Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding at 100mph down the M1 is nice until....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Riding at 100mph down the M1 is nice until.... Reply with quote

... You Run out of fuel

lads and ladies, yesterday i endeavoured every biker's worst nightmare. The story goes as such.

I filled up my ZXR with 6 quid's worth of fuel thinking it will be sufficient to get me from loughborough to london. So i start my journet at 5:15.
Happy with my recently acquired ride, i ragged her down the m1, happily passing the rush hour traffic. All was going fine and as i passed luton i breathed a sigh of relief.

Just as i passed junction 8, i was doing 90 in the fast lane when all of a sudden, i noticed the engine lurching. Knowing that i had a ludicrously slack chain i assumed it was that, so i throttled off, but then i also noticed the revs drop. Titot then decides to turn his tap to reserve. FUCK it already is on reserve... i think Rolling Eyes .

Being increasingly aware that the mercedes E-classes lights were becoming an ever increasing speck of luminous xenon reflection in the mirror, i decided to make a dive into the hard shoulder. Luckily no traffic as i had pulled a sufficient gap in front of a traffic jam so it didn't bother me.

At the hard shoulder, i inspected the tap and found that it was on reserve, bugger. I tried starting the bike. Yes, it turns over but doesn't ignite.

Now as i'm bemused in my predicament, a volvo S70 estate pulls up. Fuck, PIGS i thought.

Helpful bedfordshire constabulary tries to help me out by checking my bike over only to confirm what i already know "son, you're tank looks pretty empty". Guy took down my details and after i told him i only had the bike for a day, they began to understand. Sharing a joke between his colleague, they pissed off, unable to offer me a lift due to new legislations Embarassed Evil or Very Mad . They were helpful in the fact that that they told me the nearest petrol station was a 4 mile push uphill! Thanks lads! (they didn't know my bike wasn't restricted and also didn't realise i had a black visor on in late dusk.

So i pushed the bike for about a kilo, emotionally and physically drained. The reason i HAD to go back to london was that my Parents were moving back to indonesia for good, so it was imperitive that i visted them on their final farewell party.

Thankfully a saviour in a fireblade stopped 100 metres up the road, burly chap from Middlesborough who had seen me pushing my bike had been a samaritan and waitied 5 mins for me to come to him. After exchanging a few words, he then came up with the idea to push my bike with the passenger footpeg. He used the footpeg to rest his toe on so that everytime he throttled on, it pushed my bike too. Luckily for him bike + rider = 200kgs. It was kinda like a loco shunting carraiges in a railway siding.

So with a hefty kick every so often on the hard shoulder, both of us made it up the M1 junction safely, when i made my own way to the petrol station. So if you're that gentleman from middlesborough on the 98 Blade, i am severly indebtted to you! Thumbs Up Karma

After filling up, i thought, fuck it, i'm going to blast it down the next 4 junctions till i reach edgware, and true to my word, Hemel to edgware in 20 mins CAN BE DONE @110mph!

I then met my parents who were STUNNED to see that i had traded for a kwak. My dad was understanding but my mum couldn't see the point on why i'd trade my bike for something older. Well mum, the comparison is this, My old bike was like a JML blitzer, my new bike is like a braun food processor with all the adaptors! Understand now? Wink

So if you guys have taken the time to read this, then i thank you lol. I've just waved my parents off at heathrow and i'm feeling a bit down so writing this kinda cheers me up Laughing .

At least my new chain and sprockets are coming so that will definately improve the fuel economy.I also noticed my horn wasn't working so that needs to be sorted out.

Lets just put that down to experience, YOU CANT DO 110 Miles on 6 quids worth of fuel like you used to do on a 125cc bike!

Peace out

Titot Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, interesting read Thumbs Up's up to mr blade rider, im sure most of us on here have ran onto reserve... you wont do it again thats for sure.

Steve.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:08 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that putting a hand flat on the back of the rider you are trying to push is a marginally safer way of giving someone a tow. You can even-out some of the jerkiness by bending your elbow.

Vespa
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:11 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Riding at 100mph down the M1 is nice until.... Reply with quote

Last edited by Vespa on 15:58 - 02 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total

kev19
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha nice one you got to the petrol station ok Very Happy.

Also fuck me i put in 10 pound of petrol in my rover 214 (1.4 liter) and i get around 60-70 miles out of that lol. Cant wait to get my bike Twisted Evil .

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:13 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally. The coppers are twats for driving away and leaving someone walking along the hard shoulder of the M1. It is fucking dangerous there is no way they should have left you there.

I am willing to bet that there is no regulation in existance that prevents the police giving someone a lift off the motorway, the exact opposite is more likely.

XS1954
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:40 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with you stinkwheel. Police should have stayed and at least got some fuel to the scene.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Riding at 100mph down the M1 is nice until.... Reply with quote

Vespa wrote:
And it could be done in 10mins @220mph, but neither is particularly clever, especially on a bike you've practically zero experience of. Had you had an accident at that speed, think what kind of leaving present that would have been for your parents.

All in all, very disappointing, young man. Thumbs Down

Honestly, you start with a valid point and from there on it's all downhill. Razz Laughing

Bad luck with the petrol Titot, but the Kwakka will be more smiles per gallon. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Incidentally. The coppers are twats for driving away and leaving someone walking along the hard shoulder of the M1. It is fucking dangerous there is no way they should have left you there

Yeh, i noticed them sharing a joke or two as they carried on their way. I reckon they must have been bored and seeing my bike as easy prey, they tried to do me for something or another. Saying that my bike was acquired two days before, then it would have been a different story.

Quote:
And it could be done in 10mins @220mph, but neither is particularly clever, especially on a bike you've practically zero experience of.

