Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How many SM riders on BCF ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Valver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: How many SM riders on BCF ? Reply with quote

How many supermoto riders do we actually have on
BCF?
I know of a few but would be good to know how many more of you there are. I'm up in the north of Scotland and SM hasn't really taken off so much here yet so i only ride alone or with mates on Sports bikes.

so.......

what do you ride? where ya from? how long have you been riding SM for? give us more info if you like.

I ride a 2000model Husqvarna SM610R with a few mods here and there. I've had it since January and its my first SM although i have a motocross and sports bike background. The bikes actually a little ill just now so i'm riding (making do with) a trusty old E plate FZR750. Laughing

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:00 - 28 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

motards are big down south. i got a ktm lc4, honda xr650r, klx 250r. bin riding them for years, do loads of track days on the xr, thankfully most of me buddies have come off sports onto motards so its fun rides now. have a right laff everytime we go out.... sportsbikes are gay Laughing .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 00:19 - 29 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.visordown.com has a very healthy SM section - lots of them over there.

Obviously though, VD isn't a patch on BCF Thumbs Up

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 29 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a little MZ sm, 1254t, it's quite light and pretty pokey for a small 4t and it makes mincemeat of the twisty roads we have on the island.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 05:22 - 30 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting my license in a couple of days and i'll be riding my suzuki DR250. at the moment it's got motorcross tyres on but it's already registered so i'll be slapping some super moto tyres on there and i'll be getting it airbrushed by a really good friend. i also work down at a custom bikes shop any idea about what i should do to my bike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rift.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:09 - 30 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SM Dr650 1995 but its not working due to eletrical problems.

I also have added a Acerbis fender at the front to make it look nicer.

I've had her for about 2-3months now and im loving the dr's height, you can see everything.

Its a completely different ride to a sports bike and for me (a beginner) the DR is perfect, easy to ride and is quite forgiving.

Im hoping Ben might be able to give us a hand with fixing it,Smile Smile

I'll get a picture posted. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:38 - 30 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
i also work down at a custom bikes shop any idea about what i should do to my bike?

Ride it!

Incidentally, to get 'proper' supermoto tyres you will need different rims. However, you can get some pretty sticky road biased tyres in trail styles that easily let me get my knee down on the road on my dr600.

Don't really see the point of having massively sticky tyres on a 250 four stroke single personally.

X-man
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 30 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ride a CCM R30
restricted atm though.

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 30 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mates Brother races Supermotos, some of you may know him. Kev Drayton! Also has-had a rd350lc nitrous! Thumbs Up

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 16:49 - 30 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
quacker_boy wrote:
i also work down at a custom bikes shop any idea about what i should do to my bike?

Ride it!

Incidentally, to get 'proper' supermoto tyres you will need different rims. However, you can get some pretty sticky road biased tyres in trail styles that easily let me get my knee down on the road on my dr600.

Don't really see the point of having massively sticky tyres on a 250 four stroke single personally.

haha! kding on a super moto! i had no idea that was possible! anyway i'm not as much as a nutter as you are G but i'll definitley be looking to slide it round corners with opposite lock kinda stuff.

what kind of tyres do you suggest?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:16 - 30 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sliding into a corner properly is much, much, much harder than getting your knee down. Just need to lean it a bit to get your knee down.
If you're talking sliding with opposite lock properly and keeping it going, expect to be a supermoto championship winner, or capable of doing so.

If you're sticking to trail style wheels, I had trailace or trailwing, something like that on the dr and they offered plenty of grip.

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:18 - 30 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can get my xr sideways and go round a bend but im nowhere near the big boys!! i can wheelie through most of the box, stoppie, slide ect but went out with my mate who's semi pro motard racer in france and he left me for dust, made me look crap. road biased trail tyres are totally different to mortard wheels. you can get a set of motard rims laced onto your existing hubs with tyres for around 400 mark, well worth the money IMO Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:30 - 30 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.tattoo wrote:
road biased trail tyres are totally different to mortard wheels. you can get a set of motard rims laced onto your existing hubs with tyres for around 400 mark, well worth the money IMO Very Happy

I still wasn't properly pushing the road biased trail tyres most of the time. On a DR250 I'm not sure if you can make much use of the extra grip offered, especially if you're new to the whole thing.

Was able to lead and lose at points a load of other BCF people on a ride on my trail wheel'd dr.

When you're talking more serious power and riding I can see it making more sense.

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 07:50 - 31 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

ok so maybe i'm being a bit ambitious about sliding round corners, but i'm looking to use road biased tyres as that's all i'll be riding on.

i want tyres with enough grip to wheelie on basically and to crank the bike over a fair bit.

chris

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:07 - 31 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheelie and slide a dr 250?? i can smell the burning clutch already Shocked thought you was talking bout a big bike, if its just a 250 then get some trail wings or avon's, or just keep knobblies on it, should be easier to slide round a bend then Rolling Eyes

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 14:27 - 31 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've noticed that it's ridiculosly unstable on the knobblies even at 80 kmh, i don't know whether that's due to the tyres or the long travel shocks but either way it's not safe. why do you guys think it's gonna be so hard to wheelie a 250 4 stroke single. pauls VFR400 is harder to wheelie than my 250 was when i had other tyres on it.

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:28 - 31 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM, got some rubber and leather stuff plus a face mask for the missus

.........oh you meant super moto didnt you Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 02 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm iv'e been building one out of an 88 kmx200 for the last 12months, or well at least talking about it anyway! Smile

Definately will be on the road by Jan06!

Type_Mo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:14 - 03 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im getting a Yamah DT125 and ill be all ligit from December the 6th hopefully Very Happy

I want a KTM duke 640 tho. Might get oen when my 33bhp restrictions are up if i pass my test on time Very Happy

then once thats all moded illg et a gixxer 750 too Very Happy

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 17:16 - 04 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone help me out!

got my test on monday and hope to be out by the weekend (thursday friday out here)

and i can't find the right size tyres that i need!

here are the sizes

110/100 – 18 (rear)

90/100 – 21 (front)

if anyone knows tyres of these sizes (road biased please) let me know me know and give the make and model and roughly how much if possible.

cheers

chris

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:53 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried your local tyre place?

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 13:46 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh and they said it'll take 3 months to get em in! but they were some cheapo indian make

so if i can find any on the net i can get em sent to my sis who'll be coming out in december and she can bring em.

chris

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 06 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My RX50 could be classed as an offroad bike...Close enough Laughing

dizzzzz
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:39 - 07 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I race SM's in the UK. Not had one on the road for ages, I leave that to the trusty SV.

check out my website for on board videos, pics and stuff. obviously now its the end of the season, not much will happen over winter, but it'll be freshly updated during the new year.

www.richardwardracing.com

KTM 450sx + Stroker Crank + 100mm Piston = 613cc (NORA #38)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 08 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice site, you look quite the pilot Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2