Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2stroke, higher revs are better for it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

KevlarPants
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: 2stroke, higher revs are better for it? Reply with quote

Quick question, my instructor told me a while back that 2 strokes 'prefer' to be run at higher revs. This, he explained, was due to the way that the reed valves operate. So, higher revs allows them to open up properly, clearing out any crap that may have accumulated.

Or something like that.

Fact or fiction?

silent
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:53 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

im inclined to agree to a degree but they MUST be warmed up properly before being reved hard and as always the more revs the shorter the mileage the engine is going to do

andy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:27 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not so sure on the reed valves being a part of it. More down to (in my view) inefficiencies in drawing the mixture through the crank cases leaving a fair amount of fuel on the insides of the engine. These will then be sucked in as larger drops of fuel and are not going to burn as well.

All the best

Keith

gavin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what revs its tuned for! the stuff about reeds is nonsense, they open from the tip, at very low suction, high revs or low revs, makes no difference.

in my experience, all engines, 2t or 4t, prefer to be driven rather than abused. revving into the red is a form of abuse, but so is crawling around in a high gear at low revs all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 26 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's not completly non-sens , but what is missing is : what about the exhaust valves ?
the best ratio of a 2 strokes comes with a good balance between intake and exhaust . it's a question of mixture speed . when the plug burn the mixture and push down the piston it's needed that the burn mixture slow down the fresh mixture entering the carter and the barrel , otherwise a part of fresh mixture goes out with the burn one . more you run quickly and more the time from intake to exhaust shortening . but if you have no intake reeds , part of the fresh mixture will flow back. at low revs you need a system to slow down the exiting mixture (exhaust valves) and when you go up you need to have a free exit . i am not engineer , but it has been calculated and i remember having seen that on the workshop book for the suzuki 125 GT (1974) . a doctoral thesis from a young german about exhaust and intake system was edited in the middle of this book . the testing of different exhausts was made in race on a KREIDLER 50cc

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason behind the revving of 2-strokes is based on how the engine deals with the emissions of cumbustion. I have seen a 2-stroke that was crawled around all it's like and it was a right mess, coked up to hell. The reason is that a 2-stroke doesn't have valves like a 4-stroke, this means that there isn't an empty chamber for the fuel/air mixture to move into (from below the piston). This system works better at higher revs for two reasons, firstly, the fuel/air mixture is being forced into the chamber faster by a faster moving piston which mixes the fuel/air better and, secondly, this then clears the combustion emissions better. Low revs leaves the combustion by-products to build up on the piston crown and in the exhaust.

It is right that you should warm the bike up well before revving it though.

Cheers

Grim
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1