Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Power Wheelie Problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Power Wheelie Problems Reply with quote

I try and do a power wheelie in first by flooring it, nothing then floor again very quickly. The bike backfires twice and lurches forward until it gets back in to its stride. The more I've done it the worse it's got I think or it might be I'm just trying to get higher.

Also there is a very strange click click sound coming from the front wheel, I thought it might be the speedo cable so took that off but it's still there.

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:41 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Re: Power Wheelie Problems Reply with quote

You could be flooding it maybe? Try going along at a constant revs, then dip the throttle than snap it open a bit - you don't need to go to full throttle, but do need to be quick.

What bike is it?
My TRX had it's speedo drive go (metalic crunching sound), which solved with a new speedo drive, but not by removing the cable.

Check the wheel bearings as well.

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah prehaps, I will try tomorrow. Did feel a bit excessive 10%-0%-100%

It's a TRX, I thought it might be something speedo because when I'm going at 60 it bounces between 40-60. Also had to replace the speedo washer because the bits where shorn off. The speedo drive is the bit on the wheel? Anyway of checking if it's shot.

On the subject of wheels when replacing the speedo washer I mangled the spring in the seal, would that be a problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:09 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to replace the washer.

You should be able to poke a screw driver into the drive and turn it freely. If you can't, replace. The drive is the spacer that sits between the fork and the wheel.

I'd get that washer out soonish before it eats it again, as well.

I doubt it's the spring on the seal.

I haven't really tried power wheelies on my TRX, but get the impression it won't be very good at them.

I'd clutch up, starting at about 4k, rev a bit and dump clutch. Not really sure on the rpm, just do what works for me.
See the alternative Ace Cafe video for some relatively poor attempts by me Smile (wasn't much room however).

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 01 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, will check all that tomoz Thumbs Up .

I was suprised that the front even came up when I tried.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:44 - 02 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried some power wheelies on the TRX today. At about 5k I could dip and pull the power on, it would come up a little bit, but not massively.

However, my usual technique which I tried to analyse a bit as I was doing it is - around 4k, clutch in rev a bit and dump the clutch. I tried holding the revs steady as I dumped the clutch, but this way it seemed I needed quite high revs (7 or 8k) to get it to come up 'decently'. The way I am doing it is to rev and dump the clutch at the same time, not sure what revs the engine's at as the clutch drops, but the TRX with standard gearing isn't too violent, so providing you're not too stupid you should be ok.

That's good enough to get me to the next speed bump at just below the balance point on the road going to my work Wink.

I never really think about revs etc when I'm normally doing them - you get a 'feel' for them to some degree.

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 02 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Thumbs Up
Yeah I tried it without clutch and couldn't get it anywhere near the balance point.

Only tried clutch a few times but no luck.
Reved the nuts off it and dropped the clutch but it just skipped a bit. Maybe I need to drop it quicker.
Also did it once and it made a nasty clutch crunching sound.
After that I thought I'd just enjoy the nice weather.

Was the speedo drive in the end as well.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:39 - 02 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DukeRed wrote:

Also did it once and it made a nasty clutch crunching sound.

Interesting, mine does that if I slip the clutch a lot.

If the back wheel's skipping, try putting your weight back a bit. But I've got pretty shitty tyres and haven't had any problems.

You definitely have to be very quick dropping the clutch. We're talking in, then out as if you finger had just disapeared. It can help to practice letting go quickly when at a stand still (engine in neutral or not running Smile ) you want to kinda 'ping' it out.
As I said, I do this while pulling the throttle on as one motion.

DukeRed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 02 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think because I was a bit nervous so prehaps I slipped instead of dropped.

Apparently the hideous noise when slipping is a common TRX thing.
https://ike849.tripod.com/
I think I'll just live with it.

TOM M
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 02 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a zxr400 power wheelie fairly easily?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:03 - 03 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I doubt it would at all.

Need clutch and a lot more precision on our TRXs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1