Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Discursive topic - Green Laning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 11 Nov 2005    Post subject: Discursive topic - Green Laning Reply with quote

I wrote this essay for school. As so far 100% of my schoolwork is in some way motorbike related. Anyhoo, ive already handed it in, and some of the figures are probably wrong, but i thought you might get a tickle from it!

Perhaps a subject closest to my heart is a form of off road motor biking, called Green Laning. First of all it’s important to know the differences between off road motor biking and green laning. Off road motor biking consists of any type of motorbike used on private land, the rider requires no MOT, tax or riders certificate, the rider doesn’t even have to use ANY protective equipment, as long as he has permission from the local land owner. On the other hand “Green laning” consists of a fully road legal bike and user (e.g. MOT’d, properly silenced, Taxed, roadworthy and the rider must hold the appropriate license for the size of bike he rides.) Green laning is performed mostly by Off road motor bikers, but is also followed by 4x4 trucks in some instances. Also it should be noted that Green laning is performed on “legal” carriageways that usually see little or no use. Green laners usually prefer to use unsurfaced, rarely used roads, meaning that sometimes they can disturb their natural or local inhabitants.

Recently the government has changed the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Bill to effectively outlaw all use of motorised vehicles on green lanes. This includes trail bikes, 4x4’s, quad bikes, or any other type of motorised transport, perhaps electric wheelchairs next? The new law has came as a surprise to such organisations, such as the Trail Riders Fellowship, as they have worked closely with the government in the past, trying to make Green Laning clearer in the eyes of the law. Green Laning has effectively been around since the invention of the combustion engine, but now is suddenly coming to an abrupt end. The government DOES have its reasons for doing this, but the reasons it has hardly give motive for an outright ban on Green Laning.

Because of a motorbikes relatively loud nature many inhabitants (human and animals alike) can be disturbed by their presence. Many people in older age often retire to a country cottage to spend their golden years. Unfortunately in the country side is where the majority of “green laning” takes place. The government also thinks that, because of the motorbikes loud nature, that they disturb wildlife, when although the sound might, the lanes where people choose to perform the Green Laning are usually very small and would disturb a VERY small amount of wildlife. Yes, perhaps there are flaws in the system, some green lane users have fitted after market (and often illegal) parts to their motorcycles. Most aftermarket parts are fine, but the “End can” which is essentially the silencer for the bike is usually the main item which is changed. This does make the bike perform better, but often also pushes the bikes noise output over the legal limits. But yet again, our government seems to make its problems disappear by banning it, due to a small indescrepincy, rather than having it policed properly, if it’s really necessary at all. All road bikes are currently intended to be silenced within the legal limits to pass their MOT test, right now this limit is around 160dB, but by the looks of it, this may be dropped lower down to 96dB (which, for the record is about as much noise as a hair dryer produces). The fact that the bike has to conform to these rules alone, should mean that the majority of green lane users are well within the legal noise pollution limit, and are not using with intent to cause disturbance. Perhaps next they will ban music concerts, due to their large noise outputs.

Another argument for banning Green laning is that the vehicles who perform green laning churn up the ground on which they are constantly used. Sadly, with certain Green Laners, mostly 4x4 drivers, this is true. However the Trail Riders Fellowship code of conduct does say, “Wheels can damage crops and grass. Wandering from the road onto farmland or moor land is trespassing.” This makes sure that any members of the TRF do not unnecessarily damage to valuable ground. Although 4x4’s do churn up the ground, unless the ground is extremely wet, its very hard for a motorbike to be able to do this without harsh braking or acceleration. Also it should be noted that the grass on these routes does rapidly regrow and recover from use, and within 2-3 months, the ground would be back to normal. It’s also reasonable to ask WHY the government would like to ban this on the basis of some churned up ground. The ground has been damaged by man since the beginning of time, its easy to destroy ground, a simple horse and carriage would have done the damage of many, many, many more motorbikes back in the days when they were widely used.

This brings us to the next argument. Since horses have used these paths since before the engine was invented, does that give them more right of way other than motorbikes? The TRF advises its members to always give way un-grudgedly to horses and their riders.

An extract from the TRF guide :”Slow right down, or even stop, if the way is narrow. This may seem unnecessary to us but it is reassuring to the passer-by; it also allows the exchange of greetings. Stop your engines if there are horses or anyone indicates a wish to have a word; never refuse to speak to anyone (a quiet word can also help to reassure a nervous horse).”

Its always a concern that motorbikes, either moving at speed, or making loud noises, could startle a horse and cause the rider to fall off. Most trail riders respect this, but there is a deeper argument here. No matter how polite and careful trail riders are around horses, it always seems that the horse riders give the feeling that they are not supposed to be there. At a glance you would say, maybe they are right. But horse riders are also able to invade on a motorcyclist’s territory: the roads. I myself over the year or so that I have been on the biking scene have heard the rants and rave’s of many a biker, who has had to slow down, and still got a scowl from a horse rider, or the classic of the biker who was thrown off his bike after slipping on a large pile of horse mess, on the road. You have to ask yourself, in this day and age, is it really sensible that a horse with an average speed of (around) 5mph should be allowed to take up a lane a road where the limit could be 70mph? Not only this, but the horse riders don’t pay road tax, or any other sort of tax for that matter, and therefore pay nothing towards keeping the roads tidy. Also, if a car would were to pass a bike at 70mph on a dual carriageway, would the motorbike be startled and throw its rider off? I think not. My point being that horses are living creatures and are therefore unpredictable, they are a danger to all road users.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, you must ask: will banning it make it go away? Many people are adamant that this definitely will not solve the problem. People will carry on using green lanes, legal or not, it SHOULD be their right too. Since this is going to be made illegal, why bother with tax, MOT or even a license? And who will enforce the laws? The police? Their time is stretched thinner than an elastic band supporting a ton weight, chasing after the real criminals, or so we are told (it’s usually harassing bikers elsewhere for doing 31mph in a 30mph zone). Even if the police were to devote time to catching these ‘would be’ illegal green laners, they are ill equipped to catch high power motorbikes, although certain regions do have off-road motorcycles at their disposal, but callout times give time enough for a leisurely getaway and a cup of tea on the way.

