Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha WR450F Info Wanted

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:49 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Yamaha WR450F Info Wanted Reply with quote

I've got around £3000 to spend on a bigger bike, and these look great and I've heard good things from reviews, but what about the people that live with them?

1. What are these like on light green laning?

2. How much more fun are they compared to other enduros?

3. Are these any good for commuting or road riding?

If I can scrape enough money together I'll probably get a set of SM rims for it too, as I'll end up doing more road miles than off-road on the bike I get.

Mik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:52 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for offroad, no competition spec bike is going to be much good for commuting, very high maintenance etc. The Yams are a bit better on mainteance compared to KTM's etc but they still need a hell of a lot of maintenance etc.

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:58 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the most practical person on the planet. As long as any maintanance can be done in a day, and doesn't cost a fortune to keep tuned I don't care. It's all about performance on my 7 mile commute to college and the 10-20mile play on the way home Very Happy

I just hate the idea of getting a typical commuter or a plastic rocket. They do nothing for me.

Mik
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:10 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mik_RX125 wrote:
I'm not the most practical person on the planet. As long as any maintanance can be done in a day, and doesn't cost a fortune to keep tuned I don't care. It's all about performance on my 7 mile commute to college and the 10-20mile play on the way home Very Happy

I just hate the idea of getting a typical commuter or a plastic rocket. They do nothing for me.

Mik

WR will be fine, till it blows up.

Cost me over a grand to get my KTM engine rebuilt and the labour was pretty much free (a mate) ! That included fork seals and MOT though.

I was quoted £1400 by a local KTM dealer JUST to build the engine...

My point is that if you got a WR and it /did/ have engine problems then yeah it can get expensive, but maintenance usually is cheap enough but needs to be done often etc.

7 mile commute should be fine on a motard to be honest but I'd be far more worried about security.. no ignition... just press starter and you're away...

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 23:40 - 27 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good are you with a set of spanners? The basic maintenance one of these bikes needs isn't particularly difficult, they are quite simple to work on compared to say sportsbikes. They can be prone to blowing up but if you lavish mechanical TLC on them things are pretty reliable.

Oil + filter changes are done all the time, as are various more complicated bits like valve clearance checks. Top ends don't last very long, expect to be changing things like rings, camchain, piston and valves at the same intervals as you would be giving a roadbike a major general service... parts costs won't break the bank but as Sparks said labour can get expensive if you don't do the work yourself.

Remember that it's the sort of bike that is designed to be used for a few hours in harsh competition, then checked and serviced methodically. If you treat it like any other road bike and just go out riding it lots without this in mind it won't be long before something goes kaboom, and then it gets very, very expensive! Razz

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:05 - 28 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think myself a handy person with a set of spanners. I take my bike appart often enough, and replaced the piston, rings and little end bearing a few weeks ago. I just get sandwich bags to put all the various pieces with their screws so I know where it all goes back Very Happy

I give my own bike a good looking at ever other weekend so I can't see it being too hard. At the end of the day I just want a nice looking fast bike. How many horses do these put down? I'm currently on a restricted licence as I only did my test last month and I can't find that info anywhere on the internet.

Mik

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 20:39 - 28 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like with a half decent workshop manual you shouldn't have any problems looking after one. I think the 450 WRs make around 55hp or so, though not sure if an easy method/kit is available to restrict them...

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:51 - 29 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Sounds like with a half decent workshop manual you shouldn't have any problems looking after one. I think the 450 WRs make around 55hp or so, though not sure if an easy method/kit is available to restrict them...

Bloody hell. The LC4 640 gives that out Shocked . I think I'll see if restrictor kits are available for them. If not I'll have to find a dyno man that can Very Happy

Mik

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 29 Sep 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.

The Wr450 is pretty much a high level competition bike. The ktm is soft Very Happy

jayluvmito
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:00 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a gsxf600 for commuting and road riding. the mx is going to go for a high spec sm later.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 20:03 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really compare a WR450 to a 640 LC4.

Completely different types of bikes in a way.

They may be the same power, but the WR will be a hell of a lot lighter and more revvy etc..

Compare a WR450 to a KTM 450 and we're in a diff ball game Wink For me the KTM would be the one to have if you want fast and mad, but the WR is good all rounder and far more reliable (IMO) than the KTM, but still needs a lot of maintenace and its still a very fast bike.

Mik_RX125
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:50 - 01 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I've been talked out of getting a WR450F by my step dad. Git. With needing it to get me to college reliably, and trying to get one restricted, which seems almost imposible, I'm going to have to get a more down to earth bike.

So the Suzuki DR-Z400SM seems like the way to go. Good thing will be I might just be able to stretch and get a new one. None of this wondering whether the bike has been run in properly or anything. Also I won't need it resricting either. Maybe I'll get a WR450F in a couple of years when I don't have my restricted licence.

Mik
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1