Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Super moto/Moto X track as a business.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Super moto/Moto X track as a business. Reply with quote

This is just a pipe dream at the mo, but i do have access to a substantial amount of money that will be loaned to me interest free to start my own business if i so wish.So let me just ask your opinion on an idea....

With the death knell to legal green laning and the rise in interest in Supermoto/ Moto X, Do you think a track/trail would be a viable business option in the South East?

Without doing much research at all (intending to use you guys as a lazy option), i get the impression that there are not very many locations to get involved in these sports, apart from private farmland.

There is a bunch of land not to far away from where i live that is going on sale cheap, as its by a motorway and also partially wooded.
Would (not getting into the intricacies of planning permission) a dirt/tarmac smoto track be a worthwhile investment. As far as i can see, after initial expenditure on land and building materials for teh track, maintenance costs would be low. Charging an amount for the equivalent of trackday (although not at such high prices) would be initial route of income, then moving onto buying some machines that would be hireable. This would be coupled with someone to maintain the machines. Insurance would be a waiver slip for people bringing their own bikes, but more of a problem when it comes to hireable bikes.

Basically, do you reckon such a business idea (however vague it sounds right now) has any legs to it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 09:03 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Re: Super moto/Moto X track as a business. Reply with quote

Kaben wrote:
Insurance would be a waiver slip for people bringing their own bikes, but more of a problem when it comes to hireable bikes.

If only it was that easy.. there'd be loads of tracks if it was as simple as that.

Sorry but you need full liability insurance etc and it's NOT cheap nor easy to get.. hence why there aren't many tracks in the first place Sad

You'd also need an ambulance there every track day, security to stop people riding whenever they want, facilities etc.

Good idea but once you see insurance costs you'll soon change your mind and theres no way around insurance.. you'd be closed down pretty quick if you havent' got insurance and not only that but you have to comply to noise regulations etc etc... oh and you'd need to employ marshalls to make sure the track runs smoothly.. have decent access to the track from roads and also have a good car park/pit area as a lot of mxers have vans etc that need some space to unload.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 13:17 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance is your biggest problem, followed by noise.

By law you do not have to provide ambulance cover or even marshalls to run a practice track, the only time such things become necassary is if and when your insurance policy demands them. The reason insurance cover is expensive and hard to get is because it's an inherently risky activity with plenty of scope for Joe Public to fuck themselves up and run off to Claims Direct or another such ambulance-chasing outfit for a quick earner.

Having said that there are many MX practice tracks that operate without any form of liability insurance, usually run by farmers who keep 'under the radar' on such things.

Noise is the other killer issue, four stroke dirt bikes usually make an awful racket and when NIMBY locals become involved they usually don't last long or are forced to adopt strict restrictions. Just look at what happened to the Castle Coombe circuit when some meddling twat bought a house next to it, or the current noise restrictions being placed on Matchams MX park.

How about an indoor supercross track somewhere in London? Being contained in a building solves the noise issue and I'm sure there are a few suitably massive old warehouses around somewhere... Wink

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i knew the insurance would'nt be as simple as what i'd written, but i was in a very lazy, tired mood and couldnt be bothered to type.
Sound was something else i thought of whilst laying in bed.

An indoor track would work better as it wouldnt be afected by weather.
I think ANY large area of space, old or new is going to be expensive in London.
Perhaps moving just outside the M25 somewhere would provide cheaper overheads.

But basically, what im asking you guys.... Is there enough demand for such a business/is there growth in the market as far as you know?

I wouldnt want to set up, just to have three or four lads round a week to trundle round my ludicrously expensive to maintain/insure track.

Also, whats the scene like in Reading? Got some mates i could possibly move up to that area with Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some growth in the market.

An enduro / simpler track could be of interest now that green lanes are going I suspect. Would probably want to try and cram as much as possible on to land.

Hirebikes are a relatively minor thing.
I would look at other activities, especially for corporate events, like quads etc as well as less related things like paintball.

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, make a less focused eneterprise.....even if it was an indoor arena for example?

Basically i have the oppertunity to make a business that would be interesting for me to own/run. But it would need to be able to return on the enormous amount of efort i would have to put in.
I can see how paintball etc would be a nice side earner/source of income, but initially the project would have to have one focus purely for cost reasons and the like.

So you think that a motoX/smoto track/arena would not be a wildly succesful idea on its own?

I fully understand its a complicated idea, that would need some proper thought/time to create properly, but im trying to get an idea as to whether its worth expending that time/effort!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:57 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

An indoor arena would require a massive amount of work in my opinion. Are we talking at the very least hundreds of thousands you have access to?

I think you would have to be talking very big to ensure it was safe, complied with planning, blah, blah.

While you'd still have to be investing a lot in an off road track outside, it wouldn't have to be so much.

You won't be able to do off road bikes everyday, both because there's not enough people and from a noise point of view, so if you want to make full use of the land you will be paying for, I would be looking at other ways to make money from it as well.

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have access to at least 100K, but if i put together a decent business plan with projections, info on the market, its growth etc, and sources/routes of income i could get more.

An outdoor idea was my original choice, purely because it would be cheaper to run, but noise pollution would be more of an issue.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 17:40 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent indoor supermoto and MX track in the south would see bikers there at every opportunity. I know I would be.. I gave up supermoto due to lack of tracks as there just aren't any down south!

