New bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 22:30 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: New bike Reply with quote

Hiya everyone, another entertaining post from your resident Jefferson. Laughing

My Dad recently bought a new bike, a Suzuki DRZ400. It has £600 of sports exhaust on it, on a 53 plate. I intend to have a go down the local offroading track, or just a field to get used to it. As I only ride a crosser myself (50cc of pure unadulterated power), and it's not very powerful, what can I expect the transition to be like?

I have been offroad on mine before, but it was sort of a dirt track, and with little to no jumps. Has anyone had any experience with this bike before? Or a similar type? Will it be easy to get into or really hard to grasp?

And what do you think of the bike? Smile (It's not the same bike, just model. More pictures this weekend Thumbs Up)

https://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/suzuki-drz400s-03-bikepics-078880.jpg

Cheers,

Karma Joe Karma

Last edited by phantomtek on 00:34 - 21 May 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

space
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:36 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

£800 for a DRZ! Shocked how you manage that so cheap? 50cc to 400cc! Shocked You sure you'll be ok on this! Thats a big increase
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 22:42 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because it was stolen and recovered I think. I hope I'll be ok, I was kinda hoping you guys could advise me on that. I will be respecting the bike, not ragging it's nuts off.

Laughing

Last edited by phantomtek on 00:35 - 21 May 2006; edited 1 time in total

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it got a logbook and everything?

Bargain, I say! Karma Thumbs Up

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 22:53 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yzf750r wrote:

I think so, it's just the frame models or something has been scratched off. As far as I know it's all legit, my Dad ain't stupid enough to deal in knocked off motorcycles. Wink

And cheers Thumbs Up

yzf750r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
yzf750r wrote:

I think so, it's just the frame models or something has been scratched off. As far as I know it's all legit, my Dad ain't stupid enough to deal in knocked off motorcycles. Wink

And cheers Thumbs Up

Im not saying your dad is stupid Karma I have bought bikes before where you dont get the logbook, save a few hundred quid and risk the chance of it being wrote off etc.

But good buy, and like whats been said, go careful!

Bloody nice though! Cool Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:01 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to shit and piss your pants similtaneously!

Be very careful. Last time I saw one of those being ridden off road, the rear wheel never did exactly the same speed as the rest of the bike. Opening the throttle too quickly can easily result in you landing on your arse with a hot motorcycle on top of you.

I'm not going to tell you to try something slower offroad before you go out on a stupidly highly tuned and lightweight 4-stroke enduro bike straight from a moped because you are a teenager and wont listen.

Wear your gear and don't go out offroading by yourself on it until you know what you are doing (someone needs to help lift it off your leg/phone the ambulance when you fall off).

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 23:07 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

Never said you did Zeffer, sorry if it seemed that way Smile

Stinkwheel, thanks alot for the advice it was just what I needed to know. I just hope the weather is nice (Although cold), I will be taking full precautions and my Dad will be coming with me to watch over me.

Quote:
I'm not going to tell you to try something slower offroad before you go out on a stupidly highly tuned and lightweight 4-stroke enduro bike straight from a moped because you are a teenager and wont listen.

LOL.

It's not a moped Sad, but I get your point. I would try something slower but I have nothing to try Laughing So taking into account all your advice I'm gonna try my best not to die Smile. Anymore posts are greatly appreciated.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:57 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put it another way:

RYZ 50
Weight: 95kg
Power : at a guess 5bhp, 8bhp at the outside (correct me if I'm wrong).

DRZ400
Weight: 119kg
Power: 40ish bhp

So only 25kg heavier with at least five times the horsepower. Thinking

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 17 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

£800? Lucky git.

That is all. Whistle

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 00:06 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
To put it another way:

RYZ 50
Weight: 95kg
Power : at a guess 5bhp, 8bhp at the outside (correct me if I'm wrong).

DRZ400
Weight: 119kg
Power: 40ish bhp

So only 25kg heavier with at least five times the horsepower. Thinking

Jesus. 5bhp is about right to be honest, and oh jesus.

And yeah he was well jammy getting that price Laughing

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 00:38 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

First. Shocked £800, lucky c*nt!

Clutchwork. Let the clutch out with no revs 'til you feel it bite, then, let it out even slower. Big torquey singles have sheet loads of torque and if your not careful it'll just wheely/spin up off the mark. you really need hardly any throttle movement to get one of these bikes moving. So none of that full throttle/slipping the clutch l00nacy that you do on the 50!

Power. Once you've gotten a feel for the clutchwork (as it's a hell of a lot different to a 50) then you really need to get a feel for the power, so do a few laps around a car park or somewhere, be progressive with the throttle and dont stab it. And whatever you do, don't pin the throttle back in 1st.

Engine braking. Engine braking will be very very immense, especially coming from a 50cc 2 stroke with zero engine braking, so make sure your prepared for it when you back off the throttle.

Changing down gears. Changing down gears will be different to the 50 as well, you can't just pull the clutch in, drop and cog and dump the clutch again, you'll need to let the clutch out smoothly and slowly, just as you did when you were pulling off, either that or blip the throttle on downchanges so you can match the gearbox/engine speed.

Finally, don't panic. If you try and think about too many things it's likely you will f*ck up, it should come naturally you as to how to behave, what to do etc...

Have fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 00:44 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh jesus. Thanks Dom_ that is really helpful Thumbs Up

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 01:03 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DRZ isn't a super light super fast machine like stinkwheel was trying to make out. It's a good introduction to off-road, if you're tall enough to get your feet down anyway.. problem is it'll be heavy so be careful... easy enough to ride in trail riding/messing about/enduro type riding... just take it easy and don't rush and you'll be fine.

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the first time I rode my KLR600 after my DT125. It felt absoloutly massive and had masses of torque compared to the DT. I just took it really really easy and didn't pin the throttle or do anything stupid like that.

Basically, do what Dom_ said and take it very easy for a while because the DRZ will hurt you if you don't respect it.

But don't forget to have fun!!

And damn, £800 Shocked. Madness.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:29 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
The DRZ isn't a super light super fast machine like stinkwheel was trying to make out.

I stand corrected then.

I thought the 400 was more focused than the DR650 and my mates 650 supermoto could be a bit of a handful if you were heavy handed with it.

It'll feel like you're sitting on a cruise missile after riding a 50 though Wink

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 09:05 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I thought the 400 was more focused than the DR650 and my mates 650 supermoto could be a bit of a handful if you were heavy handed with it.

It'll feel like you're sitting on a cruise missile after riding a 50 though Wink

I would say that it is more focused than a 650, but it's also a lot smaller engine etc.. it's built for reliability etc.. it's not slow, but it's nothing compared to competition bikes. But as i say it's a great bike to learn on and it's still very capable (other than MX)

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 15:57 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies guys, although Stinkwheel was slightly out on the weight, he was damn accurate when he says it's going to be weird and a weird feeling., and bloody fast compared.

I'm probably going to go on it this weekend, I'll let you all know how it goes Thumbs Up

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

we shall light the candles for you Wink

space
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:02 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

any pics of your bike?

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek

PostPosted: 17:03 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/Phant0mtek/DSCF0013.jpg

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/Phant0mtek/DSCF0012.jpg

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/Phant0mtek/Image007.jpg

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/Phant0mtek/Image008.jpg

space
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:02 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

errrrr some how i dont think thats a DRZ! let alone a 400cc! Shocked

space
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:03 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I meant a the pic of the DRZ

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the first post ^^

space
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:23 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not his DRZ tho
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2