|
|
| Keep the bike? |
| Yes - sell the bike |
|
23% |
[ 6 ] |
| No, keep the bike |
|
76% |
[ 20 ] |
|
| Total Votes : 26 |
|
| Author |
Message |
| mattgt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mattgt Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 18 Feb 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 02:46 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: Genuine desperate help needed please... |
 |
|
Ok, where do I start. I'm a 19 year old, studying in london. I drive a Honda RVF400, just bought 4 weeks ago. I absolutely love it, possibly the best thing ever to happen to me. Though I have a few problems.
After all the talk on the chat rooms about bike safety etc, I get kinda worried. I have to park on the street in central london, and I find it hard to sleep due to worry of it being stolen. I spent about £3 grand on it, and being a student, my loan is sufficiently nil that this matters quite a lot.
Another problem is my mother. She loves bikes, but absolutely hates the fact that I drive one. She would rather buy me a car (no small feat) than see me carry on driving. I'm quite close to her, and so it hurts me to see her worry so much. I also (before mentioned) absolutely love riding. I am also a poor student.
What would you do, if you were in the same situation as me? I really am stuck, and don't know what to do. Some days I think I'll sell up, be sensible, have some money in my pocket and save myself from bankruptsy, keep my mum happy etc, but most of the time I look at my bike, smile, and go for a spin.
As you can see, I really get little sleep from it, and need help. Any advice is really apreciated.
Matt |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Snake Eyes |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Snake Eyes Scooby Slapper

Joined: 14 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 03:00 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think that says it all really, although your mum will be happy (very noble of you) on the flip side you will be sad while sitting in all that london trafic !!!!! ____________________ **************Honda CBR 600 FR***********
Just another day in paradise - Enjoy it while it lasts
www.brain-ache.co.uk |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mchaggis |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mchaggis World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 03:05 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
You only bought it a month ago, and you're thinking about selling out already?! If you're worried about it getting stolen, sell the RVF and get a hack which no-one would look at, and some decent security.
At the risk of seeming rude, if your ma tells you she doesn't like you riding and wants you to stop, tell her where to get off. Not quite that abruptly of course.
Explaining and demonstrating that you're responsible, take all precautions you can and no unnecessary risks might go a little way to helping calm her fears. Try a post-test training course to prove your dedication to riding more safely. Mothers worry. It's what they do. She'll get over it. Just don't crash in the mean time. ____________________ I must not be a troll...
Mmmm, Guinness
Discovering the delights of Hammerite and a 3/4" brush.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tokarev |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tokarev World Chat Champion
Joined: 20 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 03:26 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I am in exactly the same position as you.
Live and commute in London. Have to park my bike in the London streets. My parents WERE worried about me riding (wanted me to get a car instead of 'dangerous' motorbikes) and I am also a poor student.
My mum and dad didn't want me to get the bike last year, saying that I was going to have an accident etc...but I really wanted it and so got it. The more time passed and miles on the bike went by, my parents worrying got less and less. Now a little more than a year onwards and they don't worry. They think it's good that I'm out and about on the bike rather than stuck indoors.
Now I have a hefty student fee to pay this year aswell. To make things worse is that I have absolutely NO money in the bank! The easy option would be to sell the bike and use the money to pay for that. But I love the bike too much, so what I am going to do is get a job (a couple of days per week), get out a loan, pay off the student fee with the loan and then pay back the loan money with my pay money from work. (Much harder than last years lazing around and sleeping till 2pm!).
The parking situation is a bit harder to really deal with. I just use a big chain through the backwheel and a disck lock at the front. If you can get a bike cover aswell as this will help to not draw attention to the sporty look of the bike and hence thieves. It's all I can do.
But it is up to you and how much you want the bike. Hope this helps though.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tokarev |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tokarev World Chat Champion
Joined: 20 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 03:28 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Oops, I voted for the wrong option by mistake. I meant ' No - Keep the bike'  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mattgt |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mattgt Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 18 Feb 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| kath600 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 kath600 Trackday Trickster

Joined: 14 Dec 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 08:41 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: Re: Genuine desperate help needed please... |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| headlamp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 headlamp World Chat Champion

Joined: 26 Nov 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| quacker_boy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 quacker_boy Cuddle Bitch

Joined: 06 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tintin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tintin Traffic Copper

Joined: 23 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:54 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
You should be OK if it's chained to a lampost and covered, most bikes that are knicked are not chained to somthing solid.
Do a Bikesafe course with the police, this will help you mum feel you are trying to be a safe rider.
https://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Bikesafe/Bikesafe2000/england/london/cityoflondon.html
Last of all, you're a student, all students are supposed to be poor, live off beans on tast and beer, save money by not washing and get a bar job. ____________________ The older I get the better I was |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ragdoll |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ragdoll Spanner Monkey

Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:19 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
OK, as I see it, your bike is insured so if the worst does happen it's not the end of the world. As many of the guys have already said, you're a student, you won't have this freedom all your life so make he most of it. You have years ahead of you to be sensible.
Now, speaking as a mother, it doesn't matter what you do...we worry, it's our job. We worry about you not eating properly, we worry about you crossing the road, we worry about you stubbing your toe! However, at the end of the day, it's your life and no-one can live it for you. If your bike makes you smile, I'd say keep it.
*ETA I should just say that my kids don't think I'm normal anyway, they think mums should drive sensible cars and not know the words to Linkin Park songs so my advice might not be the best  ____________________ 1st bike - Honda Rebel; 2nd bike - CBR125; next bike - husband's 'blade hehehehe
Lancashire Bikers Facebook Group |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sparks! |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sparks! Sir Tart-a-lot

Joined: 30 Aug 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:22 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
My mum said she would throw me out if I bought a bike.
That was 2 years ago, I've had about 10 bikes since then, she's been on two rideouts with us and has been to a local bike club meet at the pub a good few times, as well as making friends with some of the people there..!
She still worries about me, and me showing her pics of my KTM upside down in a ditch doesn't help but she understands that I'm never going to give up and she respects that...
So basically all I'm saying is that your mum will come round to the fact you ride a bike sooner or later.. don't let her stop you, she will learn to understand soon enough etc...
She even asks me to print track day/wheely pics so she can show her friends at work  ____________________ Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Gazdaman |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Gazdaman I did a trackday!!!

Joined: 12 Aug 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Mongrel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Mongrel Scooby Slapper

Joined: 29 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 13:37 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
Fairly simple really, let Mummy buy and insure you a car.
Keep the bike chained to a lamp post with a ferkin' great chain and lock and when you have a bit of time and decent weather conditions...just let the good times roll...on two wheels
If you ever try and drive your bike while I'm around then expect a good slapping and also, it's about time you got a job, sponging bloody students
Do NOT sell the bike, you WILL miss it and WILL regret it. I did for about 7 years before I decided to sod everyone who disapproved and bought the Thundercat.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| sickpup |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 sickpup Old Timer

Joined: 21 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| quacker_boy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 quacker_boy Cuddle Bitch

Joined: 06 Sep 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| A J |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 A J Scooby Slapper

Joined: 04 Mar 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:30 - 29 Oct 2005 Post subject: |
 |
|
I am in the same position, im a 19 year old student and my mum doesnt like me riding etc.
But after being skint etc and all the bad points riding a bike is well worth it to me.
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| muddycoffee |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 muddycoffee Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 18 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|