Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring France

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2005 - 18:50)
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris___
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:40 - 04 Nov 2005    Post subject: Touring France Reply with quote

Im currently in the planning stages of my France tour on my bike for next year. Can anyone give me advice on good roads and nice places to visit? The main place for me is the alps and riding the mountain roads but obviously I dont want to take the most boring direct route to get there. Any help much appreciated Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Savage-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 04 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrive in france, head southish, get lost, ask people along the way, find alps, repeat in reverse to get home

best way to get anywhere, just go and get lost. It makes you feel like youve acomplished something when you get there.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 04 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head down the N21, Limoges, Bergerac, Perigeaux, Agen. It's a nice road to drive down to the Pyrense (sp) on. I recommend finding a route through the Norman coast from calais, then down through Everaux, Dreaux, Chatres (bypassing Paris completely).

The loire valley is very beautiful and i can recommend you visit a few towns in that area. Le Mans is kinda like a french equivalent of Leicester so nothing too exciting there, but the towns around there are beautiful. D957 from Vendome to Blois is a main arterial route in the area, but if you're crafty with a map, some bloody stunning roads darting between woods Thumbs Up

Definately visit the Loir valley if you're heading south. Avoid the Peage cos it's dead boring and too many fucking european drivers undertake and enjoy being french Evil or Very Mad Middle Finger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ali-b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:55 - 04 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pyrenees were excellent riding too (got pegs scraped a few times Wink)

Crossed the border into Spain a few times, and went thru Andorra (which smells!!)

A.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 04 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Chatres route as a decent enough way to head south, though not in anyway a good road. Also did the N21 which was pleasant enough(though nothing compared to the twisties you'll experience in the Pyranees). The N85 down in the south east of France is a good road(though I rode it in terrential rain).

I generally wasn't too impressed with France... It's hard to get anywhere fast without using the Autoroutes as the main roads all go through lots of towns and villages. Marseille looked to be a very beautiful city(I only rode through it though) and a good bet as a major stop off on the Med. Don't go to Cannes though, it's shite. Also, it's a myth that there are no Speed cameras in France - I saw several and also got caught in a speedtrap operated by a couple of Gendarmes(22Euros please!).

Get yourself a guidebook(Lonelyplanet is very thorough) which will help you find places to stay and pick out a sightseeing itinerary. Definately go to Paris, if only to ride around lost for a few hours Smile

jon p
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:55 - 04 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a stupid question but how old or what license do you need to go over to france or spain?
cheers
sounds like fun! Very Happy

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 04 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 Years old to ride in france. So if you're 17 with a full license, you still have to abide by their laws, meaning that you won't be able to ride your bike in europe. Harsh innit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 05 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Nice for a year (only came back this september).... if you head down that way there are some nice roads just inland from the coastal tourist area.... look around grasse and the gorge de verdon. Its beautiful.

If your route takes you down that way send me a PM, I can recommend some cool places to visit and decent restaurants/clubs/bars Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1