Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

indicator problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mrs Knight
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:36 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: indicator problem Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could post-up some info for me. Confused

The left indicator on my suzuki GP125 does not flash on-off. When it is switched on, the light remains on constantly. Right side is working fine.

Any ideas what I can do to fix it?
Thanks

Aimee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Akiraprise
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:59 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this problem on my RS - I'm going to try a different relay - a more powerful one.

have you changed your indicators recently? dropped the bike or anything - when did they start doing this? Also might want to check all connections make sure they're fine

good lcuk finding the problem
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Slinn84
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:31 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

do both end stay on?? front and rear i mean?

if your bulb has gone then one working one will flash more rapidly so that cant be the problem

do you have an indicator light on the display? that flashes when your indicators are on. does this stay on and not flash?

chack all the connections on the indicator circuit, might be a faulty connection close to your relay. a more powerful relay will not help as this will cause the flash rate to increase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs Knight
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:49 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: display light stays on instead of flashing. Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've not had the bike long and it was on the 2nd ride out (yest) that the problem started.

The bike has not been dropped or had the indicators replaced since I've owned it (all of a few weeks).

The display does show a constant light for the left, but flashes on/off as would be expected for he right indicator.

I will get my other (more practical!) half to check out the electrics / connections.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 17:09 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I rode the bike through york I found that when you stopped at lights the indicators would just stay on and not flash. as soon as you rev the engine a bit they begin to flash again.

Was much fun riding that little GP through york...even though It looked like a mini moto under me.

extreme3d
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 16 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a sticky relay. If the lights staying on it may mean the circuit is not being broken as it should.

muddycoffee
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:33 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a 6v system?

or anyway, even 12v make sure the battery is fully charged. The flashing relay is a bimetallic strip and uses lots of current to work. If there isn't enough current available then it won't have enough to break the circuit and the indicator will stay on.
When you rev the engine, a temporary amount of extra current is flowing from the alternator - enough to make the flasher work and the lights wink.

My advice is take the battery off and leave a full night's charging. If the battery is more than 5 years old you will almost certainly need a new one.

Good luck Thumbs Up

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

muddycoffee wrote:
Is it a 6v system?

or anyway, even 12v make sure the battery is fully charged. The flashing relay is a bimetallic strip and uses lots of current to work. If there isn't enough current available then it won't have enough to break the circuit and the indicator will stay on.
When you rev the engine, a temporary amount of extra current is flowing from the alternator - enough to make the flasher work and the lights wink.

Good luck Thumbs Up

We checked both indicators whilst idling at lights. For the same revs, RH worked but LH was on constant. Im not sure its the revs/current thats affecting it, plus im pretty sure the lady we bought it from had just replaced the battery.

Would it have two relays? One left and one right?

Cheers all. Thumbs Up

muddycoffee
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:37 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

no there will only be one flasher unit, (or relay as you call it, though it isn't really a relay) I suspect that you might have a weak bulb on one side but I would still charge up the battery fully. Purchase a spare indicator bulb and you can try it in the LH side first front then back.

Sometimes the solder on the back of a bulb gets a little (dry) and therefore the impedence of the joint goes up, in this case it might mean that the bulb comes on but pulls less current and this will mean that there is not enough current drawn to heat up the flasher and make it go off.

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 17 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think maybe I should just give it a good clean?...or rather Mrs Knight should Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1