Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

motorbikes banned!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigie b
Citizen Smith

PostPosted: 12:26 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't kids yourselfs. Smoking is now being banned, for the interest of peoples 'health'. The more we let the government 'take care of us' then the more likely we will see more 'dangerous' activities being outlawed, for our own protection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:12 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still don't think they would get away with banning bikes.

lots of people would be out of the job over night, the people working for the dealers etc etc. also companies who have invested in facilities in the UK, bike production, maintenance, tracks would probably withdraw from the UK market if the machines were made illegal, there's little financial sense remaining in the UK and paying our labour costs, import/export fees and so on when it is all cheaper abroad.

political ramifications:
Arrow unemployment figures will rise sharply
Arrow they will loose plenty of votes from all the pissed off bikers
Arrow it'll effect the economy
Arrow and there'd probably have to be some sort of compensation handed out to companies aswell as bike owners right?

and there's probably more. but the first 2 they will want to avoid and Thumbs Up would probably cost them the next election.

they probably will try to, i have no doubt. but they won't be able to justify it.

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you could join the BMF or MAG and then you'll know that someone is watching your back.

You know, I really should save that sentence as a macro somewhere - save me typing it again and again and again and .... Rolling Eyes

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:16 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not ban all cardigan wearing, tree hugging veggies from our beloved land & make them take their freedom bus passes (& Volvos for when the buses are full) with them.
Friggin buch of asswipes that we just don't need in this country, tell them that in Sweden they can live a happy recyclable life talking to flowers & little fluffy bunny rabbits whilst we the ignorant can happily kill ourselves riding lethal motorcycles that are so loud that they scare off crows for 25 miles around.

Just a thought.................................but what a happy one! Twisted Evil

Grubby
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:19 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:
Of course, you could join the BMF or MAG and then you'll know that someone is watching your back.

You know, I really should save that sentence as a macro somewhere - save me typing it again and again and again and .... Rolling Eyes

Or I could slice my arms & legs off for the same amount of fun for less money.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:01 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jman wrote:
political ramifications:
Arrow and there'd probably have to be some sort of compensation handed out to companies aswell as bike owners right?

Didn't stop them banning most hand guns. Didn't stop them virtually banning hunting with dogs.

All the best

Keith

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:51 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadie wrote:
...ou could join the BMF or MAG and ....someone is watching your back....

Wish I could be confident that they'd actually do something rather than just watch Wink

To bring up again conversations I've had with MAG and BMF representatives these organisations seem reluctant to challenge or confront because (in their opinion) that'd make the situation worse and any legislation would be more severe.

That said I guess it's a bit like elections. If I don't vote then I can't really say I've taken part in democracy. So I'm a BMF member.

Last edited by map on 18:00 - 28 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:59 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Jman wrote:
political ramifications:

Didn't stop them banning most hand guns. Didn't stop them virtually banning hunting with dogs.

All the best

Keith

different scales though mate, there are far more people working in the motorcycle industry than there are/were in either the firearms or hunting industries. besides, hunts still go on, they found a legal way around it.

andyshing
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:12 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: motorbikes banned! Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
by 2020 the goverment are trying to get the transport department to ban motorbikes from the road altogether to cut down on road deaths.

what an idiot to come up with such stupid idea Sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:05 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jman wrote:
different scales though mate, there are far more people working in the motorcycle industry than there are/were in either the firearms or hunting industries. besides, hunts still go on, they found a legal way around it.

Err, the countryside association had half a million member which dwarfs the BMF and MAG combined. The only motorcycle industry we have is Triumph employ a few people and exporting much of their products, and people selling imports.

As to killing off industries, check mining. From 1984 to 2004 the number of miners in the UK dropped from 180000 to 6000, from 170 to 12 working pits. The number of non retail jobs that would be lost by the banning of bikes would probably be about equal to one of those pits (and retail wise they could just move to selling whatever people spent their money on instead).

