Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Guess what I test-rode today!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:37 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Guess what I test-rode today! Reply with quote

This...

https://www.mtcmotorcycles.co.uk/StockImages/832.jpg

The weather wasn't quite as nice as you see in the photo though!

I had taken the day off work in an attempt to soothe the symptoms of Seasonal Affected Disorder, or commonly known as the November blues.

I decided that in order to cheer myself up, I would book a test ride on a bike. As I have had a soft spot for this Buell XB12R Firebolt for some time, I asked the dealer if I could test ride it.

I got up this morning and rode to the dealer, wondering all the way whether the Buell would feel any better in these conditions, as the TT600 was decidedly twitchy (no doubt not helped by the SuperCorsa Race Scrubs that G had sold me back in september... oops I don't think I gave him the money for them... Embarassed )

Anyway. I arrived at the dealer half expecting them to not let me go out on it due to the fog and cold conditions. As soon as I arrived Martin jumped up and told me that he was going to get the keys. He arrived back in a jiffy and started the bike up.

OWW! It wasn't just loud, it was LOUD! It had the Buell race kit installed and took a couple of backfires before it fired up into a loud rumble. I handed over my license and I swung my leg over the bike and revved it. Blimey! this is going to be fun!

I clicked the bike into first (which seemed a little imprecise) and pulled away onto the road. The first thing I noticed was the vibes from idle. The bike hops up and down like a mad thing, and you have to keep telling yourself that they are all like that, and it isn't going to shake itself apart. If you are lucky! Smile

The bike I rode (the one in the picture) had been fitted with aftermarket Renthal bars and so the riding position wasn't the same as a stock XB12R, but I did notice that the pegs were further forward than my TT6 and felt fairly high. The seat was high, but very narrow and actually rather comfy.

The dealer that I borrowed the bike from is in an urban area and so I had a slow ride down towards some faster roads to get used to the bike before I wound it on a little more. During this town riding I was grateful for the excellent balance and low speed maneuverability that the bike has. The Gut wrenching torque (which I had not yet felt the full effect of) was also useful for blatting into opening gaps in the traffic. I found the mirrors to be useless, but this may have been partly due to the aftermarket Renthal bars that are fitted to the bike. Some reviews of this bike I have read commented on the cheap switchgear... and yes it doesn't look quite as well done as a japanese or european bike, but it felt solid and did the job well. In fact I preferred the Buells indicator switch to the one on my TT.

As I approached a large roundabout I noticed that the brakes were not quite as sharp as my TT600 brakes, which I found odd as Martin had warned me about how powerful they were. I opened the throttle and negotiated the roundabout with ease, also noting that the bike didn't feel as skittish as the TT600, and actually felt quite slow turning, although the tyres and my brain were still cold.

I reached some faster roads with some twisty bits and began to really have some fun. The tyres were warmer now, and I noticed that the brakes had improved somewhat too. I found the bike turned easily, but was very stable and not at all twitchy. The TT600, although not a slap-happy bike, definately felt scarier on the turn-in after riding this bike.

The cornering stability was excellent, and although the weather prevented me from testing it to the best of my ability, I could feel that this was a good bike.

I reached a bit of dual carriageway and decided to sample the bikes monster torque. I noticed that the bike only has five gears, but later realised that it doesn't need the missing sixth cog.
I put the bike in fourth and wound on the throttle at 40mph.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked The throttle was to the stop and my heart missed a beat as my adrenal gland went into overdrive. When people talk of arm wrenching torque it is just a metaphor. Unless you have ridden this bike. The small fairing kept the windblast off enough for me to hook the last cog and open the throttle a bit again, and I was equally blown away by the engine.

The weather and the speed limit and my conscience (and the fact that I was riding a borrowed bike with a minute plate, an illegal exhaust and a stupid personalised registration) prevented me from topping 80, but I could feel the bike still had a lot more to offer. a LOT more. As I rode back to the dealer my confidence in the bike grew and I was glad I was riding the buell rather than my TT in these conditions. I blasted round a few slow speed twisties, filtered with confidence in town, and made mincemeat of cars off of the lights and through roundabouts. In town I tried to see if I could scare a few grannies with the loud evil sounding mad-max rumble, but they seemed unaffected. One old codger even looked over at me and smiled! That wasn't the effect I was looking for! Smile

As I approached the dealer I remember thinking that I didn't want to give the bike back, but as a kind of reminder the fuel light on the bike came on. I pulled up and stopped, again marvelling at the low weight and easy low speed maneuvering on a bike that is so stable on high speed corners.

