Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

loose zxr exhaust

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

lusty
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:48 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: loose zxr exhaust Reply with quote

took my L4 ZXR400 for its MOT yesterday and it failed Crying or Very sad Thumbs Down

it failed on have a nut missing on the sub frame, i've fixed that. plus on a bolt missing from the rear hugger, fixed that.

the final thing it failed on was a loose exhaust, there was loads of movement from where the silencer fits on and where the manifold goes from 4 to 1. When i got it home after safely transporting it back on a trailer Very Happy. i took off the bracket on the silencer and then pulled the exhaust off very easily from where the exhaust goes from 4 into 1. Just wondering whether there should be a bracket here or does it need welding, as the exhaust is stainless steel.

cheers john

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:35 - 19 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify first. Exhaust is the name for the whole assembly, front to back. Manifold means "with many things" and refers to any such junction box, not just exhausts. Cars have a manifold which is in 99% of cases bolted to the cylinder head.

On a bike the things bolted to the cylinder head are the downpipes. The manifold (often called collector to avoid confusion) does the 4 into 1 bit. So you get...

Engine >> Downpipes >> collector a.k.a manifold >> silencer (muffler in USA).

Have the downpipes come away from the collector? Usually these are welded or clamped on. A bracket just holds the whole exhaust to the bike and won't make an effective join.

Can you post a picture?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1