All the best

Keith

quik_d
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:42 - 01 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
base wrote:
ok lets look at this, first they ban bikes what happens to yamaha suzuki kwak honda?

Not made in the UK, so why should the government care.

base wrote:
and every other manufacturer?

That would be Triumph (mostly exported) and CCM. About it really.

base wrote:
retailers?

They will switch to selling other imported items.

base wrote:
racing?

Doubt the government really care. No racing means no tracks, which means no whinging letters from Mrs Miggins complaining about the noise.

base wrote:
all the people employed in the biking industry .......................never going to happen

Might well happen, just do not expect it to be as blatant as MCN make out.

All the best

Keith

Aye, but also a hell-of-a-lot of taxes they would no longer be getting, on racing, fuel, road tax, MOT,corporate tax from insurance companies and all other inductry related to biking.

Anyway that 15 years away, i'm not gonna worry now!

Sadie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quik_d wrote:
Aye, but also a hell-of-a-lot of taxes they would no longer be getting ...

I'm sure some made that exact same point about the smoking ban ...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:25 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't actually banned smoking afaik, I thought it was just in pubs and clubs.

Maybe they'll ban motorbikes in Nightclubs... Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:17 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

quik_d wrote:
Aye, but also a hell-of-a-lot of taxes they would no longer be getting, on racing, fuel, road tax, MOT,corporate tax from insurance companies and all other inductry related to biking.

Not really. Suspect that any tax from products used for racing is more than wiped out by healthcare costs, and any raod use taxes would be made up for in people travelling by car instead. Tax losses would be pretty much non existant.

quik_d wrote:
Anyway that 15 years away, i'm not gonna worry now!

Having been riding for 19 years and having over a dozen bikes more than 15 years old, 15 years time doesn't seem that far away.

All the best

Keith

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say ban the cars that knock the bikers off Thumbs Up

Jammy-R6
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:40 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say ban MCN !! I'd beleive Tony Blair before I beleived them, they can't even research properly! Proof HERE !

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 02 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that jammy g but with an R6? wtf im condused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jammy-R6
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:47 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:

Clever lad, you must of had your weetabix this morning!

snuff2005
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:05 - 03 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about we all say fuck you to the government and go live in holland were every thing seams to be nice and leagal.

thats wot my plan is in a few years time

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jammy-R6 wrote:
Josh|RD125LC wrote:

Clever lad, you must of had your weetabix this morning!

thought you was banned you somerset bastard

Jammy-R6
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:18 - 04 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh|RD125LC wrote:

thought you was banned you somerset bastard

Somerset? How dare yow. I'm back due to popular demand.

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 15:03 - 07 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

snuff2005 wrote:
how about we all say fuck you to the government and go live in holland were every thing seams to be nice and leagal.

thats wot my plan is in a few years time

sounds more strict than the UK tbh.

on the spot fines, more speed traps, and more vigourous enforcement of the traffic laws.

many EU countries also now practice impounding the vehicle on the spot if you're caught doing a certain amount over the limit.

a

plugger147
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 11 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jammy-R6 wrote:
I say ban MCN !! I'd beleive Tony Blair before I beleived them, they can't even research properly! Proof HERE !

thats not really proof of research,have you ever tried getting any proof of evidence from a scamera company.They wriggle and fob you off for as long as they can and spout loads of bollocks,keep you sweating right up until they drop the case.

deb
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:20 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: bike ban Reply with quote

You would think they would be trying to encourage more bikes and less cars seeing as they are more environmentally friendly and the government is supposed to be trying to save the environment. I think they just have a thing against bikes - it seems it has always been that way.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:26 - 06 Apr 2006    Post subject: Re: bike ban Reply with quote

deb wrote:
You would think they would be trying to encourage more bikes and less cars seeing as they are more environmentally friendly

They aren't, and we need to hope that the government don't start to act on that.

Short tyre life, frequent servicing, poor fuel consumption (especially when you consider the number of people they carry on average) and dire emissions all contribute.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6