Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

motorbikes banned!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

alec_h
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:27 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Riding a bike is a concious decision to put yourself and others around you at more risk. Just like smoking.

All the best

Keith

So lets ban cars ?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:29 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec_h wrote:
So lets ban cars ?

Quite, lets ban everything. We will be all nice and safe until we die of boredom.

All the best

Keith

lurker
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:40 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta laugh at all the nit picking about whether they will whether they won't, which creates more pollution which doesn't....
...the oils gonna run out alot sooner than a bike bans going to get enforced.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:50 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very unlikely. And there are enough alternatives to just getting oil straight from the ground to make it fairly irrelevant anyway.

All the best

Keith

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 22:09 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomsmith wrote:
My GPZ does 300 miles on £16. You tell me which pollutes the most. Pretty obvious really.

I get 100 miles to £12 on my cbr.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cbr will do about 110-140 on £12.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pipnet11
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:09 - 19 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me a while to realise how old this thread was. lol

We could all end up being powered by ethanol or something along those lines. Brazil is already doin ethanol on a large scale from sugar cane.
I love the girls that do, I hate the girls that dont, I hate the girls who say they will and then they say they wont, but the girl I like most of all and I think youll say Im right, is the girl who says she never has but looks as though she might. - Max Bygraves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't happen.

Simply because a manufacturer like, hmmmm, let's say, Honda, will turn around to the government and tell them that despite investing heavily in the UK economy by employing many thousands of peopls around the Swidon area. That they'll be closing down said factory and moving production to somewhere esle in the world, for less money.

No British government wants another DeLorean type problem on their roll of honour in the history books.

All the other bike manufacturers employ enough people to make a sizable dent in the UK unemployment figures too, can you see the government closing it down, especially when they could stop the amount of road deaths by puttng up a few more cameras and giving car drivers better standards of driving instruction. Rolling Eyes

This type of story is the entire reason I have stopped buying MCN. It's utter sensationalist bullshit.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 13:26 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If something should be banned to save a lot of the earths protection, I’d say get rid of motorsport.
Think of all the races not even shown on TV, some utterly pointless, it would take away some people passions but as we know the government don’t care about that.
Think off all the effort involved to crush all the bikes in the world!!! Lol

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:43 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
If something should be banned to save a lot of the earths protection, I’d say get rid of motorsport.

Already is banned in Switzerland, for example. Fully expect it to be one of the next targets of the greens.

All the best

Keith

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:

And yet another HUGE spike would appear in the UK unemployment graphic.

The UK employs more people within motorsport than anywhere else, if it was banned overnight there would be countless companies that would go out of business.

Besides, think of all the revenue that motorsport brings in to the government through various taxes over the course of the year. It won't ever happen either. Thank god!

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little bit OT, I know, but... The IAM rag ( Winter edition 2005 ) had a piece about the tories wanting to up road tax for 4x4's to something around the £1000 a year mark and reducing the tax of other classes if they came to power.

Me, I like it. Thumbs Up

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:18 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Don't agree with that. They already pay enough extra fuel duty.

All the best

Keith

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:34 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold_Shand wrote:
...tories wanting to up road tax for 4x4's to something around the £1000 a year mark and reducing the tax of other classes...

Another problem with that is that with the new types of MPV and smaller 4x4s the lines are getting blurred. I mean could you put the little Fiat Panda 4x4 in the same class as a massive Toyota Landcruiser?

I also can't believe the countryside loving tories would do that and alienate all the landowing and/or farming 4x4 owners (i.e. those who can actually easily justify owning one). That's as well as the potential tory voters who use a 4x4 to pick little Tamara up from school (because walking on the pavement is so dangerous in Chelsea).

Just my thoughts.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 20 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else notice the idiocy of that carbon emissions advert where they are all 'doing their bit'.

She is walking the kids to school to save the hassle of consuming the middle eastern oil reserves single handedly by taking the Cayenne they own instead.

He is 'doing his bit' by fitting loft insulation to save on his heating energy, unfortunatly he has picked it up in a huge VW Tuareg which in one journey has done more damage to the environment than paying an extra tenner for fuel a year ever could.

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:27 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my late entry but I just want to say to all those who supported the no smoking ban and pished my comments on give up on one liberty/right and soon they'll ban something you like.....

HA-HA! Laughing

...... oh, now to go read the news.

