and want to do things in a different way.

Grow the fuck up or just don't watch the show Rolling Eyes

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
Incidentally... a lot of people seem to take issue with Clarkson slagging off bikes cos he doesn't ride one.

How many of you slag off cars and don't drive?

I can drive as well (no car though), passed my car test just after my 17th and my bike test a few months later.

When bikers slag off cars, its usally about how you can't park them as easily, how they're slower and you can't filter, and about how the drivers are less alert and therefore a danger to bikers. These are facts. When clarkson makes jokes about leather fetishes, power rangers and accused all bikers of being homosexual, its not really the same thing.

Besides, if people don't ride cars here its because they don't want to, would prefer their bike or maybe can't afford to run a car as well.... clarkson doesn't have a bike because he's a pussy. He slides around in performance cars on empty air fields thinking he's the human embodiment of testosterone, when in reality anyone can do that. He wouldn't dare swing his leg over a bike and ride to the shops though.

By the way, I enjoy top gear, I think clarksons funny and can take his comments light heartedly, but I can still think he's a hypocritical pussy at the same time.

Last edited by Keen on 14:33 - 10 Aug 2005; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Collier
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:32 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
How come his biker co-presenters/friends can laugh at it, but biker tv viewers can't?

My brother and I (both bikers) both laughed at that comment. /Shrugs.

I think he's funny, I like him. Thumbs Up

Agreed!

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:34 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarkson is just a wind up...you just need to keep it in context....he rant's about stuff he doesn't like

I have a bike and a Diesel car so he would potentially offend me all the time but I think he is funny....I'm sure if you met him off camera it would be different, he would probably admit to being scared of bikes or something.....god knows what he has against diesel cars though!

I think you should have an appreciation of all things engineering based, I love my bikes and cars, I also have an interest in trucks, trains and aircraft (although I dont own any of the last 3)

Last edited by spitfire on 18:14 - 11 Aug 2005; edited 1 time in total

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:36 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
Besides, if people don't ride cars here its because they don't want to

Oh, but if Clarkson doesn't want to ride a bike, that's not okay?

I've seen cars and car drivers slagged off for plenty things that aren't facts. Bikers talk complete shit about cars a lot of the time and make plenty sweeping generalisations. If you give it, you should be prepared to take it, in my opinion.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:41 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just club together, buy one of those Astons and spend a few days driving past his house at high revs.

We can even wear leathers doing it.

Once we have finished with it I volunteer to dispose of the used Aston.

It might persuade him to concentrate on those truely deserving of ridicule, caravan owners.

All the best

Keith

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy- no its fine, I'll let him off Razz but he shouldn't mock it just because he's afraid to do it himself.

If he has real reasons for disliking bikes or bikers and he expressed them then fine... but instead he just makes meaningless derogitory comments. That just shows that his dislike isnt justified, its just born out of resentment and self-loathing cos deep down he knows he's a big lanky nancy boy Smile

Blink
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:51 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sack him because of that comment?

Losers, Clarkson may be a stupid, lanky balding tosser but he is still quite amusing. Who gives a shite, they will NEVER sack him because of a homo online petition.

Had to be said.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:

There are certain people in the world who could potentially take a lead from such comments and do exactly as Mr Clarkson suggests.

Haha Laughing that sounds like something 'christian mothers against violent video games' would come out with. I remember reading a news article about this actualy happening on the BBC, I believe that was before Clarksons comment so he most probably got the idea from there.

This is how clarkson has always been, I find it amusing because what he does is offend as many groups as possible, Honda owners hate him because he portrays them as grandad cars. American car owners dislike him because he slates every single one of their cars. There is never any real malice in what he sais and I never take his comments personaly if they are 'aimed' at me.

Hey perhaps you lot should club together with transport2000 and get Clarkson sacked Rolling Eyes

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:20 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen wrote:
Bendy- no its fine, I'll let him off Razz but he shouldn't mock it just because he's afraid to do it himself.

He has ridden bikes himself. On camera.

And he slags everyone and everything off. He slags off Alfa Romeos but has owned a few. He slags off American cars, yet used a Dodge Viper for his wedding.

All the best

Keith

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
He has ridden bikes himself. On camera.

really?

what/when/where?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:29 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think it was a Ducati Monster around Monaco about 5~10 years ago.

All the best

Keith

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducatti monster

Monaco(iirc)

5-10 years ago doing a feature in Monaco

Damn beat me to it Razz

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also wobbled around some FarEastern cities on a small scooter in one episode of his own show IIRC.

mattfuzzy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:43 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:

If you take offence with what he said then you're stupid. Lighten up for christ's sake.

Car drivers would take it in their stride and laugh along, but because we're "bikers" we all have to unite and get all protective over our special bikes.

Stop taking it seriously - he's paid partly to make people laugh, it works.

Grow up and lighten up.

lighten up? mabe you would lik ea gun up your ass to change your mind?

car drivers would, most are a bunch of ******* that hate bikers with a passion, iv only been on 2 wheels for less than 7 months and iv already noticed that.

yeah hes paid to make people laugh... it works... but saying your going to shoot someone who rides a bike in the face is like me saying IM GOING TO KILL ALL BLACK PEOPLE.

me may not do it but there are plenty of people in this screwed up world that would gladly do what he says on tv, and whats that about him saying people should tie wire across roads to decapitate bikers?

mabe i should go on tv and say im going to plant c4 on random cars around the uk "because i feel like it" somehow i think it will have a different reaction and probably result in terrorism charges

BBC should sack his ass or atleast make him apologise on national tv Twisted Evil

END OF

Andy99
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:55 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find most of what he says against bikes quite funny at at the end of the day it's just an act.
However there are alot of idiots out there who will hear him feel the same and do it.Does anyone remember the lads that were caught spreading oil on the cat and fiddle a few years back or how about the person who put some kind of cord between two trees on a green lane to stop bikers using it.

By all means let clarkson witter on insulting us on our clothing and choise of transport or insinuating were all homosexuals,i'm not bothered and find it quite amusing but the BBC should act now he's wanting to kill people.

Just call me General Crazypaws.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 256 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5