Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

All of a sudden Im getting lots of vibration from my rs125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 01:46 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: All of a sudden Im getting lots of vibration from my rs125 Reply with quote

Was out on a little ride and then suddenly I am getting lots of vibration. I notice it in the bars, but it seems to be coming from the engine.

I felt something very similar when I test rode a rs250 a few months ago but wasnt sure if there was something wrong with the bike or if it was normal.

A friend says its might be engine mounting bolts loose.

Im tempted to just take it to the garage but thought I should ask in case anyone has some ideas as I cant be sure the garage will know what to do.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:23 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it making any odd ticking, clunking or clattering noises?

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:57 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

most possibly engine mounting bolts. or could be anything loose - I had a 'minor' vibration that I Took to the garage (luckily to get other stuff done) and it turned out my indicator was loose - that's it - its probably best to take your fairings off - start the engine and try find where it's coming from - no point in spending a load of money on a garage to find a vibration - unless it's goingto be a big problem...

goodluck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 14:59 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing unusual
it does this a bit after gear changes but has done this for a while

for a second I thought you might be thinking its the gearbox, but the vibration is when its in neutral aswell, not just when in gear

the guys on 125sportsbikes reckon its engine mounting bolts, and ive got my mate to point them out.

I will try tightening them myself and if that doesnt work, I'm taking it back to the garage that recently had the engine out so they can see if they didnt tighten the bolts properly afterwards. I will be polite though as it could be something else.

OreoXX
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NSR also has some odd vibration, and it just started recently. I have no clue what it is, but it might be the same problem you are facing. Report back when you figure out what the problem is, and I'll do likewise if I find the problem with mine Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have odd vibration too on my CG125... Sounds horrible.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:57 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bit of a look for engine mounting bolts but could only see two
I have dropped it off at the bike garage and hinted that i suspected it was a loose engine bolt from when they did a top and bottom re-build

I need a new tire anyway

I am hoping they are just gonna charge for the tyre and fitting of it, as i suspect that the vibration thing is their fault.

If they charge me for fixing the vibration without convince me it wasnt their fault, I'll use a different mechanic next time.

I will report back on what happens

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 16:09 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive picked it up and although they say they havent charged to tighten the engine bolts, they seemed to have charged a lot for the tyrte they fitted.

£120 to fit a bridgestone battleaxe BT090F 110/70 R17 M/C 54H

a friend has told me this place dont have a good reputation and that another place charges £80 to supply and fit a tyre. maybe my tyre is a bti more expensive but id be surprised if it was £40 more.

more annoyingly, although the vibration is reduced, its still not back to normal

I may be selling my bike, but if i keep it, I will ask another place to look at the vibration when I get my chain and sprockets changed.

Its a shame cos I thought I'd found a good place as they were better than other places I've been to.

If they struggle to get it right on a relatively simple 2 stroke, I wdnt want to trust them with a sports 600.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:16 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
a friend has told me this place dont have a good reputation and that another place charges £80 to supply and fit a tyre. maybe my tyre is a bti more expensive but id be surprised if it was £40 more.

Fitting a tyre to a bike rather than to a loose wheel (which is probably what the £80 price would be for) tends to up the price substantially. Also tyre places tend to be a lot cheaper than bike shops (tyre suppliers seem to go in for bulk discounts and the dealers do not buy enough to get these kind of discounts).

For comparison the Michelin on the front of my RS was (from memory) £95, and that was with me taking the wheel in.

All the best

Keith

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
nothing unusual
it does this a bit after gear changes but has done this for a while

for a second I thought you might be thinking its the gearbox, but the vibration is when its in neutral aswell, not just when in gear

Does your bike have a balancer shaft? Had one go on my KMX years ago, felt like the bike was self destructing. Neutral

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:46 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Good call. Forgot about that.

There are a pair of plastic gears that drive the balance shaft and these are service items. They are specified to be replaced (forget the exact mileage, 15000km rings a bell).

All the best

Keith

priller
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:54 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

For comparison the Michelin on the front of my RS was (from memory) £95, and that was with me taking the wheel in.

How much of that was the cost of fitting?

I paid about £170 for a pair of bt090's fitted including them remove the wheels.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:41 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

priller wrote:
How much of that was the cost of fitting?

Cannot remember (and that could even have been plus fitting). Fitting to a loose wheel is anything up to £10 normally.

That was a tyre I needed in a hurry for an MOT and came from the local bike shop. Could probably have saved 1/3 of the cost if I had time to hunt around a bit.

All the best

Keith

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 20 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep all the AR6 engines have balancer shafts, same engine that is used in my rx Thumbs Up if you need the manual, ive got a .pdf file for the engine, gimme a pm if you need it, good luck Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 21 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NSr started vibrating really bad after a spill. Found out at the garage that the engine was being held in by one bolt after the others sheared off. Shocked

I'd try that first.

kenny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:52 - 21 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a strong possiableity that it is the mounting bolts as 2 strokes vibrate alot more then 4 strokes which means stuff often come lose just take out the bolt completely and add some nut lock (locktight) to the end of the bolt and replace and torque up to the right torque if you can

use the blue nut lock i think the green stuff might be a bit to strong for them

hope that helps Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 00:25 - 22 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx guys

maybe the plastic gears on the balancer shaft need looking at as my bike has about 23k kms

maybe i should ask the mechanic to put the engine bolts on using nut lock (loctite)

I hope my bolts havnt come off and that I can trust the mechanic to put the right ones in as I dont think Im up to the job really.

Will it do any damage if i go on a 4 hour ride this weekend if any of the above are a problem ?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 22 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

130 Dunlop GT501 rear for the MZ was £82 fitted to bike, front was £71.

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 22 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The balancer shaft is only there to reduce vibration, if its a problem with that, other than it vibrating like a normal 2stroke would, i dont think it would do much damage.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:30 - 22 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If it is an engine mounting bolt then possible you will wear the mounting holes to an oval shape.

Short term you will probably get away with the vibration. Longer term it is going to put extra stress on many engine components (eg, crankcases). Also remember that depending on how the gears have failed you could have a load of bits of plastic floating around in the crankcases.

Just checked the Rotax workshop manual and it says to replace the balance shaft drive gears every 15000km.

All the best

Keith

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:24 - 22 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably that then, and im regretting being a bit blamey with the nice mechanic

thnx for the advice guys
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1