Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Overhauling brake calipers - Guide

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 19:27 - 14 Oct 2005    Post subject: Overhauling brake calipers - Guide Reply with quote

Thought that I would write a little something to share my experiences of brakes, in particular brake calipers. Having a couple of days free where my bike (ZX-7R) wasn’t ride able due to crash damage I decided that I should take a look at the brakes, in particular the front, as when a friend rode it he said they where a little on the spongy side. My initial plan was to follow Korn's guide on cleaning brakes in addition to bleeding them, and when I got back on the road see if they had got better, so started to clean them (in this case i used carb and clutch cleaner), and boy did they need them as the pistons where black and covered in a thick layer of brake dust! Cleaned the first 6 pot (piston) calliper with no problem with all the pistons moving freely in and out! Jobs a good’un. Then moved onto the second caliper, cleaned four of the pistons fine and found that one pair where stuck (Seized), I blocked the other four pistons from moving with a piece of wood between them and pumped the front brake, one of the stuck pistons began to move, however as it started to come out it was pulling out a dust seal! see picture 1

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=30761
Picture 1: caliper - the problem

It may prove worthwhile to give a diagram to show the that what a caliper is made up of to understand whats going on, see diagram 1!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/piston_diagram.jpg
diagram 1: Diagram of caliper

I tried to get this piston back in but no luck by hand so I tried doing it with a G-clamp and wood to protect the caliper and the piston, in fact I tightened up the G-clamp so much it snapped (cheap clamp :LOL:)! So with that piston not budging it looked like the dust seal was toast so the caliper could do with an overhaul. I drain the brake fluid from the system with the aid of Davo and an interesting technique! Laughing
As I was draining the system I decided to go the whole hog and fit some braided lines, so they got put on order, Stickwheel’s guide gives you some damn good advice here!
With the calipers off and brake fluid drained from them, it was time to get to grips with them, now the first problem when overhaulling the calipers is to get the pistons out of their barrels. The problem here is that you have to find a way to get them out without damaging the outer bore of the piston as this will lead to it damaging the seals when you put the pistons back in there barrels. So DON’T be tempted to use mole grips unless you want headaches later on!
There are a few ways to get the pistons out, but it depends on what facilities that you have available to you. One way is use compressed air attached to the banjo bolt thread and blow, unfortunately the problem is that once that one or more pistons have been removed the air has loads of holes to escape from, hence reducing the pressure acting on the remaining pistons, this can overcome by making a jig to get pistons out one by one, see diagram 2 below.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/caliper_jig_179.jpg
diagram 2: diagram of jig

but another way, and in fact the way that I did it was that I found that my usual bike garage has a Motorbike Brake Piston Removing Tool, and they let me use it for free, the only problem is that you have to split the calipers which isn’t bad as long as you don’t loose the rubber seals between the caliper halves! see picture 2

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=30762
picture 2: calipers split

Using the tool is easy and I had all 12 pistons out in ten minutes, such a time and pain in the arse saver! Only problem is it costs £90 so unless you are doing loads of calipers its time to find some else with one!
With all the pistons out you can have a good look at the state of the brake pistons oil and dust seals, when I did the same job on the rear caliper of my diversion the dust seals where ripped to shreds, with huge chunks missing! From the inspection of all the 12 dust seals there is only a small nick out of the one side of the rubber and the rest are fine, along with the oil seals, the nick isn’t going to cause too bigger problems so I can live with, but if you are in any doubt get new seals as they don’t cost that much and ask your self the question when am I next going to that the calipers apart? One thing that you have to be careful for when removing the seals it to try not to damage them so take care when you do it! With all the seals out take a look at the seal seats as these can become cogged with crap and corrosion and make the seal not sit properly, and hence not doing its job properly, so you need to get rid of this crud out of the seat. I found that a 3-4 mm allen key did this job well, by running the short head into the seat and scrapping off and the crap from the corners. Do this for the dust and oil seal seats on your calipers. Next take a good look at the pistons that you have taken out and check the outer bore for scuffs, dirt and anything that might damage to the seals, if you find anything that can’t be removed or the surface is corroded you have to replace the piston or it will act like a cheese grater on your seals. Give the piston a good clean both on the inside and out, you want to clean the inside as brake dust may have become deposited there and could cause embarrassing brake squeal after you reassemble the brakes.
Once done the caliper halves needs to be cleaned to get rid of the stuff you have scraped off. I did this in the kitchen sink while my housemates weren’t looking! :LOL:. Dry the halves off and let them dry completely, once dry and if you have got access to compressed air blow down the brake fluid channels to get rid of debris, blowing down them will also do the same job! So with the calipers and seals clean its time to refit every thing, see picture 4

