Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

driving out the corner - tip?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 22:49 - 02 Sep 2005    Post subject: driving out the corner - tip? Reply with quote

just been watching the on board bike vid from silverstone and it seems to show that my exit out of corner is pretty crap, i.e i am hesitent to put the power fully on. ok i was following a R1, but on the day i was worried that i would put in the power too quickly and i would loose the back end! in fact i was more confident braking and leaning the bike over in the corner than i was driving it out. anyone got any tips about how to get more confident about it, apart from more practice. is putting the power down quickly something that i should actually be that worried about?
Cheers
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 02 Sep 2005    Post subject: Re: driving out the corner - tip? Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
is putting the power down quickly something that i should actually be that worried about?

If you want to perfect a nice highside, I'm your man! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:49 - 02 Sep 2005    Post subject: Re: driving out the corner - tip? Reply with quote

Getting on the power early can make a big difference, I have often kept up with or got past bigger bikes on straights thanks to getting on the power a lot earlier.

There's two main transitions in my riding at least.
There's the point that I start getting on the power slowly and the point I crack it open.

The point I open the throttle fully is where I'm sure the bike's upright enough to grip with any extra power the bike can chuck out.
Obviously this is effected by other things such as the point in the rev range I am and the gear I'm in (snapping the throttle open in 6th or at 8k rpm doesn't have as much effect as at 12k rpm in 2nd gear Smile ).

The other point is where I start to progressively get on the power, this should be as the bike starts to sit up, as you are leaning less, you have more grip available for acceleration, so you can progressively roll on the throttle a bit faster as you stand up.

As you take corners faster you will find that these points change - you are not only putting more cornering stress through the tyres, but the engine will be revving higher, meaning that the power is going to come on quicker.

As with most things on track, the major thing to remember is to get quicker slowly - Bring the points you get on the power back gradually.

This way you may end with a little back wheel slide, but as you're only slightly more on it than last time when it gripped, it's only a little slide.
Once you've found this point, you just need to remember it and accelerate /just/ after it to be on the limit in tha aspect.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 241 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1