In conclusion, it’s easy to see that the government hasn’t done its homework on this subject. The decision has been taken hastily without consulting any of the major groups involved (apart from the anti green laning campaigners). It would appear that not only have the government not thought about researching the actual use of green lanes, they seem to have overlook the consequences of the proposed ban, this shows the new legislation to be nothing but the result of a scared child, wanting to destroy that which it does not understand. It could even be taken as far as to say that bikers have a right to road use green lanes, being roads themselves, why should they be taken in exception? If the legislation goes through, then you better start selling your petrol lawnmower, because I can assure you, they will come for it next.

Let me know what you think![/list]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Section59
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:48 - 12 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your teacher should give you a pat on the back for that brilliant essay. (Aswell as an A+)

Banning greenlanes, or anything for that matter, will not stop someone doing something that they want to do.

It'll make it harder, but it certainly wont stop anyone.

Biker-Kev
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:18 - 15 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you are a good boy. A+++

But assuming she aint a biker, she probably wont even bat an eyelid at the points brough up in there.

just give it a tick and put it to bottom of the pile.

Kev

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 22 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the kind words lads Thumbs Up
Unfortunetly even though it passed when i gave the printout in, it needed to be reduced to notes and done again from memory to pass the test. Basicly i failed the test! I get another resit, and if i fail that, senior management make a descision on wether or not to let me have another resit. If i fail again i get turfed from the course Thumbs Down

Only reason i posted it is because it seemed like a waste of time and energy to just have it sit in a pile somewhere in the SQA, never to be looked at again. Maybe it will ultimately go to use one day Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:49 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

160dB? Oh dear. Laughing 12 gauge shotguns, jet engines on reheat, that sort of thing, sat on the end of your desk. 160dB would be at least unsilenced entirely, and even then it would be pushed to get that high.

The driveby noise limit for road vehicles (certainly for cars anyway) is 74dBA. Donington Park has a limit for 98dbA for quiet track days, as do some other places. I imagine that's where the government plucked their figure from. Good essay otherwise. Thumbs Up

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 09 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling some of the figures were a bit dodgey. They were pretty much made up on the spot for arguements sake, probably should have put some research into it Laughing

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:58 - 03 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman - you are in SCOTLAND.

We don't have green lanes, and there is no such law as trespassing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

goatblower
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 03 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source/Activity Indicative noise level aB (A)

Threshold of hearing 0
Rural night-time background 20- 40
Quiet bedroom 35
Wind farm at 350m 35-45
Car at 40mph at 100m 55
Busy general office 60
Truck at 30mph at 100m 65
Pneumatic drill at 7m 95
Jet aircraft at 250m 105
Threshold of pain 140

Space Shuttle is reputedly 180 = immediate permanent hearing damage if you're daft enough to get close to it

well somebody might be interested!!!

MikeH
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:12 - 03 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a foot in both camps 4x4 and bike and I would say that your assumption that 4x4s churn up the ground is based on one of no or little experience.

I often take my Landrover on outings and follow GLASS guidelines which recommend that if a lane is too wet to drive without causing damage then don't drive it, this goes for bikes too they can and do damage lanes when driven agressively or at high speed with big knobbly's on, same as 4x4's.

The problem is not the vehicles but the attitude of a minority of drivers who don't give a damn, I see many examples in the welsh hills of bike trails off the byway up hillsides etc that shouldn't be there, and likewise with vehicle trails all though not as often as it's easier for a 2 ton Landrover to get stuck !

Unfortunately these are the very people that our precious do gooder government want to stop, but they are also the very people that will flout legislation.

Its the old story that the few will spoil it for the many, and our government seems intent on pandering to the few whingers that if affects. The grey haired ramblers association is the biggest threat as they have loads of spare time to lobby MP's so they can have the countryside to themselves........as if they haven't already got enough with the Right to Roam bill that went through recently.

Makes my blood boil this damn country anything that is remotely like fun gets banned !! F'kin Nanny State !!

[/RANT OFF]

Mike Wink

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 04 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcIdBuRnZ wrote:
Aikman - you are in SCOTLAND.

We don't have green lanes, and there is no such law as trespassing Laughing

Yep, i realised this half way through the essay, but with the brutal time limits your given during higher, theres no time to change subject. Anyhoo, i never specificly mentioned a location did i? And yeh i kinda guessed that the sound figures were wrong, but hey, mayaswell use hyperbole's to get my arguement across Mr. Green . Also Mike i can understand what you say about 4x4's, but infact when i wrote this essay i knew very little about green laning at all, i used a combination of common sense, guesswork and the Trail Riders Fellowship site to pull the essay off. But when i read it before i handed it in i thought it was a waste, why write something so full of opinion to someone who doesnt give a shit? So i brought it here to you folks, who obviously do give a shit Very Happy . Anyhoo, thanks for the interest folks! I thought this topic was dead! By the way if anyone wants to use my essay for campaigning purposes (HA! as if), feel free to use it at will. Hopefully it would change something!

Whats the current situation on green laning anyways?

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:42 - 04 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikman666 wrote:
Whats the current situation on green laning anyways?

Don't you have to follow that new 'Countryside Rules' pish that's been advertised on TV?

I.e. give way, slow down for others, dogs on leash etc etc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:32 - 04 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:32 - 04 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEE ME. Laughing
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1