Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The Daily Commute?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: The Daily Commute? Reply with quote

Right, Just wondering who here uses their bike to commute to and from work everyday?

What kind of roads do you ride and most importantly how do you carry the things you need to your place of work?

I am only asking, cos since I had the use of a Scooter (Gilera DNA180) I noticed how crap bikes are for the job, since on most bikes there is hardly any storage as standard.
I found the DNA to be very practical indeed with the tank being a massive place to store things, and when I was off of it I could shove my helmet in it instead of carting it into work along with the tail pack I used on the bike.

Now I am back on the CB, I am finding it awful again carrying junk around, and I noticed it more when in Manchester today when I was carting everything around with me!

So much so I am thinking of getting a scoot for the practical things!

So whats your experience?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:05 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a 10 mile commute across country lanes, and a nice long twisty. Cool I have one word for you - bag. I just use a backpack to carry everything I need for 6th form, and take my helmet in with me and put it in my locker.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:06 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

For short journeys, and particularly in built up traffic such as where I am in London, a scooter wins hands down, depending on the scooter.

Advantages:- Cheap, easy to maintain, readily available, good storage, good fuel consumption. Most importatnly it's the ease of use, no making sure to check your in the right gear, no clutch, hassle free. Also very narrow so great for filtering.

Disadvantages:- Useless if you intend to use motorways and perhaps even more open dual carriageways, but still reasonably good (this is assuming is inst a "super scoot"). Also on very potholed roads (in city's) the small wheels make it very unnerving when they go into them, a scooter with larger wheels would suit this better, or indeed a motorbike. With the smaller wheels just be a bit more cautious.

For quick shopping trip my Dad will use my mum's scooter over his GPZ, my GP125 and even the car. Just chuck it in the seat (or the top box), and if necessary there's a small hook, although a bit precarious.

For a short commute the scooter wins hands down IMO. Though make sure it's 100cc+.
____________________
Pictorgraphicalfantastical
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute 48 miles a day (there and back) to work on my RVF. I used to take the bypasses/A roads but made the trip dull, boring and infested with traffic. After about 3 or for weeks, I found an alternative back road route - which wakes both me and the bike up properly (the bike feels so much better for it) and also doesn't take as long due to less traffic.

However, did get a bit treacherous during the winter months, as the roads weren't treated as much. Plus when it rains during the summer, all the mud from local farmland washes into the roads - just got to stay that little bit more aware in order to keep rubber side down.

Great fun though, although the bike does need regular cleaning/servicing/maintaining.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was commuting to college (work now!) on the GPZ, I took my school books in a tankpack (which unzipped into a backpack) and a laptop in my topbox.

When I arrived, I'd stick my helmet into my topbox (along with my textile trousers if I was wearing them) and wear my boots and leather jacket around the place.

I'd be going up a short dually then single-caridgeway A road - filtering most of the way down the single carridgeway bit. Note that I was advised not to use this road when I had the GN125.

Bungie straps seem to work wonders for almost everything. I've carried a gazebo, large boxed roll of cat 5, roll of pre-made patch cables, router and switch all at once on the bike before now. (see pic)

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Liono
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:13 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute into work each day on my bike and don't find it to be too much of a hassle. I can either go straight through the middle of York to the other side if it's raining or I'm in a rush, or if I fancy more of a ride I'll go around the ring road. Carrying stuff isn't really a problem as I have a 35 litre rucksack which I use to lug everything into work with. It can get a bit heavy as I have to take a lot of books around with me, but if this is the case I just loosen the shoulder straps off a little so that the bag sits slightly on my pillion seat. The waist strap on the bag does help with stability if it's full though. I have to wear a shirt and tie to work, so I just leave my shoes there and take a couple of pairs of trousers in on Monday. When I go in I then just have to put on the shirt that I'm wearing that day under my leathers and change into trousers/shoes at work. I used to wear a t shirt in and pack my shirt in my bag but it tended to get quite crumpled and I forgot it on a couple of occasions, meaning I had to spend the day in a borrowed (already worn by someone else) shirt which strangled me when I had the top button done up. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Commute most days. Normally use a Baglux tank bag to carry anything in. Fairly easy. Would be dubious about leaving a lid with the bike.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't commute a LOT on the bike but when I do, I use one of those back packs with a built in laptop section (the only thing I really tend to carry)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use panniers when i need to. I leave my helmet attached to the bike, as there is a hook under the seat. I hook the helmet strap onto this, then lock the seat down on top, and no one can nick the helmet without cutting the strap.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:30 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to Parcel tape a newly purchased Playstation 2 (box, the lot) to my NC30 tank without too much hassle. Though on a daily basis a normal backpack does fine for carrying my lunch/waterproofs. Restricts movement a little though, and I still don't trust my ability to properly use bungees.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny



Joined: 06 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cargo nets cheap and you can strap most things down with one...I normally have 2 under my seat.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chuff
Nova Slayer



Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

was doing 120 miles a day for 6 months Thumbs Up

but 100 of it was motorway Thumbs Down

soon got bored and ended up witha few close encounters of the Police kind.

as expected on a Blackbird, I used the full 3 piece luggage that i have Whistle
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 miles a day to haynes and back in heavy traffic, can get my tool case on the back of most large bikes with plenty of bunges holding it to the pillion seat. the thunderace (YZF1000R) has become a really pain in the arse to commute on mainly due to its size and 80% of the way to work is filtering so never do any more than 40mph so l brough a KH125 to use as a hack/rat bike.
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cc123
Geez a joab?



Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 miles everyday on a Ninja on the Motorway, square tyres very quickly so I use the car. When I do use the bike, its a Knox backpack that can carry loads of stuff, change of clothes, towel for a shower at work and anything else I need including my lunch! Thumbs Up
____________________
Old bikes >>> https://www.bikepics.com/members/cc123/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a 15 mile ride through some tiny back roads on the days I'm not working at home. According to the routeplanner I've just put my route into it should take 50 minutes, but I do it in about 25. Shocked Probably not a good thing considering the advent of the winter means more weird crap on those roads, hell I've already hit a branch at 60 so I think I need to start leaving earlier.

I use a Baglux tankbag which is just about big enough for the necessities, although only just.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Reevo8
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did until I was knocked off, and will continue to after recovery.

18 mile trek. Took me 10mins every day Razz.
____________________
05 ZX10R, (**05 WKR) Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CoronaBoner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my trip to the grind. Mr. Green
____________________
2004 RSV Factory

Cluck cluck chicken
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paracaine
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 50 miles journey each day (both ways). A variety of roads but mainly your standard national speed limit (that'll be 90 then) single carriageway roads. I just have a backpack with my work clothes and a few other bits in.
____________________
Bike: Suzuki Bandit 600, 2002, Blue
Type: Unfaired
Extras: Datatool Alarm & Immobiliser, Airblade Tinted Fly Screen, Motrax Crash Protectors
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:08 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do 30 miles a day through blackwall tunnel on my 600FX all year round. Carry a rucksack!

I'm pretty lucky in that I can wear jeans and a t-shirt (with collar) at work so I don't really have a problem with trying to carry a suit and I leave my Timberlands under my desk. Smile

Get changed and leave all my stuff by my desk, rather than down in the lockers.
____________________
aKa: Ducky


Last edited by DucatiEVO on 22:43 - 08 Sep 2005; edited 3 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Vespa
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:18 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

.

Last edited by Vespa on 23:58 - 01 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZZR Girl
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trip to work is about 10 miles, but I only take the bike if it's not raining. My journey takes me from Lewes, along the bypass, over the Falmer Road, through Woodingdean and into Ovingdean - apart from the bypass, the roads are B roads. Before I got the ZZR, I had a top box but now haven't got any luggage on the bike. I get by with having big jacket pockets, which take phone, comb, money, keys and my sarnies! Laughing I take in a few days worth of a change of clothes when I've got the car, and have got a safe place at work to leave my bike gear and lid. And of course, being a girl, I have a spare make up kit in my locker!! Laughing Laughing
____________________
Keep it shiny!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Craggles
Traffic Copper



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:31 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Would be dubious about leaving a lid with the bike.


Don't know if this was in reply to my comment about leaving my helmet in the topbox or not -

Its probably more secure in the top box than it would be anywhere that most people could leave it at work (unless you have your own office/cubicle). A fair bit of damage would have to be done to the top box to even scratch the helmet - worst that could happen is the bike falling over, which probably would have the same effect on the helmet as knocking it on a doorframe as you walk in.

Obviously using helmet clips/chaining it to the bike is a bit risky at the best of times!

Craig
____________________
If this signature is blue, you're riding too fast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

illusion
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 04 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:48 - 08 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 miles each way on a GS500, constant filtering all the way, constant traffic, constant people trying to kill you. The main part of my journey is the A1 into central London from Highgate to Angel, and a bit further on to Shoreditch. I can't stand it, this morning some car pulled out on me without looking and I had to brake hard and was way too close to nearly hitting his car! Anyway, only gotta do it for one more day! Then I will be on the train for a couple of weeks, then doing 100 miles a day from Cambridge to London after that. The GS500 will be going!!! I want something bigger, I'm thinking maybe FZ6S or VFR800? I dunno yet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ismunday
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 07 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute most days now. I have a Crumpler laptop bag which I just sling over my back and a 25-40 litre Cargo magnetic tank bag. Carries a pair of shoes, trouser, lightweight jacket and my lunch nicely. If weather's crappy I can always put my laptop in the tank bag for which I keep an elasticated waterproof cover in a side pocket. Take everything into the office with me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 09 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craggles wrote:
Don't know if this was in reply to my comment about leaving my helmet in the topbox or not -


Not so worried about damage to the lid. More concerned with leaving all the equipment there for some opportunst git to ride off on the bike without looking too suspicious.

By the way, there have been proper bikes with storage space for a lid, such as the Gilera MXR.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 21 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.45 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 130.83 Kb