Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying Insurance in 6 steps

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 13:58 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Buying Insurance in 6 steps Reply with quote

Here's my full insurance list with a step by step guide on how to get your insurance premium down.

1. First get yourself a cup of your favourite hot beverage, it helps, believe me.

2. Fill in the 'info form' attached before calling any insurance companies (if you can remember all your details you can skip this step)

3. Call every insurance company on the attached list (try the ones if black if you have time), be sure to record the results in the attached excel file.

4. Try and find other insurance companies that aren’t in the attached list, BCF has a fair few insurance lists, use the search function to find them.
Alternatively you can use goggle or your favourite bike mag to find more companies.

Once you’ve got some decent quotes you need to play them off each other (haggle).

Eg. Company x offers you £500 TPFT , company Z offers £550.
Call company z and tell them that company x has offered a better deal and can they match or beat it.
Then go back to company x and tell them that z has matched their price and so on.

If you want anything additional with your insurance free eg. ride any other bike, breakdown cover, legal cover, then the haggling stage is when to get it.

6. You’ve chosen the best deal for you; make sure you check the policy details before you hand over your money.
Then check them again when you get your policy paperwork through the post.

General Notes:

Credit/Finance:
It’s best to pay for your insurance in one lump sum to avoid paying credit agencies.
If you must use their instalments plan bewared that it’s almost impossible to stop the payments if you need to cancel the policy.

Online quotes:
Most online quotes are excessively high. Never do ‘quick quotes’ as they are completely useless, always opt for the ‘full quote’.
There are however some good online insurance companies, you’ll need to search bcf for their details.

The main reason online quotes are so high is that when you call an insurance salesperson they punch your details into the computer and get a basic quote.
Then they try and find a suitable ‘scheme’ for you.
A ‘scheme’ is basically an insurance special offer e.g. all riders over 21 with 3+ncb receive a 30% discount, each underwriter will have many schemes and each broker will have many underwriters.

A simple ratio:
The more insurance companies you call the more likely you are to get cheaper insurance.

You could get your pc to fax lots of insurance companies your details, but unfortunately you’ll find very few will reply, I’ve found the same to be true of e-mail.
Insurance companies are notorious for not calling you back, they say they will but don’t.

If you have any major complaints against an insurance company contact the Financial Services Authority.

I welcome any and all corrections, complaints, questions and suggestions.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:33 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful info Thumbs Up

Danny wrote:
...I welcome any and all corrections, complaints, questions and suggestions.

Based on my experience a couple more tick box columns on the spreadsheet for breakdown cover, breakdown cover inc. Europe and legal cover. Also tick in a column if helmet and clothing is covered (IMO most aren't). That way you can compare not just on the cheapest but what the best overall package is for you.

Just some thought Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:50 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id agree breakdown cover is important. I couldnt live without it.

I think online quotes are great to give you and idea of what insurance is on different bikes. If you ring up they will only do 2 quotes for you, and it takes ages.

I use www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk although I know I should do some ringing around when i come to get a policy.

reyb
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:59 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle Finger Middle Finger thanks, man! I've been up to my neck with insurance infos, but what you gave comes out accurately practical

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

reyb, you do realise you are giving him the finger? Laughing

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:15 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered another possible addition to the spreadsheet. Maybe more for comprehensive insurance although may affect third party stuff. Watch out on the excess. There's usually a mandatory amount imposed. However, you can usually reduce the premium a little by adding a voluntary excess on top of this.

Keeping track of this is useful. I've got plenty of cheaper quotes but for an extra £20 to £30 have gone from £300 excess to £100. Guess that makes any claim possible should it be required. Have too much excess and claims aren't worth it due to the loss of NCB and the hassle.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 20:29 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie_biker wrote:
reyb, you do realise you are giving him the finger? Laughing

fingers! Rolling Eyes
good post mate
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kb-zxr
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:04 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Good post mate.

Shame when I rebooted my computer I lost Microsoft Excel with the rest of Office. Can't find that bloddy disc either Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zack
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:41 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes very nice post mate Thumbs Up

im new here (today) look forward to sharing idea's with each other

just bought my self a Honda NSR 125 need to get insurance tax an mot for it..

i did di an mot it failed on minor things
but ive got that all sorted out just waiting for my fuel cap to come..

oh btw does anyone know what way you put the fuel lever ?
Down Left UP ???
my fairings dont have any signs on it to tell me Embarassed

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 22:47 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack wrote:
Down Left UP ???

at a quess,

down - primary tank
left - prime
up- reserve

WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

Zack
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:56 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
Zack wrote:
Down Left UP ???

at a quess,

down - primary tank
left - prime
up- reserve

WN

ahh thank you white noise

dam there is loads of post here everyday!!

gonna look for some pics of my bike Smile

its a late k reg single headlight

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 23:00 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack wrote:
ahh thank you white noise

thats what it is like on my XJ, only way to tell is look at the manual here or turn the tap to downwards and ride to you run out of petrol then if it starts where you turn it upwards thats the reserve! Laughing
WN

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a legend danny.

Pretty much confirms everything I know on what to do with insruance companies but the attached documents are very useful indeed. Smile

My renewal is up in one months time so it#s perfect timing.

Zack
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:08 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx again Smile

Zack
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:19 - 12 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a quote for £295! 3rd party fire an theft an £250 excess..

ive had my cbt for 2-3 weeks now and i drive a honda nsr 125 (1992)
my bike is kept in a garage.

well all i gota say is thx man for these numbers Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1