I've had ample experience travelling up and down motorways on a slow 125, which had got me clued up about hazards and increasing my awareness to the environment. With regards to the bike, i'm sure many of us wanted to see what our machines are capable of and i know that the max on my thing is 110mph (180ish kph on my speedo). I could have considered my actions as being safe as there was very little traffic around, i had most of the motorway to myself by that point and i thought it would be a good opportunity to test the full performance of the engine. But i do admit it was stupid as i was fully aware that my chain was uber slack.

Anyway, the ZXR is great, i've polished and sanded down all furred alloy so that it's more or less looking like a younger bike. She is a mean machine and she does yell! Mr. Green Thumbs Up

I guess tomorrow i'm going to be chosing some nicer country roads on my way up to loughborough.

Peace

Titot Thumbs Up

Vespa
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Vespa on 15:58 - 02 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 21:57 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Incidentally. The coppers are twats for driving away and leaving someone walking along the hard shoulder of the M1. <snip>...I am willing to bet that there is no regulation in existance that prevents the police giving someone a lift off the motorway, the exact opposite is more likely.

I'm inclined to agree, stinkie.

If Titz was a cager, then Plod's first priority would to be to remove the offending vehicle ASAP.

So, why did they think so differently about a biker ?

Seems strange to me Confused

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 15 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i don't really know when i'll see my parents next. Probably in summer, might go thailand, then see rents, then visit a mate of ours doing a gap year down under?

I have noticed the smiles. London just feels nicer on a sportsbike Wink . I've also noticed the economy is better when it's below 8000rpm ,i.e. before the RUSH.

I need to sort out my carbs as it's running rich. So a combination of rich fuelling, knackered chain and an appreciation that there was still another 10% more space for fuel in the tank were all contributing factors!

peace out

Titot Thumbs Up

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Riding at 100mph down the M1 is nice until.... Reply with quote

Vespa wrote:
Titz wrote:
After filling up, i thought, fuck it, i'm going to blast it down the next 4 junctions till i reach edgware, and true to my word, Hemel to edgware in 20 mins CAN BE DONE @110mph!

And it could be done in 10mins @220mph, but neither is particularly clever, especially on a bike you've practically zero experience of. Had you had an accident at that speed, think what kind of leaving present that would have been for your parents.

All in all, very disappointing, young man. Thumbs Down

So your not a supporter of Ghost Rider then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time... tilt the bike over to the side and it will fill the carbs up again and you should get atleast 1/4 of a mile each time.

Vespa
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:16 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: Riding at 100mph down the M1 is nice until.... Reply with quote

Last edited by Vespa on 15:59 - 02 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 14:23 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

110mph Thumbs Down

I'm f*cking disgusted.

Surely you bike goes faster than that.... Razz

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 15:14 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting. i didnt realise worn sprockets and chain affected fuel economy but i guess it makes sense

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, in a couple of hours, i'm going to do the journey in reverse. (not literally)I'm going back up, and i've learnt from my previous lesson and i have now filled the tank to the MAX. I've not been used to a square tank since my XR had a domed tank so i didn't realise the extra litres one could pack in. Riding in london also made me appreciate the necessity to change gear at the right RPM to prolong the life of the chain and sprockets. Furthermore, i'm going to keep it below 10k rpm for most of the journey so it'll be OK.

Once i'll get my chain and sprockets, i think a trackday might be on the cards so my knee can grace the undulating tarmac at 90mph!

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Least you can do 100mph on a bigger bike though compared to the 125 Wink

Unlucky mate, it happens to us all. Especially with a new bike. Best tip with a strange bike is to just keep it filled full until you get used to it Thumbs Up

Good read Thumbs Up

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the police could have had you 'removed' from the motorway at your own cost.... £100?
It's illegal to use a motorway without sufficient fuel for your journey.
That is the safety law.
Whether you had the bike a day or a decade.
Maybe they cut you some slack.
I know of police getting into trouble for carrying spare gas in the car for just such an occasion.
A guy the local police patrol helped complained to the head office coz he said, "his car got more mpg than the gallon given by the police but he had to fill the police can up after being rescued."
Shit head....
So some stories may back up the police action in this case.
Pity they can't help.
You could have phoned from the emergency phonebox for a garage to come. That's what they do but it's dam expensive.

Hope you switched that tap over to Run now.
Go and check to be sure Laughing

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

110mph..what zxr are you on???????...zxr400//zx6r//zx7r//zx9r//zx10//zx12r (well not a 12r becouse you would be more likly doing 190mph on one of them... Twisted Evil Thumbs Up

Jrod
Page 3 Girl

PostPosted: 17:34 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

zxr250 which you don't seem to know exists in your little selection. Wink

Theres only 3 types of zxr AFAIK.

zxr250 zxr400 and zxr750.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zxr400er wrote:
zxr250 which you don't seem to know exists in your little selection. Wink

Theres only 3 types of zxr AFAIK.

zxr250 zxr400 and zxr750.

i didnt say zxr250 becouse they are rare as fook.....

Eh? thanks for picking that up though

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got home safely now and i've calculated a motorway MPG of 38mpg doing 80 in top gear - about 11-12000rpm. I miss my 125 for fuel economy but i got to say, i love this bike's performance so far. Well it's only a small engine so i suppose it's got a rather poor MPG.

So for motorway journeys, best tip i can advise for those who haven't had the challenge is as soon as you hit your reserve switch, find the immediate petrol station and fill up. Dont chance it!

Quote:
i didnt say zxr250 becouse they are rare as fook.....

Ahh Very Happy , then i should be in a position to call myself "Zxr250er" then Dance! Doh! Drooling

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 20:06 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:

Ahh Very Happy , then i should be in a position to call myself "Zxr250er" then Dance! Doh! Drooling

Jordan, looks like you,ve got an Apprentice

Teach him the ways of Tartyness Laughing
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2