I retrieved my license and my bike, and prepared to ride off. The TT felt wide and had a very low riding position in comparison. I felt like I was lying on my front. The TT also felt revvy and almost gutless, but it also felt easy to turn and strangely very good to ride. My confindence on the TT was boosted - I'm not sure if this is because I had been out of the biking 'groove' for so long, or if riding something that is completely different focussed me to the good points on my bike.

Riding the Buell restored my faith in my TT6, even though I was unaware I had lost it. That said, It will be a hard hard decision as to whether or not I go and see my bank manager and put a deposit down on the Buell.

https://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=224900435
https://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=224900441

Last edited by MarJay on 13:41 - 23 Nov 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 13:40 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome review Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:49 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

awwww nooooo

Goose is going to be highly jealous.......... Shocked as am I....

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I much prefer those style ox exaust to the underseat style.
Mind you riding a standard gpx250 leaves me wanting in a few areas. As said. farkin great post. Thumbs Up
One question though, hows the seat height on it ?

ZZR Girl
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:07 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top review! You should be working for the bike mags!

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how it would feel quite pokey, it's putting out nearly the same torque lower down the rev range as my Blade.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:19 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEN MONKEY wrote:
Actually I much prefer those style ox exaust to the underseat style.
Mind you riding a standard gpx250 leaves me wanting in a few areas. As said. farkin great post. Thumbs Up
One question though, hows the seat height on it ?

I did mention it but,
Its high yet narrow. The seat is higher than the TT600, but I could touch the floor as easily because it has such a narrow seat, and is such a narrow bike.
I'm only 5 feet 5 inches tall, and I could ride the thing easily. This might have been related to the fact that I didn't need to put my foot down as often, because of the balance! Smile

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something a bit different. Do Buell still get a hammering from JD Power?

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye gads.

You broke the unofficial rule of test rides. Tut Tut

"Thou must find each bike's top speed"

Laughing

Lovely bikes arent they. I prefer the unfaired versions though...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:34 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Ye gads.

You broke the unofficial rule of test rides. Tut Tut

"Thou must find each bike's top speed"

Laughing

Lovely bikes arent they. I prefer the unfaired versions though...

It was five degrees and foggy. I might have tried harder if I could actually see what was behind me! Laughing

Dianesefreak, I hear their reliability has improved, and what you said about the bike's torque was interesting because I think I'd rather have a bike that wasn't capable of 180mph, but still had loads of torque! Smile

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 14:47 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw that picture I didn't notice the join and thought it was a pic of a big one and a minimoto version. Embarassed

Bit out of it today.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:47 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review, I don’t know too much about the bike but at least I know it is brutal acceleration now.
What are these bikes like over all, as in reliability, as they are Harley does that mean solid?

Oh, buy it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were only talking of 5Nm too and about 2500rpm difference in delivery. I still find it mind blowing when I open the Blade up and I've had three of them so far. That's why it makes me smile when I see all the lads raving about the latest and greatest litre bike and how it's much better than the others. "I'd have the ZX10R, Suzuki K5, (insert next superlative)". Rolling Eyes I can openly admit that I've not even seen the gear change light illuminate on anything over 2nd gear on the country roads I ride. I'm quite happy I ride the bike I do on days like today and not something more focussed like the 10R. I've already had a few dodgy moments this month and my bike is the "boring " one.

I bought my previous Blade from Oxford Harley, I had to keep myself from having a worrying curiosity for the Firebolt when I was there! Wink If you can afford it why not? Any ideas on the insurance costs?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:34 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its insurance group 15 which is one above the TT6. I do really like it, and am due a small inheritance early next year.

