Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Spray painting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

True Blue
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Spray painting Reply with quote

I've bought myself a compressor and I was wondering what type of compressor spray gun is best for painting a bike? Also what type of paint do I need and where's the best place to get it?

Cheers Thumbs Up
____________________
Past >>>> Honda NSR 125 >>>> Suzuki GSXR 600 K1 >>>> Suzuki GSXR 600 K4 >>>>Kawasaki Z1000 DAF >>>>Suzuki RMZ 250 >>>> Current >>>> KTM Superduke R 1290 >>>>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cobralads.com/butcher32.html

https://www.autobodyonline.com/

https://www.airheadairbrush.com/iwata_spray_guns.htm

www.autobodytoolmart.com


Go with a gravity feed HVLP gun, Devilbis GTi is nice. If the bike in question isn't covered in nancyboy fairings you could use a Devilbis SRi.

The compressor test is:
Run the gun wide open (dry, no fluid) on all settings for 2 minutes, if the compressor kicks in you need a bigger one. HVLP guns use a LOT of air, most 6hp/60gal compressors can't keep up with them...

paint:
https://www.acronpaints.co.uk/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I'll need a gun that doesn't use so much air. It's only 3 HP. Confused
____________________
Past >>>> Honda NSR 125 >>>> Suzuki GSXR 600 K1 >>>> Suzuki GSXR 600 K4 >>>>Kawasaki Z1000 DAF >>>>Suzuki RMZ 250 >>>> Current >>>> KTM Superduke R 1290 >>>>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew



Joined: 05 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a conventional gun then.... but expect to put most of the paint into the air instead of where you're aiming it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:59 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Jawel paints www.jawel.co.uk for paint.

When I brought the compressor I got an air tool kit that had a spray gun in it along with tyre inflator, degreaser gun, hose etc. Brought another low pressure gun for about 20 quid. Both work fine for the general stuff I use them for. Just take your time and go for multiple thin coats.

BTW Autumn is a real bad time for spraying due to the humidity, and you need to keep the temperature up.

I would suggest you either go on a course at the local college or buy the cheapest paint possible and just practise.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt I'll be using it to spray paint anytime soon, but I'd like to have the stuff handy for when I get round to it. I never actually bought the compressor for spraying bikes etc. but I thought I might as well dabble with it. Smile
____________________
Past >>>> Honda NSR 125 >>>> Suzuki GSXR 600 K1 >>>> Suzuki GSXR 600 K4 >>>>Kawasaki Z1000 DAF >>>>Suzuki RMZ 250 >>>> Current >>>> KTM Superduke R 1290 >>>>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 2.27 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 49.08 Kb