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=30764
picture 3: ready for reassembly (oil seals already fitted)

to reasseble sit the seals in there respective seats, if you have a modern bike/caliper be careful as the pistons maybe different diameters, hence different size seals so get them in the right place!
With the seals in place, do a last check that there is no debris in the barrels, if there is just use a cotton bud to clean it out, then with another cotton bud dipped in brake fluid lubricate the seals, then slide the right sized piston back into its barrel. Put the rubber seals between the calipers back into place and bolt the two halves back together at of course the right torque setting!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=30763
Picture 4: caliper - reassembled

Replace the brake pads remembering to use copper slip where they touch the pistons. Reconnect the brake lines and attach the caliper back on the bike, then you can go through and bleed the system with new fluid in the usual way, hopefully after all of that this will provide better braking with the new fluid, a good clean and braided lines if you have fitted them.
This is merely a guide to how I did the job and not a definitive answer on how to do the job, the basics are pretty much the same with all calipers but people will have different methods of removing the pistons, if people could provide there methods that would be great as people have different circumstances to work in.
Anything you think that I have missed or doing something wrong let me know
when i get the bike back on the road next week i will let you know how the brakes feel Laughing
WN

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that happens to you if you follow this guide
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

Last edited by White Noise on 22:16 - 02 Mar 2006; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:40 - 14 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good guide, Going to clean my calipers up tomorrow, what cleaning stuff is the best?

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:54 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

good guide

just out of interest, you say you snapped a g-clamp when trying to push a piston back in, i had this problem with my rear caliper, one piston pushed in fine but the other would not budge for love nor money

so took it off and just about to overhaul the caliper when i pressed the piston, it slid back in perfectly. seems the back pressure from the old shi@#y fluid was too much but draining the fluid released the pressure and they went back in easily

i have also overhauled my front calipers and found that the easiest way to get the pistons out is to loosen the banjo bolt and use the brake lever to push them all out. you get covered in excess fluid but a few carefully placed towels sorted that out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 14:22 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee_367 wrote:
Good guide, Going to clean my calipers up tomorrow, what cleaning stuff is the best?

not eactly sure whats best but i found carb and cluctch cleaner did the job well
think that the piston wasn't going back in as it may have been coming out at an slight angle due to the dust seal, but could have been for the reason you mentioned
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 23:37 - 07 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, anyone got any other bright ideas for how to get a brake piston out Question

I don't have compressed air, or a jog or a piston removing kit. I've tried pliers with protection on the piston but it won't budge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 07 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of caliper is it what i have done is get say a strip of metal. If you have pressure in the system pump the lever until piston pushes against metal hold piston in place and keep working the lever. other piston should come out enough to get hold of it.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 23:57 - 07 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Nissin from a CB500.

The calipers are off the bike. I did what you suggested to get the first one out (2 pistons), but can't get the remaining one out. It's not particuarly jammed as I can use a G clamp to move it back in, but it won't come out of the caliper at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ive done is a set of pliers and cloth on it and tried to twist and pull. But i have seen me screw it up and realy score the pistons. Just a case of realy trying to pull it out.

Last edited by kat250 on 00:00 - 08 Jan 2006; edited 1 time in total

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:00 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Overhauling brake calipers - Guide Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:
but another way, and in fact the way that I did it was that I found that my usual bike garage has a Motorbike Brake Piston Removing Tool, and they let me use it for free

Sickpup mentioned one of these a while ago. Definatly on my shopping list after your comments.

Slinn84 wrote:
just out of interest, you say you snapped a g-clamp when trying to push a piston back in, i had this problem with my rear caliper, one piston pushed in fine but the other would not budge for love nor money

When they do not move back it is worth releasing the piston and moving the clamp to the other side of the piston. Often the piston goes at a slight angle and jams.

Major_Grooves wrote:
Okay, anyone got any other bright ideas for how to get a brake piston out Question

Connect them up to the brake hose and pump them out. Use a G clamp to hold the piston/s in position that is moving freely. Doesn't matter too much what the fluid is like that you are using ( before now I have used an old spare m/c, a very short hose and used water instead of brake fluid, just make sure you clean the system out thoroughly).