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:20 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
i def agreethey should teach people to drive etc. there are other ways of having safer roads why take it out on bike users.

because bike users are a minority compared to car drivers and it's way easier for the government to karate chop motorcyclists than to teach all the car drivers out there how to actually drive Mr. Green

stryker
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:58 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

On thought that pops to mind.... how does the government work out how many car or bike miles are traveled per year? do they account for the fact that many bike riders do many more "pleasure" miles than car drivers I wonder? Do they use MOT records for recorded miles?

Just saying bikers account for 10% of all fatalities means nothing without all the facts.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:05 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Think is it done from surveys at particular points and extrapolated from there. It has been widely claimed in the past that it is pretty inaccurate for bike miles.

All the best

Keith

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:44 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be totally honest, in my opinion the government won't ever ban motorcycles. emissions is a bigish thing for them now and since motorbikes have much lower emissions than cars and especially 4x4s most government types are pro-motorcycle....

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:51 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jman wrote:
emissions is a bigish thing for them now and since motorbikes have much lower emissions than cars and especially 4x4s most government types are pro-motorcycle....

Motorcycles are pretty awful for emissions. On average far worse than cars for the important pollutants. Maybe better on CO2, but if they are just used by a single person travelling for pleasure then it is useless anyway.

All the best

Keith

Jman
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:00 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Motorcycles are pretty awful for emissions. On average far worse than cars for the important pollutants. Maybe better on CO2, but if they are just used by a single person travelling for pleasure then it is useless anyway.

All the best

Keith

i thought emissions referred to CO2? (EDIT: atleast when referring to environmental issues) obviously not, i guess. CO2 is definitely a thing for the government as they say they have to reduce CO2 emissions by 60%

sorry about the bad info.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:23 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

CO2 emissions are not directly harmful (well, certainly not in the small levels from vehicles) but it is currently fashionable to complain about them. Even if you take these as being important then they are pretty much directly related to fuel consumption. Average bike seems to manage about 45mpg with a single person on it, average petrol car does rather better than 30mpg with a bit over 1.5 people in it (on average). Result is cars produce less CO2 per passenger mile.

The ones that are directly harmful to people are particles emissions and carbon monoxide (and a few other nasties such as oxides of sulphur and nitrogen). Bikes are pretty poor for these compared to cars.

Sure small scooters are better on fuel consumption that larger bikes, but most are 2 strokes and really attrocious for emissions. Found some figures a few years back for London which showed that a 50cc 2 stroke produced more exhaust nasties than a bus. Furthermore a bike needs far more oil changes than a car and goes through consumables (such as tyres, filters, etc) far more rapidly.

They want to reduce CO2 emissions from man made sources. Easy way to otherwise remove them would be to shoot most of the population, as only about 3% of all CO2 emissions are from man made sources (and about 20% of that 3% from transport).

Bit of a statistical fiddle (and ignores where the CO2 comes from), but 4 people doing a journey on bicycles actually produce more CO2 through respiration than the same 4 people doing the same journey in a single small car (from respiration and from the exhaust).

All the best

Keith

it is a fiddle because the journey takes longer on a bicycle and so the CO2 from respiration for those in the car is reduced

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 27 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus the energy and emmissions used and created during the (pedal) bike's manufacture compared to the number of miles it will travel with only one person on board are unfavourable from a green point of view.

Jonwig
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:38 - 28 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stryker wrote:
On thought that pops to mind.... how does the government work out how many car or bike miles are traveled per year? do they account for the fact that many bike riders do many more "pleasure" miles than car drivers I wonder? Do they use MOT records for recorded miles?

Just saying bikers account for 10% of all fatalities means nothing without all the facts.

Pedestrians must account for more fatalities than that don't they?

Even if you estimate that bikes only account for 1% of vehicles, have you seen how many vehicles are on the road!

1% of shit loads is still a lot. If every biker protested as soon as a bill was put forward to be voted on the government would crap themselves. The number of bikers could probably equal 5 - 10% of the people who bothered to vote in the last election which could make a big difference in marginal seats. Then you'd have people who would protest because it's an invasion of civil liberties, the people related to bikers, the people working in a bike related job and people who plan to one day get a bike and would like to keep the decision up to them!

My point is lets wait until such a ban/restriction is put forward and then protest rather than laying down. It didn't work for fox hunting but I'm convinced there's far more people who would take exception to a bike ban than killing flurry, defenseless wild animals (or however they were protrade)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6