Good luck with that idea though, wouldn't hold your hopes up too much.

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i know. But my relative who would help finance is a bit of an entrapaneur and if he thinks it could be a hit/is on the up in popularity, he would send money my way(i hope lol!).
Gotta research into it and get facts/figures before i even bring the idea to him.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:29 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever really seen indoor supercorss tracks.
To make a decent mx or supermoto track you would need a massive amount of space, suspect we would easily be talking into the millions.

Supercross is usually a lot more tightly packed. All the corners are usually sqaure ones, with no decent fast corners and all the jumps close to each other - so that Americans can watch it in a nice dry areana where they don't have to get wet.
Obviously such a thing would require a massive business plan to justify the investment. I'm not sure anything like this has been done before.

I have wondered about ideas relating to coverings for bike tracks, but this would be for water prevention rather than noise prevention.

Bike noise is being clamped down on all the time, best bet would be to find an already noisey location, preferably with good landscape (ie hills all the way around).

Now an indoor minimoto track this end of the country could have possibilities Smile.

Last edited by G on 18:32 - 18 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only other thing for indoor is size.

bigger warehouses come with heftier rents per Sq Ft. How long/wide would you reckon an average track should be? obviously it twist back on itself within the area, but you want a decentish length straightaway.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 18 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be well worth you getting some first hand experience of what's currently available offroad-wise before making any big decisions.

Me and Sparks went down to Matchams last Sunday to watch an enduro and there's a so much going on there it's hard to believe. Not only did they have this 8 mile enduro track (not a 100% permanent one admittedly... yet at least) but they had a minimoto/kart track and a GP-spec MX track as well as pretty decent practice track. If you were considering a venue like this you should definitely get an idea of just what is currently around.

G's (I think, cba to read back Razz) dead right about there being potential for 'ambulance chasers' etc, specifically with something like an enduro where really anyone watching can get as close as they want to.

There is definitely a lot of interest in offroad riding though so I think if you could manage to pull of a good track of whatever kind people would be interested. Whether you could turn that into a profit or not I don't know, the startup costs would definitely be pretty high whatever kind of track you're looking at.

This is not a definitive list by any means but covers most of the bigger tracks around: Link. Also checkout TMX news to get an idea of where there are active offroading clubs/groups.

goony
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:06 - 20 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.westonsx.co.uk/

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 21 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i wish they had a more extensive site, looks impressive!

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 22 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you have in your advantage is that it could potentially cost very little to start up.

You could start a profit-sharing arrangement with the land provider (a farmer for instance), and so your only overhead would be cones, insurance and advertising (which you may not even need to begin with).

I wouldnt go ploughing thousands of pounds into it, until youve seen that it works.

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

going to go look in the thompson local/yellow pages for farmers who like bikes lol. Will probably be finished in about oooo, i dunno 10 seconds Wink Confused

Definitely worth investigating, but dont like the idea of what i possibly start up being pulled fom underneath me and taken over by the landowner.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:23 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaben wrote:

Definitely worth investigating, but dont like the idea of what i possibly start up being pulled fom underneath me and taken over by the landowner.

Should be able to sort out some sort of contract.

Need to find somewhere that you can run it regularly without the noise being too much of an issue - pretty hard these days.

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. Im going down the council next week to talk to a planning permission man. Gonna ask him what areas wouldnt have that restriction and ask for any advice/info he thinks is relevant.

Theres lots of motorway around here, so a bit of scrubland next to a noisy m-way/main road should be able to avoid noise restrictions.....fingers crossed.

Indoor is way out of my league though........looking at prices like £3 per Sq Ft!!!!!!! Thats insane, considering the space needed! would need serious inverstors and backing by a race organisation.....not what im looking for.
Gonna be outside, dirty, wet and a load of fun. Just means the track will need rebuilding more often.......

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:58 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motocross tracks often have to have sprinklers because they can get too dry - so it's not just the rain you have to look out for.

Also worth looking for industrial estates and big factories, especially those that run at weekends.

Me and Korn went to a field with a few trails around, just at the end of Heathrow - can't see there being too many complaints there!

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, im sure there wouldnt, but being next to a major airport, and our capital city may make it a tad expensive.
Easy to find though lol Laughing

Is partly why im going to see this council bloke. Hopefully he can point out some shitty places with space for sale that i can buy up cheaply without having to worry about noise regs.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:26 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is England's pretty densily populated and sound from off road bikes does travel a fair way when you've got 20+ of them.

Quite hard to find somewhere with enough distance to the cloeset houses or where there are people that will say "yes, I don't mind there being constant noise here at the weekends".

Kaben
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yarrr, tis true, tis true.

But gonna see what i can find out anyway.

numark1
Scared of girls

PostPosted: 14:05 - 28 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The track i used to go to by the M3/M25 Thorpe interchange went downhill when someone was killed on it. It used to cost me £35 for 3 half hour sessions which was quite expensive compared to the £15 all day it used to be. Very Happy

Scrap the idea and open up a night club. I was thinking of that but finance would be a problem as i would want a large building and have foam party's and shit.

Cool

Fatgreek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 08 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear it is possible to get a track after all Very Happy

We've just had word that our proposal has been well received by all parties including our local council, the police, community safetyb and residents and we hope to have our track in the near future.

Go for it Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2