Its on my shopping list! Smile

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:40 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a fan of test rides but I wdnt do one in this weather. I dont know what its like near you, but here its foggy so you cant see that far ahead and there are patches of ice around.

Nice pics, and review though. I was particulalry interested as I ahve heard they handle well and thats probably the most important thing for me.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:55 - 23 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
I dont know what its like near you, but here its foggy so you cant see that far ahead and there are patches of ice around.

Well, the fog and wetness is part of a real-world review and test, and there isn't any ice about today. I was lucky really.

Actually its better testing a bike in the wet because you get a feel for the confidence it inspires and grip you get. The TT felt skittish as I said, whereas the XB12R was quick turning, yet stable and confidence inspiring. I suppose this could be to do with the tyres though...

DEN MONKEY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:45 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm only 5 feet 5 inches tall,

Thanks, thats the bit I was lookin for . I myself am 5'4 so low seat height to one person aint exaclty that for us short arses. Thumbs Up
Cheers

Dark
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have one if they put in a decent motor.

paulthewitt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice review. really like the look of them bikes aswell

Paul

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 12:14 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't like them.

But I believe they won best handling bike in Fast Bikes?

Think the RS125 came in second.

They guy had this thing on the hero blobs, and apparently took them off and leant further. Was capable of stupid angles of lean.

Thumbs Up

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Barney
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:15 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIKE magazine did a cornering test a few months ago and the Buell XB12R Firebolt came top, with the rs125 and triumph daytona 650 following. Nice review Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:19 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
I'd have one if they put in a decent motor.

Well, originally I though that because it has all of the other technical improvements in a bid (as I saw it) to overcome the shortcomings of the wheezy harley motor.

How wrong I was. I'm glad I kept an open mind before riding it (as I am certain that 99% of people who say they don't like this bike haven't ridden it) because it is the motor that makes the bike.

Lets take the car analogy. Imagine a Japanese car with a revvy engine such as an S2000. Now imagine dropping a Chevy V8 in there.

Now imagine that the car handles the same, or better than the original S2000. Sure, its top speed may not be as high, but it accelerates like a mad thing and makes a fantastic noise.

Wouldn't you be tempted?

I understand exactly why Erik Buell used this very motor in his bikes, it suits them. Its not manic in any way yet it has pure muscle. Its like a laid back yet strong american surfer dude, as compared to a manic japanese (or English in my case) elvis impersonator. They are both exciting but the japanese one feels almost tacky, whilst the american is the real deal.

It does make the motor in my TT feel flat and almost antiseptic, however the strange rattles that I imagined were there strangely disappeared after riding the Buell... the TT suddenly felt smooth as silk and about as strong.

To add another metaphor to this post, the TT600 is a silk scarf. Its smooth, and strong enough but a bit namby pamby. Whereas the Buell is a leather belt: Stong, Rough, tough and you wouldn't want to be hit by it! Smile

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:26 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MarJay"]
I understand exactly why Erik Buell used this very motor in his bikes, it suits them. Its not manic in any way yet it has pure muscle. Its like a laid back yet strong american surfer dude, as compared to a manic japanese (or English in my case) elvis impersonator. They are both exciting but the japanese one feels almost tacky, whilst the american is the real deal. [quote]
Haven't ridden a buel of this type, but have an idea of the engine power delivery from other similar engines.

I'd say it's more like an Americal wrestler vs a Japanese Akido combatant.

Sure the American has the looks and a lot of grunt, but they'd get their arse's kicked by someone that actually knew what they were doing.

Hourses for courses an' that though, I appreciate, some like a lazy engine while some like to have to work the engine.

Wouldn't mind trying one sometime, always liked the idea presented by the pre-release hype, but suspect I will be appropriately disapointed.

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 900 & loved it!! The noise is fookin awesome and you definately get looks as you go past!! Great review, i've been meaning to get myself back down to Harley to try the 1200 & maybe a custom classic just for the hell of it!

Must say, Harley are superb for test rides, always really enthuiastic to get you on one of their bikes even if they know you aint in the league to buy one Thumbs Up Same can't be said for a lot of other dealerships.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 24 Nov 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear is there a Harley appreciation group forming? Do you want me to organise a group buy of leather chaps? Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2