Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NSR Rev Hesitation

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

OreoXX
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: NSR Rev Hesitation Reply with quote

Hi

I have an NSR125 (2001 French) with a Gianelli Exhaust. The bike has loads of power, but between 5000rpm and 8000rpm, it seems to hesitate quite a bit when accelerating. I checked the RC valves timing, and it is perfect, I just fitted a new spark plug too. What could be the problem? A mechanic told me to put the needle on 3rd notch from the top, allowing more fuel for the mid-revrange. Should I do this?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly not . it seems to me that it's more a rc valves problem . you must observe the pulley sequence .
- key on the pulley goes to high
- start and the pulley must go on low if you are over 2000 rpm (especially when you start on choke) otherwise it will stay on high
- accelerate and the pulley goes to high over 6500 rpm
this is because at low rpm closing the valves help a good torque . you can make a test : adjust your idle at 2000 rpm and you will see the pulley going alternatively on high and low
download https://www.geneva-racing.com/~alains/NSRtips.doc (988 Ko)

OreoXX
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done this several times, it is perfect! I have used your NSRtips document and watched the sequence of the valves, all perfect! No idea where the problem lies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

the needle must stay on 2nd notch from top . i suppose you are on initial jetting which is main 132,idle 38,power 55 . change those with 138,42,65 . you will get a better start and a better climbing in revs . you have risk of breaking with a race exhaust if your mixture is lean . also fit a BR9EIX , even it's not free , it's much efficient and will save a bit of fuel . i've updated my file yesterday , you will be able to see how dismantling the carb (about 1 1/2 hour to change jets) . can you tell me also which CDI & RC valves control unit you have .

OreoXX
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done all that! 138-42-65 jets, Gianelli Exhaust, CI626, TV78, BR9EIX, Carbon Reeds! But it says in the NSRmanual that the standard setting of the needle is on the 3rd notch! I haven't checked in my carb yet, but is this true for 2001 NSR125RR from France?

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the needle has 5 notches it's correct to set in the middle , but if it has 4 notches , set it on the second from the top . i say that because some of my mates have 4 and some 5 (probably it has changed in 1993) and the workshop book was edited in 1989 . may be you are too rich ! watch your plug

Last edited by alains on 13:56 - 27 Sep 2005; edited 1 time in total

OreoXX
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will check where the needle is and report back.

OreoXX
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The needle had 5 grooves, the clip was on the 4th from the top! I set the clip on the 3rd from the top (in the middle) and cleaned the rest of the carb while I was already inside the bike. I set the pilot screw 2 1/2 rounds out, warmed the engine up for 10 minutes, adjusted the throttle stop screw to 1400 +- 100rpm. Went for a ride, the bike has absolutely no more hesitation!!

Thanks for the help!

John C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted Thumbs Up Mr. Green Mr. Green

OreoXX
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was worried something really bad had happened, since the RC valves timing was perfect, but then, hey, the needle was too high! Oh well, it runs like never before now Laughing Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1