Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Did you buy a Big bike before having a full license

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

NSR_KID
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:49 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Did you buy a Big bike before having a full license Reply with quote

I was just wondering who had actually gone and bought a bike which was illegal for them to ride at that particular time, ie never had a full license.

If so which bike did u buy and how old where you?

Cause i was thinking of buying a zx6r which is at a bloody barguin price, however my dad told me that i was mad Twisted Evil , he said get the license 1st, but i found the bike to be sooooooooo cheap Wink
____________________
If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a CBR600RR without ever riding a bike before Thumbs Up

One of the best things I ever did.

Is there a reason this ZX6R is so cheap?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did.

Had an XJ600 sitting in my garage for about a month before my test.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.

My ZXR was sat in the garage for 5 weeks before I did my test.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:59 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not; I'm looking at getting my test done before buying a bike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR_KID
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Probably not; I'm looking at getting my test done before buying a bike.




Oh ure one of the sensible ones Twisted Evil lol
____________________
If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:04 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Re: Did you buy a Big bike before having a full license Reply with quote

NSR_KID wrote:
...If so which bike did u buy and how old where you?


A GPZ500 Thumbs Up

And don't be so cheeky, young man. You should never ask old people the age they are (or were) Wink Razz



____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!


Last edited by The Old Geeza on 15:06 - 04 Dec 2005; edited 3 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two GPZ's sitting in the back garden waiting for me to do my test
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
zxr6_Rulez This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
zxr6_Rulez This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:08 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it made me want to get through my test even more, knowing I had a bike sat there ready for me to jump on the seocnd I passed my test.

I'm quite impatient so I would of been pissed off knowing I could ride something and then having to go and look for a bike.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Is there a reason this ZX6R is so cheap?


'Cos it's not expensive Shocked Wink Shocked

(My turn for a change Wink )


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colezxr
Traffic Copper



Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i bought my zxr400 5 months before having my licence. gave me plenty of time to clean it up. Very Happy
____________________
Its better to live your life for one hour as a tiger, Than it is to live your whole life like a worm.
past: gilera dna125. kawasaki zxr400h1, honda cbr 900rrr fireblade (currently being sold for parts). present honda hornet 900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:15 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two reasons that I wouldnt buy a big bike b4 having a full license

1) its tempting fate, I know of someone who bought a big bike and then had to sell it when he failed his test

2) once i passed, i could test ride loads of bikes and find out what bikes i liked. It would have been possible to test ride bikes without a full license but i wdnt have been comfortable doing it
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jonnay
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be, cos I've already got a 125. Maybe after I've done my test, or after the 2 years are up Thumbs Up
____________________
::'04 Yamaha Jog:: || ::'01 Honda NSR:: || ::'00 Suzuki Swift:: || ::'89 Swift GTi:: || ::'96 Swift Poverty Spec:: || ::'92 Swift GTi::
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) its tempting fate, I know of someone who bought a big bike and then had to sell it when he failed his test


I see it more of an incentive to get that pass certificate in your hands! Worked for me with both car & bike tests
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waited till i had my licence, mainly because i didn't trust myself; the lure of a shiny bike in the garage would have been too much for my limited powers of self-control.
Embarassed
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...



Joined: 25 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:22 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice Nurse has just reminded me of this...

I also bought my GPX250 before I'd even taken my CBT Shocked

Then sobbed all over it when I failed my first practical test Crying or Very sad

I then had to spend 3 hours cleaning and polishing it to prevent my tears sending it rusty Rolling Eyes


____________________
Horse Power was safer when the Horses had it!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:

I see it more of an incentive to get that pass certificate in your hands! Worked for me with both car & bike tests


Good point. I've had a car since April but I'm taking my test in January, started learning in September. I think the upside to having one is I can learn in it; this can't apply much to a bike, but it could shave a day of DAS off, particularly if you haven't learnt gears yet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 250 2 weeks before my first test - which I then failed! Rolling Eyes It was another 6 weeks before I actually got to ride it legally on the road.

I did still have my H100 to ride though, and I also got to ride the 250 on a private carpark whilst I was waiting.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Redd
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
Had an XJ600 sitting in my garage for about a month before my test.


Exactly the same as me. I found it far too tempting to take it out for an illicit spin so I had to give the keys to my dad with instructions not to let me have them until I passed.
____________________
Professional Uberslacker
2006 Kawasaki Z1000 - Black at the front, airbrushed fade to red at the back.
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200 Enduro project bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always things that need doing on a new (old) bike.

My dad has a bit of a fetish about these things, he will always strip a bike, look under the tank, (not sure what he's expecting to find, a skull or something). Change the oil.

WD40 various parts, normally strip the calipers.

And it's a damn good job he does these things. He found a seized caliper on the Bandit, and a snapped throttle cable. (only the one to close the throttle, didn't actually affect the working of it).

If you can't legally ride the bike it gives you time to find these sorts of things. And clean it.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brought my 50cc 3 months before l was 16

Brought two AF1 125,s before l turned 17



Oh and very 250+ bike l,ve owned right up to my YZF1000R has been over 33bhp so are all illegal to ride. Laughing
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first bike before I passed my test.

However I didn't get a car until about 2 months after I passed my test!

Not sure if it' applies.. but I failed my first (and second Razz) bike tests but passed car first time with 3 minors!
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:47 - 04 Dec 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first bike was 45bhp which I bought about a month before passing my 33bhp test. I didnt ride it before passing my test though.
____________________
Yamaha SZR660 Caution to the wind, the throttle pinned!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 309 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.79 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 130.17 Kb