All the best

Keith

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 00:03 - 08 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Overhauling brake calipers - Guide Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Connect them up to the brake hose and pump them out. Use a G clamp to hold the piston/s in position that is moving freely. Doesn't matter too much what the fluid is like that you are using ( before now I have used an old spare m/c, a very short hose and used water instead of brake fluid, just make sure you clean the system out thoroughly).

Cheers; I suspected that might be the only option. Confused

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Re: Overhauling brake calipers - Guide Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:

Quote:

All the best

Keith

doesnt that risk damaging the master cylinder though if the piston is really jammed?

ive had to split a caliper before because one piston had stuck out, so i used a vice to pop it back in, then when i tried to pop it back out again by pumping the brake lever I blew the master cylinder (i had bled the system before pushing the piston back in). Just something worth thinking about if you dont have a spare master cylinder to use Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:43 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Given the pressure that the master cylinder takes when braking I think I would rather the master cylinder fail when pumping a piston out rather than when I am actually braking.

All the best

Keith

cliff
Doctor Sicknote

PostPosted: 15:05 - 30 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:

I don't have compressed air, or a jog or a piston removing kit. I've tried pliers with protection on the piston but it won't budge.

Get 2 big old tyre levers, put the caliper in a vice making sure to use soft jaws as not to damage the metal. Use a round object to put inbetween the tyre levers and coax them out that way, works a treat if you wiggle the piston slowly side to side. Thumbs Up

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 18 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:

Post it to me. I'll strip and rebuild it with new pistons and seal for £45+postage

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 01:03 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:

not sure if it is too late, but am overhaulling the front caliper on my divvy and came up with a method to get the pistons out, you will need a foot pump, a pump needle used to pump up football, gaffa tape and a G-clamp,
what you need to do is to do is to wrap a load of gaffa tape round the pump needle, attach to the foot pump, then shove this mass in the bolt hole that connects to the brake hose, push hard enough and it'll make a good enough seal, then with your foot pump the pressure up, hopefully one of the pistons will come out, when it does put it back in a little way then clamp it in place so all the pressure will be applied to the other piston(s), unfortionatly my other piston was completely siezed and i couldn't build up enough pressure to force it out by myself. in the end davo came over and did the pumping and it took us to get the compression upto about 120 psi before the siezed piston came out.
hopefully this info will help anyone else that doesn't have access to garage compressed air.
WN

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:05 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember to keep out of the way (put it in a cardboard box) a lump of metal propelled out by 120psi of air pressure will hurt if it hits you.

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 02:26 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Just remember to keep out of the way (put it in a cardboard box) a lump of metal propelled out by 120psi of air pressure will hurt if it hits you.

cheers forgot to add the bit about pointing the piston away from you and towards something soft! Rolling Eyes
WN

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 20:28 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Post it to me. I'll strip and rebuild it with new pistons and seal for £45+postage

Cheers for the offer. Garage did it with a service for just shy of £200. Sad

Got new problems now anyway. Sad

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the pistons out on my calipers by spraying compressed air into the bleed nipple, they pop out in about half a second, really quicky and easy.

If you dont have an air compressor though, then I dont know how you could do it.

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 21:21 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
I get the pistons out on my calipers by spraying compressed air into the bleed nipple, they pop out in about half a second, really quicky and easy.

If you dont have an air compressor though, then I dont know how you could do it.

The problem I had was that once you have one piston out you can't use brake/air pressure to pop the other one out. In that case you really need a proper piston extractor which most people (even Keith!) don't have.

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 21:25 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major_Grooves wrote:
The problem I had was that once you have one piston out you can't use brake/air pressure to pop the other one out.

you can use a G clamp to hold the other one in place
WN

Major_Grooves
The Doctor

PostPosted: 21:45 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Noise wrote:

you can use a G clamp to hold the other one in place
WN

I know, but how do you then get the other one out?

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 22:01 - 05 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think White Noise had it clamped in a way that the other piston was almost out but was in far enough for a seal to still be there.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really obvious solution here is to just do them one at a time Razz

Spray the compressed air, when one pops out, clean it. Put it back in, and clamp it there. More compressed air, whichever one pops out, clean that one. Repeat for each piston.

I think thats how I did it, anyway.

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 20:51 - 20 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

loply wrote:
The really obvious solution here is to just do them one at a time Razz

Spray the compressed air, when one pops out, clean it. Put it back in, and clamp it there. More compressed air, whichever one pops out, clean that one. Repeat for each piston.

I think thats how I did it, anyway.

that was what i was trying to explain but don't have a flare for english! Laughing
WN
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2